Reliability of CLR?

Haven't had any problems, I picked up a third as a spare which I've never used.

I bought one from the first batch that came to Europe. It once went silent, but it came back alive when Tom Kig called me. No idea what happened. It's been year and a half since that incident, no problems after that. I don't gig heavily, but one or two band practises every week and ~10 gigs a year.

No trouble whatsoever with either of two Atomic CLR Active Wedge systems since the first unit arrived JUN 2013.

I had one fail. Sent it back and they fixed it. Never did got a response to multiple questions about what the problem was, but they fixed it quickly.

I have two CLR Neo powered wedges and have never had a problem with either of them. btw, one of them was purchased new as a 'standard' CLR powered wedge that I had Atomic retrofit with a Neo speaker when they become available.

I bought a pair in 2013. One of them developed a high pitched ringing after it was in use for a few minutes. it was past the 1 year warranty but Tom replaced the power section anyways. The only complaint is that Tom seems to fall off the face of the earth with the only way to get his attention being posting a complaint on the forums his product is discussed.

I've had 3 CLR active wedges since April 2013 and have used them almost everyday since them for rehearsals, gigs and tours - never a single problem

Have had 3 active wedges. Had a problem with one early on (long time ago) and atomic sent me a new one straight away (replies within minutes on a weekend!). No problems since and they sound great, more musical than my rcf nx 12. I use them for guitar, general monitoring and as foh for smaller jazz gigs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 active wedges here since sept 2013.
Everything working as should, no problems to report.
Handy speakers to have.
Excellent sound.

Have 2 active wedges in daily use and weekly gigs for over 2 years. Never any issues except knobs need a dab of super glue

Have 2 active wedges in daily use and weekly gigs for over 2 years. Never any issues except knobs need a dab of super glue

Same here. The plastic knobs come off the pot shafts pretty easily. One or two come off regularly during careful transport.

I was thinking silicone glue vs. super glue though. For now, I just live with it.

I've had two powered cabs, used regularly for gigs and as mid-fields/PA in the studio for about 2 years. Almost lost a knob, but a bit of paper on the shaft tightened it up nicely.

So, no actual issues at all. My interactions with TK were all exemplary.

TT

No issues with both CLR cabs in 2 years of nearly every day use switched on and off. But, the real kicker for me is that they sound almost identical to my studio monitors (Mackie 824's), but with more power of course! This means I can bounce between speaker cabs at will with no tweaking urges needed. :encouragement:

I've got a pair that I've had for about 15 months. One of them will start to static from time to time, but it's only happened 4 times in 15 months. They are awesome monitors really. The finish is weak though. Breath on them, and the black finish chips off. That aside, the performance is solid for use with a modeler. Axe + CLR can basically stand toe to toe with my MarkV combo.

EDIT: Geez, I just responded to a 6 week old old post. I need to get outside... not sure how I landed on this one. :?

Anyone had this happen?... Last weekend towards the end of the night I noticed one started to cut out or fade out. Was really strange and I thought it was a cable. I brought it home hooked it up tried different cables and tried to get it to do it again and it wouldn’t. BUT I wasn’t playing at louder volume, I left it on for long periods to see if it would do it.. Last night It started to do the same thing at the gig but earlier on. I tried a totally different cable last night as well, same thing...Fades out for 10-20 seconds or longer, comes back on..When it did this I looked at the back and all the little red LEDs were lit..Like it was overloading, I turned it off right away. So there is something happening in the power section forsure..thanks

the thing that sucks is i have gigs coming up where i need this and getting in touch with Tom sometimes can be hit or miss with long periods of nothing.

Last edited:
The crackling I've heard from mine once turned out to be high CPU use on an AxeFX beta firmware, so nothing to do with the CLR at all.

Anyone had this happen?... Last weekend towards the end of the night I noticed one started to cut out or fade out. Was really strange and I thought it was a cable. I brought it home hooked it up tried different cables and tried to get it to do it again and it wouldn’t. BUT I wasn’t playing at louder volume, I left it on for long periods to see if it would do it.. Last night It started to do the same thing at the gig but earlier on. I tried a totally different cable last night as well, same thing...Fades out for 10-20 seconds or longer, comes back on..When it did this I looked at the back and all the little red LEDs were lit..Like it was overloading, I turned it off right away. So there is something happening in the power section forsure..thanks

the thing that sucks is i have gigs coming up where i need this and getting in touch with Tom sometimes can be hit or miss with long periods of nothing.
Sounds like a heat or speaker protection circuit kicking in. Probably heat as it is taking a bit for it to come back on. The good thing is that the protection is working. The bad is that it needs to, whatever that might be. All speakers, regardless of manufacturer, can have these sorts of issues so I am sure Tom will get you lined out. Anything blocking or laying up against the cooling area when this happens?

Back
Top Bottom