Removing/Replacing Front Handles To Fit Axe In SKB Studio Flyer 4U

Luca9583

Inspired
Hi folks

I just got an SKB RSF4U Studio Flyer and the Axe II's handles stick out too much to be able to close the rack case.

I seem to remember that on the Mark 1 units the handles can only be removed by opening up the unit.

If so, what is the safe way to do this and are there any generic replacement handles available that are less deep that could work as a replacement part?

The handles are simply held by 2 screws in each so just take off the cover (carefully - remembering that you'll probably need to disconnect the lid mounted fan jumper cable) then unscrew the handles from the inside and store them somewhere.

I don't know of any replacement shallower handles, but if it's going to remain racked then there's probably no need to replace the handles with anything - maybe some push in rubber dust cap things to seal the screw holes if you can locate any.

Sorry no answer regarding the handles but I had bought the same rack awhile back. I ended up returning it because of that and it seemed to me the rack could easily break too. I bought this one instead which I liked a LOT better - http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...=b&network=g&gclid=CMjAuY3DncwCFQiQaQod490MJA

Something you may want to consider.

This seems like a good replacement actually. Is this true 4U or is the lowest 1U sacrificed by the handle/wheel section? I'm guessing you can fit a Mac Book Pro on top and an Axe II plus another U?

This seems like a good replacement actually. Is this true 4U or is the lowest 1U sacrificed by the handle/wheel section? I'm guessing you can fit a Mac Book Pro on top and an Axe II plus another U?

Yes its true 4u. I purchased mine used for 150 and actually sold it recently for 175. Its new price is kind of high but it's definitely a better case man. The latches on it are much better than the regular gator cases too.

Yes its true 4u. I purchased mine used for 150 and actually sold it recently for 175. Its new price is kind of high but it's definitely a better case man. The latches on it are much better than the regular gator cases too.

Sounds good. So can a 15" Mac Book fit in the top section? I heard that a 17" doesn't fit for example

Actually I think the 17" does just without usb or something plugged in, but yea 15" is fine. SW shows it 17" width. I had a 15" macbook in it.

If you have handle clearance issues you're probably going to have value knob clearance issues as well. Maybe it's just not the right case for you. You might consider taking that one back, bringing the axe to the store and fit-testing a few things before committing

I have been avoiding SKB stuff, due to multiple failures of new products from them. Things like handles, latches and hinges, on ata rated cases. Often in the first few days to month.

I have the same case and had the same issue.

My solution:

Heat the inside of the removable front face panel over the stove element carefully for a 15-20 seconds at a time. Then take a blunt object and work the soft plastic until you have two contours that allow for the Axe FX to sit with the panel on. Use your own descresion as I did this year's ago.

The process doesn't sound amazing but it worked without any issues and I figured I'd rather risk the case than the Axe itself!

Besides, nobody ever sees that anyway ;)

I needed to remove the handles on mine for another reason. Cliff is right, it is structural. The front panel is secured against the frame. The screws inside pull the handle and panel to the frame. I just reversed them. The handles are now on the inside so I don't loose them. I bought these:

https://www.stringswing.com/product/cc14-folding-rack-mount-guitar-hanger

The handles were in the way. I play on some really tight stages and the tripod guitar stands take up real estate. I thought these to be a clever solution. One on each side of the rack. They fold in across the front of the rack when I button it up. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom