Reminder for Europeans when using "Noise Reduction" in Input block

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
... Don't forget to set AC Line Frequency in Setup:Global to 50 Hz.

I changed some things in my rig and routing, and also executed a system reset. Suddenly, there was a loud hum with higher gain sounds. It wasn't immediately clear what the cause was. I then remembered the system reset, adjusted this parameter and it was solved.

This applies only if you live in a country where the line frequency is 50Hz (Europe, Australia, parts of Asia) and have set the gate in the Input block to Noise Reduction or Intelligent.

It's mentioned in the Blocks Guide but it's worth repeating.

Last edited:
I noticed that, although the frequency is set to 50 Hz in my Global Settings, AxeEdit always sets this the AC frequency of an amp to 60Hz when adding a new amp or changing the amp type.

I noticed that, although the frequency is set to 50 Hz in my Global Settings, AxeEdit always sets this the AC frequency of an amp to 60Hz when adding a new amp or changing the amp type.
That's new, for me, I stay corrected.

Last edited:

Yes, AC LINE FREQUENCY in the Global menu is not related to AC LINE FREQUENCY in the Amp block. It's not a bug, IMHO.

Regarding the Amp block parameter: I have compared both values and I'm not hearing substantial difference so I leave it at default.

When I received an FM3 here in Europe, global setting was already set to 50hz. I wonder if g66 does this for all units sold in EU. But sure, even if so, makes sense to keep this in mind after system resets.

Thanks Yek, my III was on 60Hz so changed it to 50Hz and the FM3 was already on 50Hz - probably thanks to G66 and their excellent service

Yes, AC LINE FREQUENCY in the Global menu is not related to AC LINE FREQUENCY in the Amp block. It's not a bug, IMHO.

Regarding the Amp block parameter: I have compared both values and I'm not hearing substantial difference so I leave it at default.
Oh, he's talking about different parameters, never paid attention to the one on the amp block... only in Global Settings.

You really need a current phase inverter in Australia to get the optimized sound out of it ☝️
May Leon Todd has good advice for it 🤔
🤪
BTW mine was set to 50Hz as delivered.
G66 has set it i think.

Interesting though about the AC line freq. parameter in the amp block. I’d never really payed any attention to that parameter before. Is there a reason it’s set at 60hz by default?
I’m curious, though there’s no ‘obvious‘ difference sound-wise, should we in 50hz countries be setting it to 50hz as a matter of course? In these scenarios OCD really kicks in. Yek says leave it @ default 60hz so....

As explained earlier in the thread, the global setting is relevant to noise reduction settings in the Input block, not the Amp block.

Yes zero sound difference when you change the AC in the amp block .... sometimes I ask myself why they are stuff like this

Interesting though about the AC line freq. parameter in the amp block. I’d never really payed any attention to that parameter before. Is there a reason it’s set at 60hz by default?
I’m curious, though there’s no ‘obvious‘ difference sound-wise, should we in 50hz countries be setting it to 50hz as a matter of course? In these scenarios OCD really kicks in. Yek says leave it @ default 60hz so....
I recall seeing a preset-build tutorial where the ACLF in the AMP BLOCK was set to 50Hz when trying to emulate something like 60's-era Marshall/Vox or Gilmour/Hendrix tones.

Any amp in Europe/Australia would be running on 50, so for authenticity's sake the poster felt the need to make the adjustment.

The video got into the weeds of it a bit, and I believe he had said the real difference was something you could feel easier than hear.

The takeaway was that some will notice a change in response, especially under higher MV (poweramp) settings IIRC.

No parameter in the AF3 is there for show. There are myriad variables where a certain change may be unnoticeable under X condition, but becomes obvious under Y condition/settings.

The interactivity of controls in FAS FW is a model of the same interactivity of controls in analog amps.

Line frequency is a great example of one of them.

I recall seeing a preset-build tutorial where the ACLF in the AMP BLOCK was set to 50Hz when trying to emulate something like 60's-era Marshall/Vox or Gilmour/Hendrix tones.

Any amp in Europe/Australia would be running on 50, so for authenticity's sake the poster felt the need to make the adjustment.

The video got into the weeds of it a bit, and I believe he had said the real difference was something you could feel easier than hear.

The takeaway was that some will notice a change in response, especially under higher MV (poweramp) settings IIRC.

No parameter in the AF3 is there for show. There are myriad variables where a certain change may be unnoticeable under X condition, but becomes obvious under Y condition/settings.

The interactivity of controls in FAS FW is a model of the same interactivity of controls in analog amps.

Line frequency is a great example of one of them.
Thanks for the info 👍

Back
Top Bottom