Wish Reference IRs by waveform instead of location

A 32-bit hash only keeps track of 4 billion waveforms.
Why just the other day, I went out in the snow, and I found 10 identical snowflakes !!!
Well, at least they looked identical without my glasses on...
:oops:

A 32-bit hash only keeps track of 4 billion waveforms.
Why just the other day, I went out in the snow, and I found 10 identical snowflakes !!!
Well, at least they looked identical without my glasses on...
:oops:
That's not the problem of how many values it can store but how by examples 2 files differing from one specific word will have the same hash value, which is quite easy with crc...

This is, by a long shot, my single most wanted feature for the Fractal ecosystem (I'd want this for the FM3 / FM3 Edit too, not just the Axe-Fx). Managing IRs currently is the single most painful part about my Axe-Fx / FM3 experience for me (especially compared to other amp modelers) – this would be an absolute godsend.

I think it's an awesome idea. Make it happen Cap'n!

...I had duplicate files. So after adding a file compare when a collision was detected I had exactly 0 collisions.
When I read through the thread my mind immediately went to duplicates; Many people are IR crazy and immediately load their library of them, not understanding that the factory cabs probably already contain many of them.

Cliff (@FractalAudio) said the factory cabs wouldn't need to be included in the hash because they don't change, but, because of the possibility of this duplication, I think it'd be useful if they were, and that all the duplicates found were reported so that the user is at least aware that slots are being wasted. If they were summarized in a table and we could mark whether we want to keep or toss the duplicates, along with choices like "Keep 'em all", "Delete all non-factory duplicates", "Delete this duplicate", "Delete all other duplicates", "Print the list", "Open the pod-bay doors", etc., we'd have a great tool to reduce duplication and save wasted space.

And, if part of this was to point to the factory version but allow a custom name I think people would find another use for the hash since some of the factory names are pretty cryptic. Yeah, I know, use our ears but some people want to use their eyes.

I imagine this process could be similar to how the Editor walks the block and cab definitions when it encounters a new firmware, or can be triggered manually when the user has added additional IRs/Cabs.

Last edited:
Yesterday I deleted some user IRs, loaded new ones and moved existing ones. Which was really annoying as several presets had the wrong IRs afterwards (I knew that this would happen but I was quite annoyed nevertheless :))

+1 would be a good help - I only do not reorganize my cabs because of not want to have the work to touch every preset again where I have up to 8 cabs inside. And this only havin one CAB block at FM3 so I think if this will be implemented on FXIII it should not be a great deal to implement on FM3 (or FM9) too.

Yesterday I deleted some user IRs, loaded new ones and moved existing ones. Which was really annoying as several presets had the wrong IRs afterwards (I knew that this would happen but I was quite annoyed nevertheless :))
Bought some new IRs and would have liked to reorder my user IRs. Which is not possible if you don't want to break your presets.
I think IR referencing by waveform instead of index number would be appreciated by a lot of users. I'd say even referencing by name would be a big improvement (if referencing by waveform is too hard to implement).

Bought some new IRs and would have liked to reorder my user IRs. Which is not possible if you don't want to break your presets.
I think IR referencing by waveform instead of index number would be appreciated by a lot of users. I'd say even referencing by name would be a big improvement (if referencing by waveform is too hard to implement).
If it’s done it needs to be done right. The name is too likely to run into problems and would be under the control of the user, who could change it arbitrarily and break the links with the presets or confuse them if the name was reused. Using a checksum of the IR would supply an ID that should be unique and would be resistant to renaming.

Back
Top Bottom