Ref solo isnt accurate when i listen

Reno

Hey
ok I'm trying to make new effect with tone matching
heres what I so

19213041_1480407008676643_660393772_o.png

I get the source from youtube (like an isolated guitar track)

but the problem is, when I set the "ref solo" on to listen to what it reads, it sounds more aggressive/sharp/higher mid than what it should be so I get tone match that is abit off and its driving me crazy

the tone I'm getting is like the same as the tone I hear when I put the REF SOLO on

I wanna get it the same as I hear it. basically I need to do something to make the sound the same with the ref solo on and off

Am I doing something wrong?
Is there a more accurate/high quality way to read it than usb? (or usb should be good enough?)
Or should I check/reset any preference in my AXE FX II unit?

the tones I get a re pretty close but not close enough

any help is appreciated

Is the Output 1 global EQ set flat? The soloed TMA reference will be affected by the EQ, while normal USB playback isn't.

Level differences or stereo vs. mono could also affect perception. Ideally you should send only L or R if the file is stereo, and make sure the level isn't changing.

Check for phase issues in the reference source. With the reference set to Sum L+R, phase issues can show up from the combining of the left and right source channels. Try just left or right channel alone and see if it sounds more normal.

How close was the tone of that preset before you started the tone match? It's my understanding that you need to be fairly close to begin with.

At 3:23 in this video, Cooper pasted in a comment: "Per a suggestion from Cliff Chase, Axe-Fx creator, on this screen, change REF CHAN from SUM L+R to LEFT ONLY or RIGHT ONLY to avoid phase issues."

You appear to have Ref Channel set to Sum L+R.

Last edited:
there is also a volume difference when I toggle ref solo on
can u guys check with yours is its the same?

Your USB Return Level is set to -6 dB so the normal USB monitoring feed will be 6 dB quieter than ref solo.

Not independently. It's the full signal directly from the chosen reference source, in your case the sum of USB Out 1 (left) and 2 (right) from your computer. You can set USB Return Level to 0 dB and they will be the same level. However keep in mind though, if your preset levels are hot and the USB return feed is hot, you might then get output clipping.

I tried it and realized this is what you're encountering: Ref solo doesn't mute the usual USB-to-output path. One signal is delayed slightly, which causes comb filtering. That doesn't affect the tone match process. It just means you can't use ref solo to listen to a single channel or mono sum of a stereo USB signal.

I tried it and realized this is what you're encountering: Ref solo doesn't mute the usual USB-to-output path. One signal is delayed slightly, which causes comb filtering. That doesn't affect the tone match process. It just means you can't use ref solo to listen to a single channel or mono sum of a stereo USB signal.

so its normal?

heres a video I made so u guys can understand me better

now, the tone matching I get is a lot closer to the ref solo than the actual original sound

is there a way to make it closer to the original sound?

sorry for the video quality

I don't use the Ref Solo any more because of the 'Comb' filtering it can cause. However, it doesn't seem to affect the 'tone match' to me.

I listen to the left, right and summed (at various proportions) source tracks in my DAW to find the combination that gives me the best representation of the overall sound. Also EQ'ing the source track can help the results.

Well do u guys get accurate tone matches? I basicaly get a tone that is close but has alot more mid than what it should be

Its alot more clear that its not the same when i listen to it with monitor headphones :(

Your Tone Match curve shows a huge spike in the upper frequencies. It's possible that you need to adjust the Amp block's gain controls to match the gain in the original.

update on this, as i had the same pb , you just have to mute the block just after the tonematch block while capture/listening to ref source, and it will be exactly the same.
for some reason the signal received as ref source is sent to output 1 or 2 (if your blocks are all connected) and it create comb filtering, and imho it affects the ref file as when i found to mute the block right after TM , the tone macht sound more "natural" to me now, way less phase issue.

so its normal?

heres a video I made so u guys can understand me better

now, the tone matching I get is a lot closer to the ref solo than the actual original sound

is there a way to make it closer to the original sound?

sorry for the video quality

Back
Top Bottom