Remote rehearsal/livestream options

jclemensfl

Inspired
Hey all,

Considering live gigs are a no go for many of us for a while, wanted to see what everyone’s suggestions are for remote rehearsal ideas.

What software are you using and how is the latency? Can you rehearse from 3 or 4 different locations? What hardware is required?

If you wanted to, could you stream the rehearsal to fans and charge a small fee for it?

Best of luck to everyone out there!

Jeff

Following... I seem to recall reading about a service that solved this a while back but don't remember what it was called.

Delay/latency from video streaming is inevitable. Phone calls already have a 1 second delay and that’s just audio.

I’ve used a service now called Whereby which is a free Skype style alternative. Almost any service like this is going to have 2 to 10 and sometimes 30 seconds of delay as servers need to process audio.

Just saw this...
Maybe worth a look.

Recommendation with Jamkazam - use their metronome.
If not, the latency causes everyone to slow down to let other players 'catch up', and all of a sudden you're playing at half tempo.
If everyone plays to the built in click, then it will just feel like they're behind the beat (but we're all at the same tempo)

Recommendation with Jamkazam - use their metronome.
If not, the latency causes everyone to slow down to let other players 'catch up', and all of a sudden you're playing at half tempo.
If everyone plays to the built in click, then it will just feel like they're behind the beat (but we're all at the same tempo)
I wonder if I could run my own click/backing track on a separate Jamkazam channel/computer, and then everyone logging in would experience about the same latency in relation to that channel and be somewhat together? Maybe I’m being too hopeful.
Think I’ll give it a whirl later this week and see where it takes me.

I believe there is a built in metronome in Jamkazam (so that will act as your master clock).

I believe there is a built in metronome in Jamkazam (so that will act as your master clock).
Understood. Sorry for the confusion, my band plays with tracks, clicks and accompanying video.
Besides the latency, how have your experiences with the platform been?

Understood. Sorry for the confusion, my band plays with tracks, clicks and accompanying video.
Besides the latency, how have your experiences with the platform been?

It's been 'ok'.
I'm guessing it depends on the amount of traffic (which will obviously spike), but sometimes the latency is 'ok', sometimes it's too much and not usable. Best thing you can do is download the app, connect your interface, and go through the set up process because it tells you how much latency you have (and they rate it green/yellow/red). So you at least know going in, if your experience will be good/bad.

I totally missed that this was about remote rehearsal, not remote streaming your rehearsal. Doh. I should read more carefully!

Ninjam is an open source thing that's been around for maybe a decade or more now: https://www.cockos.com/ninjam/

It's not real time. It's meant to work with latency. I never got the hand of using it with other people TBH.

The NINJAM client records and streams synchronized intervals of music between participants. Just as the interval finishes recording, it begins playing on everyone else's client. So when you play through an interval, you're playing along with the previous interval of everybody else, and they're playing along with your previous interval. If this sounds pretty bizarre, it sort of is, until you get used to it, then it becomes pretty natural. In many ways, it can be more forgiving than a normal jam, because mistakes propagate differently.

i don't think it's possible to really do it right, or get any benefit out of it- certainly no one would want to watch several people all over the place in time.

If you wanna practice- talk- communicate- send clips/demos/recordings/songs

i don't think it's possible to really do it right, or get any benefit out of it- certainly no one would want to watch several people all over the place in time.

If you wanna practice- talk- communicate- send clips/demos/recordings/songs
You may be surprised what people would watch. Especially with all the bars closed.
But you may be right that it might not be possible to do well. We’ll see.

I'm interested to see if some of the bigger bands start doing livestream concerts from their studios or something along those lines.

I was just starting to explore this for live band rehearsal with about 4 separate local sources trying to play at once. Haven't quite got it set up yet. We play progressive metal with a whole lot of tempo and time signature changes so following a CLICK of any kind is not really possible.

JamKazam CLAIMS they can do this with minimum latency, and say nothing about using THEIR metronome as a click reference on there site or promo video that I can see at least. I guess I'll just have to try this out and see what happens.

The band I am in is at a standstill due to the corona-virus thing. :eek: Not only are dates cancelled but most of the band members are not willing to get together right now and our practice space is suddenly off limits too, so live practices together are dead in the water. I am looking for online collaboration options, either just laying down / sharing tracks online or live online practice. I would thing due to latency online real-time practice would be very sketchy. I'll have to investigate services like JamKazam and others. Any review or recommendations would be much appreciated!

The band I am in is at a standstill due to the corona-virus thing. :eek: Not only are dates cancelled but most of the band members are not willing to get together right now and our practice space is suddenly off limits too, so live practices together are dead in the water. I am looking for online collaboration options, either just laying down / sharing tracks online or live online practice. I would thing due to latency online real-time practice would be very sketchy. I'll have to investigate services like JamKazam and others. Any review or recommendations would be much appreciated!
For non-real-time collaboration I’ve just bounced stems to a Dropbox folder. For all instances where I’ve done this we’ve pre-agreed on a bounce format, bit rate and depth. And when we bounce we always start at 0 so importing is as easy as dragging and dropping into a new track and aligning it to the start of the grid.

For more complicated collaborations we’ve also maintained a spreadsheet with stem notes on each track in the sheet and we number the stems so if someone refers to track 5 in their project we all have the same stem on track 5 in our local projects.

Has mostly worked over the decade plus for slow collaborative work for me.

JamKazam works very well considering.
As long as everyone has a direct ethernet cable connection, the quality and lag isn't bad at all.
Skip using video, since it eats up bandwidth, and adds to latency.
I used it all day yesterday, and was able to play with up to 9 other players at once.

Back
Top Bottom