Rehearsal Space Flooring

WITELITE

Experienced
Thinking about a rehearsal space setup in the house. Was curious as to what you guys have explored in terms of flooring. I like the rubber flooring as its durable but wondered if you guys all go the wood route.

And also curious about the walls?

Any experiences good or bad? Pros and cons.

I would put sound panels in there as well.

Thanks

MM

Mine is a commercial carpet floor, tongue/groove wood walls, sheet rock ceiling. The mix of materials provides a decent trade off of lively vs dead. It probably also works because we don’t practice at gig volume. Probably half to two thirds, as our stage is relatively quiet with V-Drums and the drummer/keys/bass all using IEM on the gig. I use a pair of Presonus 328s in the room and it sounds good, and works well when dialing in vocal parts and harmonies too.

Thinking about a rehearsal space setup in the house. Was curious as to what you guys have explored in terms of flooring. I like the rubber flooring as its durable but wondered if you guys all go the wood route.

And also curious about the walls?

Any experiences good or bad? Pros and cons.

I would put sound panels in there as well.

Thanks

MM

what level of the house will this be? (basement or no?)

Basement. Concrete Floor

MM
I would not go with rubber then.
I learned (the hard way) that the concrete floors are porous and you need to allow water to escape.
Example: I put those rubber puzzle piece mats in my basement....months later (even with a dehumidifier) there will be mold/mildew under them.
I would suggest a floating floor that has air channels underneath (so water can evaporate/escape), or a carpet floor.
Best way to go is carpet with no padding so you can lift it if need be, but that's not great for long sessions. I have carpet with padding, so I keep constant dehumidification and airflow in the room.
I've looked into sealing the concrete, but never got solid confirmation that it would work 100%.

For the record, my basement gets zero water and I'm on ledge. The water that comes up through the concrete is either from the actual concrete, or just small rain water pulling up through the concrete.

Just my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom