Remote control for Axe-Fx 3 except FC-12 and FC-6

I use the RjM GT16 with my Axe III as the FC wasn’t flexible enough, but only because I needed to do a lot more MIDI things (controlling other devices as well as the Axe). If I just wanted to control the Axe III, I would have looked more seriously at the FC-12.

I use a Liquidfoot LF+ 12+.

Axe FX III has very solid MIDI support capabilities, but some of it requires the use of SysEx commands and bi-directional communications. Only a few of the MIDI controllers on the market can do this. Before buying, make sure that you know what you want to do, and validate that the controller you are looking at can do it.

To the best of my knowledge, only RJM, Voes, and Liquidfoot can support both bi-directional MIDI and the Axe FX III SysEx commands.

I use a Liquidfoot LF+ 12+.

Axe FX III has very solid MIDI support capabilities, but some of it requires the use of SysEx commands and bi-directional communications. Only a few of the MIDI controllers on the market can do this. Before buying, make sure that you know what you want to do, and validate that the controller you are looking at can do it.

To the best of my knowledge, only RJM, Voes, and Liquidfoot can support both bi-directional MIDI and the Axe FX III SysEx commands.

I know MC runs sysex, not sure if FAS has a unique one though?

I plan to get a morningstar engineering MC8.
This works awesome. I've used it with both the FM3 and the FX III.
Had a Voes MX-18 for a while with both.

Also used an HD500x, Helix, Randall RC-8 and HX Effects before the FC's came out, with success.

I know MC runs sysex, not sure if FAS has a unique one though?
MC does not appear to support the FAS SysEx commands for Block channel and bypass commands natively - you can do it, but you have to program each individual command yourself in hex.

MC also does not support bi-directional communications, so it can't run the Axe FX III tuner or get Scene/Preset names in real time.

Voes, RJM, and FAMC have all of the SysEx commands and bi-directional support built into their firmware, so you just tell them to sync to a Axe-FX III and everything loads itself. For example, I have 8 IAs that are called "SCENE1", through "SCENE 8". When I tie them to a button, they automatically load the Scene Name for the active Preset from the Axe-FX and put it on the display for that button. MC can't do that (yet), but all three that I listed above have this as a basic function. Better still, all three can do this with one 7-pin MIDI cable that carries MIDI In, MIDI Out and power.

They're more expensive, but they all three have some real advantages.

Last edited:
Hey there,

I wrote a review in a topic about the BJ-device TB-11P in this forum section:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/the-mfc-101-is-back-for-the-axefxiii-well-sort-of.165971/
The topic about the tb-11p is for sharing my experience with this Midi device. It depends on your use for it, but for use with the AxeFx-III and with bi-directional communication this whas a great solution for me.

I'l explain why i say whas, because i joined a DIY and had some succes creating a custom peddleboard, maby there is your interest to create your own midi device for the Axe-Fx?.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/multi-screen-diy-controller.166504/

If your interested, the TB-11P is for sale ( will put it on the for sale list some day here on the forum)

Hope this helps

Cheers

Check out my MX-line. Midi controller in different sizes, all using the same editor.
MX-12 2x6, MX-12 3x4, MX-18.

mx18-07.jpg
3 Pages. one preset page and two totally programmable pages.
Each page has normal press and long press per button.
Each press (normal/long) has up to 6 commands.
More than 50 different commands with special Axe-Fx III/FM3 commands.
Syncs with the Axe-Fx III/FM3. Syncs preset name, scene name, active scene, block on/off status, block selected channel, tempo, tuner, looper, ....

Easy to use editor with hundreds of templates you can use as a start point.

With one cable (7-pin Midi or Ethercon/Internet cable) you can connect between stage and rack.

More info on www.voes.be

@FullThrottle64 I checked the morningstar site - the MC8 will run the tuner, just not while axe edit is on.
That's interesting, because about a month ago their tech support told me that they don't support any bi-directional comms (yet). If they did, I would probably have bought one.

The way the LF and Voes boards support the tuner is not just turning it on and off. It puts the tuner display onto the board, and can flash the entire board green when you're in tune. RJM also have bi-directional comms, so I would assume that they have something similar.

Last edited:
That's interesting, because about a month ago their tech support told me that they don't support any bi-directional comms (yet). If they did, I would probably have bought one.

The way the LF and Voes boards support the tuner is not just turning it on and off. It puts the tuner display onto the board, and can flash the entire board green when you're in tune. RJM also have bi-directional comms, so I would assume that they have something similar.

Then it probably means it shows on the axe display, Im guessing. And Im kind of surprised sysex, pc and cc wouldnt operate channel changes too.

I have 2 options locally for when I ever gig again, so im not worried about looking at the iii display for tuning.

Then it probably means it shows on the axe display, Im guessing. And Im kind of surprised sysex, pc and cc wouldnt operate channel changes too.

I have 2 options locally for when I ever gig again, so im not worried about looking at the iii display for tuning.
I think that it's possible to do channel changes with SysEx, but you have to manually program them in hex with most controllers. The three I listed have those commands pre-built and can sync the status and naming in real time.

It's really around what you want the controller to do. For my use, I needed a specific set of programming features that only exists in RJM and LF. If you just want to select Presets and Scenes and don't care about sync'd names and deeper control of the Blocks, then anything that sends out PC and CC will work fine.

I think that it's possible to do channel changes with SysEx, but you have to manually program them in hex with most controllers. The three I listed have those commands pre-built and can sync the status and naming in real time.

It's really around what you want the controller to do. For my use, I needed a specific set of programming features that only exists in RJM and LF. If you just want to select Presets and Scenes and don't care about sync'd names and deeper control of the Blocks, then anything that sends out PC and CC will work fine.

A check of the manual says it does sysex in a different format than hex.

A check of the manual says it does sysex in a different format than hex.

The Axe FX III MIDI Spec lists all of the SysEx commands in hex. Personally, I wouldn't want to have to convert it to another base, but that's up to the user.

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/misc/Axe-Fx III MIDI for 3rd Party Devices.pdf
Maybe I missed it... But why are you wanting sysex for scene and channel changes? All of the mentioned devices can do it with CCs...

Maybe I missed it... But why are you wanting sysex for scene and channel changes? All of the mentioned devices can do it with CCs...
From the MIDI spec linked above:

"Third-party devices can control the Axe-Fx III using standard MIDI commands, i.e. PC, CC, etc. However, the status of effect bypass states, channels, scenes, etc. is not supported by standard MIDI commands. This document outlines the System Exclusive (sysex) commands to query this data from the Axe-Fx III."

Back
Top Bottom