Regarding SPDIF to optical (apollo twin x)

Ramon Martinez

Hello everyone!

I've been doing a ton of research and haven't found any information on this matter so I decided to make a post.

I want to connect my axe fx 2 to my apollo twin x, I bought a mini toslink to toslink optical digital cable thinking it would bypass having to get a digital converter box and two cables, however it's not working.

This is the one I got... Amazon product ASIN B07V6FG25T
My apollo console settings are set to 48 khz with it's clock set to internal and my axe fx 2 settings are the same as most people who have done it on youtube.

Before I return this cable I would like to know if I'm wrong for not getting a digital converter box along with an RCA cable and an optical cable.

(my apollo twin X only has 1 optical out)

Thank you very much for your time!

51qVkOnIlYL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

My link didn't post because I haven't created more than 10 posts so heres a picture!

SPDIF on Fractal gear is not optical Toslink. It's regular 75 ohm coax with RCA style plugs. You'll need an optical to Coax adapter. You'll need two if you want to use SPDIF input and output.

I don't have it hooked up right now as I have my FX III going into an Apollo x8 with a straight RCA cable. But it is a simple installation. RCA cable from Axe FX to the RCA plug on the input side of the converter. Set the input switch towards coaxial. The toslink cable goes from the output side of the converter to the Apollo toslink input. Plug in the USB for power and it should be all set.

Do you have to change settings in Apollo console? Also, are there any negatives you see by setting up this way?

I didn't have to change anything with the x4. I use Luna so I don't even open Console. I am not aware of any disadvantages, other than the cost of the converter (which included the cables!). The big advantage is it leaves your Apollo XLR inputs available for use.

I've been doing some research, please correct me if I'm wrong, I believe the only setting I'd need to change in the I/O settings in the AXEFX would be to select SPDIF.

John, I appreciate you replying and helping out along with Mikey. Dave, thank you for asking questions.

Looks like I will be returning the cable I originally bought and buying a converter, along with an RCA coaxial cable and a toslink/optical cable.

I found a video that helps out if anyone needs a visual. He's using an FM3 but it seems to be a similar concept

Lastly, if anyone knows how to reamp using this set up it would be greatly appreciated if you could share the process!
I know it would be kind of difficult or not possible with my interface (apollo twin x) because I have a limited amount of ins/outs, hence why I want to connect my axe fx via SPDIF so that I can free-up my other XLR/TRS inputs.

Respectfully,

Ramon

Lastly, if anyone knows how to reamp using this set up it would be greatly appreciated if you could share the process!
I know it would be kind of difficult or not possible with my interface (apollo twin x) because I have a limited amount of ins/outs, hence why I want to connect my axe fx via SPDIF so that I can free-up my other XLR/TRS inputs.

Respectfully,

Ramon
Configurations #4 and #5 in the recording guide are suitable for use if you’re interested in re-amping with a rig that includes both an Axe-FX and an audio interface. . You’ll find detailed instructions here:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

Last edited:
Hello!

I have an update, I purchased a coaxial and optical cable along with an adapter to connect my axe fx 2 to my apollo twin x.
I can connect through the front of my axe fx and I can hear everything play via SPDIF in my apollo twin x console. However, as mentioned above, configuration #5, I'm having a hard time understanding how to set up the dry signal coming from via AXEFX USB to Computer and the wet signal coming from SPDIF through my apollo twin x. When I plug into the front of my apollo interface I'm only getting a dry signal

You don’t record the AxeFX via USB with configuration 5. Both the DI and the processed signal are recorded from your audio interface. If you look at the routing diagram, you’ll see there is no connection between the AxeFX and the computer. The instructions describe how to record the DI.

Thank you very much for your reply! I understand when you stated that both DI and the processed signal are recorded from audio interface.

I have something else I want to figure out, I'll try to explain the best that I can.

I want to try configuration #5 that you have posted.

I am running...

AXEFX2 => USB => COMPUTER
AXEFX2 => SPDIF OUT => ADAPTER/CONVERTER => OPTICAL IN

APOLLO TWIN X => COMPUTER
APOLLO TWIN X => MONITORS

When I plug my guitar into my axe fx 2 (front) I get a signal coming from SPDIF. I also get a signal if I were to only connect va USB to my computer.

In regards to the Apollo twin x, I have (2) mic/line inputs and (2) line outs left, and of course my instrument jack. What I don't understand is how to use the remaining tools I have in order to record a dry and wet track. I feel like i'm getting lost somewhere due to my configuration but I'm ultimately trying to do configuration #5 that you have shown above

Lastly, I want to be able to reamp. I believe someone mentioned I needed a DI BOX but I've also seen research state it's not necessary.

I also want to include that my spdif connection is running SPDIF out and optical in (theres a converter box in between them). My interface doesn't have another optical out to reach the SPDIF input from the axe fx 2. Will that cause a problem for what I am trying to achieve here?

Thank you very much for your reply! I understand when you stated that both DI and the processed signal are recorded from audio interface.

I have something else I want to figure out, I'll try to explain the best that I can.

I want to try configuration #5 that you have posted.

I am running...

AXEFX2 => USB => COMPUTER
AXEFX2 => SPDIF OUT => ADAPTER/CONVERTER => OPTICAL IN

APOLLO TWIN X => COMPUTER
APOLLO TWIN X => MONITORS

When I plug my guitar into my axe fx 2 (front) I get a signal coming from SPDIF. I also get a signal if I were to only connect va USB to my computer.

In regards to the Apollo twin x, I have (2) mic/line inputs and (2) line outs left, and of course my instrument jack. What I don't understand is how to use the remaining tools I have in order to record a dry and wet track. I feel like i'm getting lost somewhere due to my configuration but I'm ultimately trying to do configuration #5 that you have shown above

Hmmm, that's not how to set it up. I briefly mentioned configuration #5 above, but that wasn't meant to be the complete instructions for you to follow. If you want to know how to set up your rig to record an Axe-FX, you should follow the instructions in the recording guide here:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

In that document you'll find detailed instructions and a routing diagram that shows you how to set things up for a variety of configurations. I would recommend that you start with a simple configuration. For example, it might be a good idea to start with a configuration that does not use spdif or an audio interface.

Back
Top Bottom