Relay troubleshooting

Hi,

I have used my FX8 relays to control channel switching on my Mesa Roadster for a long time without any issue. Yesterday, it suddenly stopped working.

I used a multimeter (set to 2000Ω) to validate my TRS to TS(tip)-TS(ring) cables (unplugged). They are fine.

Then, I plugged the cables(TRS end) in the FX8 relay jacks and measured voltage between sleeve and tip of the TS jacks.

No matter how I modify relay settings (Off/Tip/Ring/Both), I always get the same result. 5V on the tip TS jack and 4.97V on the ring TS jack.

I have no idea how relays work, but I would expect these measurements to somehow change as I change the relay settings.
If I am correct, do I have to conclude that my FX8 relays are broken?

Thanks!

Thanks @rickboot,

Using ohms, all four sleeve to tip TS jacks measurements indicates "Open", whatever the relay settings I choose.

This still tells me that something is wrong with my relays...

I hope nothing is indeed broken, but I am not aware of a setting that could disable relays on the FX8. I went through the whole manual and nothings mention such feature.

Ok... I feel embarrassed... Rule #1, triple check everything is plugged in the right port.

My relays stopped working after moving my rig. I was convinced the relay jacks were the rightmost ones on the FX8 back panel, even if I set up my rig multiple times without doing this error. Even when doing my tests, I unplugged and re-plugged my cables without asserting I was effectively using the relay jacks. It turns out I plugged the cables in the pedal jacks...

Everything's working fine now.

Back
Top Bottom