Reminder--PLAY LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, this might seem obvious or ridiculous to even mention, but coming from a bedroom player with a family, I was reminded a month or so ago, that everything just opens up like the gods in heaven when you just add some volume;

I am so used to trying to get some edge and clarity, and often treble (without buzz, fuzz) in my sounds at low volumes, even with good equator desktops or my usual EV Powered speakers. I have countless IR's etc. but simply turning up the volume makes better use of all the built in sounds, parameters etc. I find I have to hunt less for non stock IR's and can do most within the amp block to get anyting I need.

So, when you just cant find the sound (yes Beth reference arrrrg), add some VOLUME AND START SHREDDING. (ps gives cab in room feel, chug on high gain etc etc) I add small edilon? ear plugs.
Yes, loud is the only way I can play, as I have this burning need to move air and it makes me feel alive! Not all that concerned with hearing loss; just trying to time it right...

From an old deaf guy......be careful with your hearing.

I'm 58 and now wear $5,000 worth of hearing aids in each ear. Ted Nugent did it!. In my early years I went to a concert at a new local venue every 2 or 3 weeks. It was great. Saw almost everybody back in the mid and late 70's. But it was Nugent who wrecked my hearing. I was standing at the stage right in front of him. His stage volume was unbelievable back then. Rainbow as another....but Nugent was unreal. My ears rang for 2 weeks and I was never able to hear as well after that. I'm sure many more concerts and me and my brother jamming with 2 100 watt Marshalls through 4x12's in our parents back room for hours didn't help.

But let me tell you...it sucks to be this way. I can't hear high at all. (now it's not that bad as a female voice falls into that range...if yo know what I mean...LOL).....but back in the day it probably hurt my single life. I'm sure there had to have been several women come up to me and ask if I wanted to go home with them and I shook my head "no thanks" because I thought they were asking me to dance (well...wishful thinking anyway). But I haven't heard a cymbal on a recording or live in 40 years. Never hear a whistle on a football game. I could never be an engineer or producer....or serious musician for that matter........because I can't hear a lot of things.

Don't screw your hearing up....it will not heal itself. and even top dollar hearing aids only helps maybe 50%. Just be careful.

I`m a bit old school by default. But I see bands these days that have everything going direct.....and I don`t care at all for that sound. It`s sterile no matter how good the modelling is. For me, gotta have some ambient live sound/air movement from the stage. Without it some of the spontaneity and excitement of a live show seems lost. At least in clubs anyways. And doesn`t need to be earsplitting either.

SO WHAT level wont hurt ears?

Here is a good guideline: https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/noisehearingconservation/

I was a recording and mastering engineer for years. My rule of thumb that helped preserve my hearing is you will not toast your ears if you can comfortably talk over the sound with another person and comfortably hear each other's voice. I spike the levels higher than that and use the OSHA guidelines in terms of limiting exposure for the potential damage.

Yes, and for longer periods just a reasonably loud volume, that would arguably not damage hearing (if one takes breaks) but allows the sound from the speaker to reach the pickup somewhat; for me this feeding into the pickup always adds to the enjoyment (and is noticeably absent when only playing into and monitoring through headphones).

But if the great Paul Gilbert never gets an Axe Fx, it will not be because the Axe Fx doesn't sound better loud. It will be because its more realer high frequencies are harder to hear after hearing loss.

http://www.hear-it.org/Paul-Gilbert-How-to-avoid-hearing-loss

For me, hearing loss is no joking matter since I am more and more wanting to develop producing and mixing skills. .That is why I always must strike a balance. Normally I do play fairly loud; and especially if I am getting ready to capture a recording of something on driven electric guitar at that moment.

But alternatively, at lower volumes a nice delay adds back a lot of the enjoyment.

Last edited:
It is the contrary for me.

One of the main reasons I love the Axe-FX is because it allows me to play amazing tones at low volume.

When you listen to a great tone on a recording, do you really need to raise the volume to make it sound better?

Bleeding-ear.jpeg

When you listen to a great tone on a recording, do you really need to raise the volume to make it sound better?
My point in my earlier post. That's why I admire engineers who can make things sound great at all volumes. I've not quite mastered that skill yet :(

I totally agree that there is an admirable talent to making things sound good at all volumes. But also, basically I do find a difference with the Axe FX played through headphones (no output into the air of the room and hence no guitar pickup recycle of the tones) and the axe played into the room with via monitors. I would wonder what Kemper (and even Helix) would do with this input since the processes used are evidently so different. (I tend to presume the Axe FX signal processing method is more detailed and precise and so it may be noticeably more lively - I haven't had either of the other units so this is just a curiosity - and what dog doesn't want to believe his leg is up higher - but just yesterday I had a Euro Red Modern preset, and was just sitting there lifting my hand off the strings and getting a great super realistic feedback...). For me the Axe seems to be able to take this signal at fairly low volumes and very delicately respond to it as if the whole chain was real and not virtual. I used to have a Boogie simulclass power amp and the "feel" of even just the power amp, played into via MP1, was very noticeable and I loved the slight little squish I got combined with the feedback. Of course in an apartment and with traffic noises and etc., to record I needed to isolate the cab from the main room of the apartment, which basically had windows and a poorly insulated door along the entirety of the front wall. Not only would the neighbors complain, but the incoming sound would get onto the [awful :) ] recordings. So I used to have a Marshall Power Brake and to mic my 2/12 and the lower I turned it the less than beautiful feedback into the pickups must have been occurring; and then to record I finally used a somewhat soundproofed walk in closet ( the clothes probably overly muffling the reverberation, but ah well..)

For me the Axe FX II outshines the basic "cab in the same room" livelier sound; because in addition its not only giving me endless variety, but reacting equally strongly and realistically to the new input into the pickups. As for the closet recordings, in retrospect of course they completely lacked that little feedback parameter that was diminishing as I had turned the Power Brake down in the first place.

When I first got the Axe FX Ultra and listened to it with headphones, it was disappointing. I first had to go through an evolution of learning about headphones. I found that the Dennon headphones AH-D1100 gave me a more realistic "soundstage experience". But until I got some decent monitors I didn't realize I was missing that monitor-to-pickup feedback. It's all been quite a journey.

Yes, depending on the preset it can get twice as nice at fairly loud volumes, so as the OP said I do recommend using this for a lot of the composing/recording process. Its nice to know the Axe FX experience isn't diminished all that much when the volumes go down a little. I don't think a very, very quiet level would work for me for being the most inspiring. I have no problem using it during a lot of practice.

But this feedback mechanism seems to still work pretty nicely at reasonably low volumes, like maybe the volume of a typical male speaking voice at a couple of feet away. I'm not sure how Cliff got it that sensitive, (maybe as sensitive as the real thing).

Last edited:
When I first got the Axe FX Ultra and listened to it with headphones, it was disappointing. I first had to go through an evolution of learning about headphones. I found that the Dennon headphones AH-D1100 gave me a more realistic "soundstage experience". But until I got some decent monitors I didn't realize I was missing that monitor-to-pickup feedback. It's all been quite a journey.

I have a trick for getting wild monitor-to-pickup feedback when recording sitting at by bedroom: I put one of those small Bluetooth Speakers between by belly and the guitar, connected to the Axe-FX audio out, record using Axe-FX USB output to DAW, and monitor through headphones. The result is amazing! I Can get an endless ‘”Flying in a Blue Dream” feedback without disturbing the neighbors at all.

Not to be a pessimist, but I try to keep my db's level's between 80 and 90 whats a musician without hearing, we all can't be Beethoven.
That's not pessimism. The OP was talking about bedroom-level playing. There's a big gap between don't-disturb-the-family bedroom level and ear-damaging volume. A lot of sonic magic happens in that gap.

Yes and no. On a full recording, Fletcher-Munson affects every instrument equally, so the balance between instruments isn't affected by volume. But if you listen to that great recording at 85 dB, you'll hear more detail than you'll hear at 70 dB.

Yes and no. On a full recording, Fletcher-Munson affects every instrument equally, so the balance between instruments isn't affected by volume. But if you listen to that great recording at 85 dB, you'll hear more detail than you'll hear at 70 dB.
I'm with him

Hmmmm (that's also the noise of my left ear tinnitus!)

Too many loud club rock gigs under my belt .... not that I thought they were that loud on stage at the time to tell the truth - but 10 or 15 mins into the gigs the dreaded "I'll just put my master vol up a tiny little bit because that bloke who's sitting in the far side of the room from me has complained he can't hear the guitar" starts .... or the vocalists decide to combat the backline with twice the volume in their foldback wedges. ......
I think the only gig I've been a punter at that didn't leave my ears ringing or dull was Sting when he performed at Belfast's best auditorium - the FOH volume was about the same as normal conversation .... and clear as a bell.

The loudest was many years back when I somehow got stuck in front of the beam of a local guitar hero who was trying out a horrible sounding Peavey 200 watt rig and trying to bend the non existent output tubes to emulate his normal Marshall 50s or Musicman heads ...... he had it dimed out of frustration and bad temper and completely killed the sound of everything with what sounded like a full blooded woman's scream 1 inch from both ears. He damaged the hearing of 200 people that night I'm sure.

he had it dimed out of frustration and bad temper and completely killed the sound of everything with what sounded like a full blooded woman's scream 1 inch from both ears. He damaged the hearing of 200 people that night I'm sure.

OWWWW!

My brother told me that he got stuck by the speaker stack at a Humble Pie concert in around 1971 and that it may have permanently damaged his hearing. That's why at every show I always keep a napkin handy in case it gets too loud, and wad little balls of it up and keep them in my ears (at my own risk - using long strips so I can easily remove them, LOL). I remove them every so often and get the full enjoyment of the sound. The rest of the audience has dulled their perception but I can take them out at the key points in the music and hear with full clarity. For example when I watch the Rush cover band, "Caress Of Steel" (no affiliation - just my example of music being "feeling") I'll take it out at the guitar solo of La Villa Strangiato or Natural Science to see how closely lead player will nail it, which is usually fairly good. A musician that can stand up to loud volumes doing the small to medium club circuit (with their sh-tty acoustics and Way Too LOUD ambience) and still play with some feeling gets my full admiration. Personally, although I don't currently play live, if I did, I wonder about using ear protection and still being sufficiently in the groove; my nerves are too jumpy right now to be relaxed and aesthetically behind the beat within the context of a setting like this:
solo at beginning; 9:55

solo at 4:00 minutes

solo at 3:46 and 6:04 minutes

Music is all about the feel. Protect it.

Back
Top Bottom