Removing rack ears

Gilly

This may be just me overthinking, but is it ok to remove the rack ears on the AxeFx? I was a bit hesitant as it looked like it may be connected to something else on the inside. Any info would be appreciated!

(Note that handles are curved pieces attaching to front panel. Rack ears are separate pieces and fine to just remove.)

Reactions: yek
If you mean the rack ears on the sides, they serve no structural purpose other than allowing you to rack the unit.

If you're talking about the handles sticking out from the front panel, I would open up the top of the Axe FX case and see how/if they provide any structural integrity. According to yek's quote from Cliff, it sounds like they do, so be cautious.

Do you really need to do this? Are they in the way of something? I'm a big fan of not messing with things just for the sake of messing with them, thereby inevitably allowing for Murphy to inject himself and his laws into the equation.

Go for it.

Not sure why I remember these things, but the back story was that Larry Mitchell used a hacksaw to saw off the rack ears on his Ultra, so it would fit easier into his carry on bag for fly gigs. Because of Larry, Cliff designed removable ears for the II hardware.

Go for it.

Not sure why I remember these things, but the back story was that Larry Mitchell used a hacksaw to saw off the rack ears on his Ultra, so it would fit easier into his carry on bag for fly gigs. Because of Larry, Cliff designed removable ears for the II hardware.

and ultimately designed the AX-8 methinks.

Thanks for all the help on this, was worth me asking!

I have some fly gigs coming up and I found a carry-on case that will fit the unit at like a 30 degree angle. Without the Rack ears it will make the fit much easier. Interesting to hear that the handles can be removed as well, I may avoid this as they provide good front protection.

Yes an AX8 would be the answer but I cant justify it. (yet :))

Back
Top Bottom