Reference Headphones vs. ASM-12

Well, everyone's ears a different. I found the difference with the Friedmans significant and don't find that they translate well from presets dialled in with studio monitors. Interestingly enough, mine are the quietest powered speakers I've tested as well. There's maybe a 10s initial bit of hum and after that they are silent. For me, it's like an ideal play at home for fun speaker.

I haven't tried the CLR yet but I would easily pick Matrix FR10/12, Xitone's or a Yamaha DXR10 if you want something that sounds close to your studio monitors when playing loud with the band.

Honestly it sounds like you might want to make use of an EQ block and use it for live situations. It may well be that some of what you're hearing is the effect of a different rooms, so some EQ might be perfect for "tuning the room".

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that Dave didn't make the cab to be the flattest cabinet on the market from 20-20k, nor was that the goal. Again, he made it for guitarists who wanted something that would bridge the gap between guitar cabinet and full range speaker. There are plenty of options on the market if that's what people are looking for.

Absolutely. They are what they are - there made the way they are to sound how they do, to suit those who are looking from that. I was just pointing out that that makes them "not FRFR". I dont know how dave markets them (Im in the UK and dont have a need for them) - but if he markets them as FRFR, then he shouldnt really, as there not. If hes not marketing them as FRFR, then fine. They should be "full range" monitors - then there is no question.

Absolutely. They are what they are - there made the way they are to sound how they do, to suit those who are looking from that. I was just pointing out that that makes them "not FRFR". I dont know how dave markets them (Im in the UK and dont have a need for them) - but if he markets them as FRFR, then he shouldnt really, as there not. If hes not marketing them as FRFR, then fine. They should be "full range" monitors - then there is no question.

I don't think they are Full Range either. I haven't done any scientific testing but Full Range would mean that they are useable between 20-20k and don't thing they are. My guess would be that they would be useable, like a guitar cab, sort of from 50 to maybe 5-6kHz with almost nothing coming through above 7kHz. Using them for guitar (excluding acoustic simulators and piezo) that doesn't really matter but I think they are purposefully built not to be neither Full Range or Flat Response and I think that what makes them sound good.

Back
Top Bottom