Refresh library error

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
Today I went to refresh the library in Axe Edit (1.12.12) and current Axe 3 FW. I got the following error message in the image here. Now the one thing I recently did was move things around in my blocks folders on my Mac since I had downloaded number of the FAS GOT presets and some were blocks. I opened Finder in my Mac - Documents>Fractal Audio>Axe Edit III>blocks. I did not just drag /drop folders onto the parent 'block folder'. previously i had various subfolders in the Blocks folder. for example, some delay blocks that were not necessarily saved in the 'Delay' folder. I figured all delay blocks should be put here so i did a 'cleanup' by taking all delay blocks i could see and moving to this "delay' folder. and did the same for other respective blocks. I fear i messed up the library locations now. gah. Hope this makes sense. there is a library log file showing the the errors. Is there an easy way to fix this?

Attachments

• library log error.jpg
    library log error.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 18
What does the log say?
Any block can go in any folder and still work.
Log errors usually mean a product or firmware version mismatch.

@Michael Pickens may be better able to help with this.

@Admin M@ Here's a screen shot also to show how icons are different on the saved entries. Is that normal? i've never noticed that before. I could post my log file here if that helps. Its' a long log file and it mostly states on each of the problematic entires this line: "The block's device Id did not match the connected device's Id"

Attachments

• library blocks.jpg
    library blocks.jpg
    463.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
In Axe Edit III, the Types will show the 'correct' ones for the Axe III and won't display the errors. Look in the Axe Edit III>Blocks folder on your computer. Using the error log, you can locate and delete the files causing the errors.

In Axe Edit III, the Types will show the 'correct' ones for the Axe III and won't display the errors. Look in the Axe Edit III>Blocks folder on your computer. Using the error log, you can locate and delete the files causing the errors.
so then i'll lose blocks by deleting these incompatible files? i suppose i have a collection of blocks here from all over and can't remember how old some are

The icons show which library entries are for single channels (single grey square in the middle) and which are for the whole block (four grey blocks).

You probably have some Axe II blocks in there or something. Those are not compatible.

It's entirely possible i have some old Axe II blocks that I maybe copied over to my Axe folder (mac) ..entirely possible i did this way back when. I don't actually recall clicking the 'refresh library' for sometime until today cuz I was watching one of the GOT vids ..maybe Steve Vai's where there were some instructions on importing/refreshing the block library so i was like oh shoot yeah I probs havent' done that in awhile

so then i'll lose blocks by deleting these incompatible files? i suppose i have a collection of blocks here from all over and can't remember how old some are
You won't lose anything that is showing up in Axe Edit. You're just removing files that the Axe Fx III is not recognizing. They could be blocks from the Axe II, possibly FM3 or FM9 blocks if there are any parameters missing from the Axe III counterparts.

@Admin M@ Here's a screen shot also to show how icons are different on the saved entries. Is that normal? i've never noticed that before. I could post my log file here if that helps. Its' a long log file and it mostly states on each of the problematic entires this line: "The block's device Id did not match the connected device's Id"
You have block files from legacy Fractal products. They're causing the errors.

If you still have one of those legacy products, then move those legacy files off to a separate folder.

You have block files from legacy Fractal products. They're causing the errors.

If you still have one of those legacy products, then move those legacy files off to a separate folder.
I'm not at my computer right now but is there a way to tell if they are legacy files? I could sort by date in Finder (i'm on mac) and that would probably be easiest unless they are marked as a different /older file type

I'm not at my computer right now but is there a way to tell if they are legacy files? I could sort by date in Finder (i'm on mac) and that would probably be easiest unless they are marked as a different /older file type
The bot produces a text report file in the root of your library folder that identifies all the bad blk files it encountered.

The bot produces a text report file in the root of your library folder that identifies all the bad blk files it encountered.
right! derp. I still havent had my full cup of coffee here this am. Thanks everyone for chiming in on this.

- If the block file has a last-modified date from before the Axe-Fx was released, then it’s a legacy file.

- If the block file size is 1KB, it’s a Gen 2 file (Gen 3 blocks files are 2 KB).

- If a block file has a .SYX extension, then it’s a Gen 1 file.

Last edited:
I have both 1KB and 2KB files in my Axe III library. I think it depends if its a single channel or the whole block.

D
I have both 1KB and 2KB files in my Axe III library. I think it depends if its a single channel or the whole block.
Dunno. My numbers are a quick survey of what I found in my blended (gen 2 and gen 3) workspace. I know there are exceptions (IIRC, the Tone Match block saves a larger file).

I was able to sort this out in less than 2 minutes by sorting my folder/file view by date modified. It was a number of files from 2015. Clearly from the Axe II that somehow snuck in here. All those legacy file extensions show as .blk same as new but the date filter was easiest way to detect. Hit library refresh and voila! no errors.

Attachments

• axeedit1.jpg
    axeedit1.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 8
I was able to sort this out in less than 2 minutes by sorting my folder/file view by date modified. It was a number of files from 2015. Clearly from the Axe II that somehow snuck in here. All those legacy file extensions show as .blk same as new but the date filter was easiest way to detect. Hit library refresh and voila! no errors.
So easy, even a Wookiee can do it!

Back
Top Bottom