Remove X/Y on amps and cabs?

Hello everyone,

I am not sure of technical issues regarding this but now that we have Scenes (wow, incredibly powerful, thanks Fractal), would it be a good idea to remove the X/Y option on amps and cabs, so that we could build patches with up to 4 amps and 4 cabs which could be selected in different scenes without any dropout.

Not sure if this even possible, but just putting it out there.

If you remove X and Y, where are the amps going to be stored (same for cabs)? We still need amps "slots". With a unique and default slot, all scenes would share the same amp.

Anyway I agree, the AxeFX could probably provide 2 more slots (say, Z and A) without going too short on memory..

Each preset can have up to two amps and two cabs. X/Y gives you the ability to use up to four of them, but still only two at a time. X/Y is even more powerful with scenes, but eliminating it would simply reduce your choices.

Danny W.

I think four unique amp blocks would require a lot more processing power than two amp blocks with X/Y options. If the Axe FX II could handle four amp blocks I think it would have four amp blocks rather than two with X/Y. Just my 2c, I think four amp blocks would be awesome if it was possible as X/Y still has the tiniest amount of dropout. Sadly I think it wouldn't be.

Cheers.

the x/y adds a lot more flexibility to the scenes setup.
even if i were to use up the 8 scenes for different combinations of amps and effects, i still have one more switch to flip between an amp or effect type within the scene.

My 2 cents only, but wouldn't it be possible to have Amp 3 and 4 and Cab 3 and 4 blocks with all the Amp and Cab blocks switching to a half-resolution mode when they are all in the layout?

I started building my presets this way 3 weeks ago. I had to drop my cabinet res to low res, but that is only because I wanted 2 overdrive blocks, 2 delay blocks and 2 reverb blocks in my presets.

Wah--compressor-(side chain delay1)-drive1-drive2-gate-amp1-cab1 (side chain amp2-cab2)-FXloop-chorus1-(side chain-delay2)-reverb1-reverb2

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...tip-amp-switching-no-drop-out-whatsoever.html

Good luck.

PS - yes, you probably do not need to link the amps bypass to a modifier, because you can turn one off and the other on, inside a scene, and let the scene selection handle that aspect....

My 2 cents only, but wouldn't it be possible to have Amp 3 and 4 and Cab 3 and 4 blocks with all the Amp and Cab blocks switching to a half-resolution mode when they are all in the layout?

This is where my original thinking was.

This is where processing power would be the key to whether it would be possible or not. Of course, it comes done to if you can do it this way, why would it not be possible to have the X/Y switching to be seamless. The reason Fractal have given for drop-outs between patches is that the next patch is an unknown and nothing can be pre-loaded, this is not the case with X/Y so why is there still a dropout?

This is not a vent. I love my Axe FX II, I am just curious.

I'd like to know that as well. Dropout is the only thing I dislike about scenes. It does everything I need need perfectly, but the main reason I started using them instead of patches is, among other reasons, gapless switching. Since it isn't always gapless, it makes it harder for me to call it perfect.

Do you mean 1/4-resolution mode? They revert to 1/2-resolution as soon as you add the second block. I suspect that four amp blocks (and probably three) would overwhelm the CPU given current utilization.

I'd like to know that as well. Dropout is the only thing I dislike about scenes. It does everything I need need perfectly, but the main reason I started using them instead of patches is, among other reasons, gapless switching. Since it isn't always gapless, it makes it harder for me to call it perfect.

Are you switching between Amp 1 and Amp 2 when you switch scenes, or are you going from Amp 1 X to Amp 1 Y?

Are you switching between Amp 1 and Amp 2 when you switch scenes, or are you going from Amp 1 X to Amp 1 Y?

Well I kind of switch around. I'll explain one of my songs.

Starts on Amp 1 X, Cab 1 X > Amp 2 Y, Cab 2 Y > Amp 2 X, Cab 2 X > Amp 1 X, Cab 1 X > Amp 2 Y, Cab 2 Y > Amp 1 X, Cab 1 X

If theres anything I could do to get the gaps down it would be nice, but it would be even nicer if there were just no gaps no matter what order I do anything. To get gapless switching if I have to cut down to just using an Amp 1 and 2 then I probably will, but I prefer Fas Modern for my rhythm tone, USA Lead 2 for leads, and the Badger 30 for my lower gain fusion-y tone and cleans so it'd be nice if I could pick any of them at my choosing with out a gap.

Back
Top Bottom