Remove Legacy Version Option from Firmware - Mark l/Mark ll

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1 here as well..

But I want to say that I'm very appreciative of all the effort on Cliff's part to keep the Mk I/II's going all this time. As a former business owner myself, I can empathize with how hard it is to walk these lines between your customers/clients and your progress as a business.

I'm assuming it's not this simple?

Version X = Last update but has backwards compatibility options.
Version Y = Removes backwards compatibility to free space.

+1
I even don't need the option to use older modeling versions.
I think, it has been the wrong decision, to implement this function!
Why?

At the end of the day, we all want to use a well improved guitar modeler.
So it has to be latest ...

With the switch-back option, all the time someone has only a limited number of versions to choose.
Or FAS has to blow up the memory consumption to let us choose a lot more versions ...
What a silly imagination ...

What comes next?
To choose
- firmware version Q6.xx
AND
- modeling version Q 5.03
AND
- drive block version Q 2.01
AND
- reverb version Q1.0

Line 6 doesn't give you the option to switch back within a firmware version!
Kemper doesn't give you the option to switch back within a firmware version!

It's not the problem, that sometimes the firmware-support will come to an end ...
That's the way, all gear will go ...
It's the problem, to waste memory capacity with unnecessary options!

Nevertheless, Q 5.03.01 is great stuff, the AxeFx II is great stuff and the effort of FAS IS GREAT!
So thanx to FAS for all the good stuff!

I tend to stay out of these types of discussions, and rarely post.

From my viewpoint, I see no reason to NOT remove the legacy modelling options from the firmware.

By leaving in the legacy option it forces EVERYONE to stay on Quantum 5.03. Why would that be more beneficial, or beneficial in any way for that matter? Keeping the option gives everyone NO choice, and forces everyone to miss out on the new firmware improvements. Taking the option out at least gives EVERYONE the choice to continue down the firmware road.

I really don't even see how there's any discussion to be had. Having a second option is better than not having a second option.

Keep the legacy versions ......

.... and give us free upgrades to XL+s if we send in our MK1/2s.

You'd have lots of spare Tiger Sharc processors to salvage then too

I'm amazed FAS didn't work this highly logical solution out for themselves

;)

(PS ..... I wouldn't miss the legacy stuff at all .... if a FW was released that didn't rock my boat I'd just roll back to what I was using previously again)

Onwards and Upwards guys - the latest modelling is the thing to have if it's more accurate and like the real thing - no question!!
I'd honestly be happy with 10 realistic Amps and Cabs that sound as close to their namesakes as possible plus all the wonderful effects that are available in this magic box. When I bought my Mark 11 a couple of years ago there was a big push to sell the new XL then XL+ but I thought "do I really need 768 presets and 512 user cabs in essentially the same piece of gear with a bit more memory and a better display for £500/$600 more" and I thought "no, just keep it simple". I didn't realise then that the Boot Rom is apparently a smaller capacity on the Mk11 compared to XL types which lands us in this predicament now - all the advertising suggested the wonders of expansion to mind-numbing amounts of presets which I'd never use, on a machine with the same Processors plus a couple of extra sockets and features. So as lots of folks have said already if you want to use older Firmware just save a copy of the one you need and install that - I don't think many peoples actually switch backwards really, almost everybody wants the latest and greatest! It would be a shame if Fractal goes the way of Apple with planned obsolescence of their gear at ever increasing rates so maybe there's a Mk111 not too far away - but I am a cynic!
So the bottom line here is definitely to thin out the some stuff (maybe we could vote on what to clear out) and keep the ever-more-accurate modelling going for as long as possible.
Over to Fractal on that then!

For me...

As a composer, backwards compatibility is the most useful feature ever implemented into the axe fx. It facilitates my creative workflow, and this is more important to me than having the latest greatest modeling version.

I would rather have this feature still be available (especially for the future benefit of xl+ owners) than have access to the latest firmware. I'm sill on a axe 2 mark 1, but I would still prefer to keep this feature than have the latest firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom