Redwirez!

Can someone make an A/B comparison with the old ones? just to make sure that the perceived improvement is not caused by Axe-FX firmware improvements

I plan to do this, however, it can't happen until next week. I own the original release of the Marshall cab w/ G12Ms. I am assuming the new free pack has the same IRs with their latest processing?

I have just downloaded the new 1960-G12M25 free pack. However, I cannot find files with the exact names at the old packs. The closest one is the 1960A-G12M

e.g:
New name: 1960-G12M25-SM57-CapEdge-1in.syx
Old name: Marshall1960A-G12Ms-SM57-CapEdge-1in.syx

Would they be equivalents?

Both files look quite similar, but the low frequencies are gone at the new version. It has a very aggressive lo-cut. I don't like it.

Redwirez 1960-G12M25-SM57-Cap-1in.png

Last edited:
This is how they look at Cab-Lab:

Old file: Marshall1960A-G12Ms-SM57-CapEdge-1in
Old.png

New file: 1960-G12M25-SM57-CapEdge-1in
New.png

Last edited:
Actually, Mesa Rectifier Cab 4x12 V30 impulse significantly changed in the new pack, compared to the old one.
I mean, really different sounding. The new one has less top end harshness, and overall sounds more polished and mix-ready, and is slightly darker.

Here are some screenshots directly from the CabLab:

EQ:

New
RW_new.png

Old
RW_old.png

Phase/time:

New
RW_new_phase.png

Old
rw_old_phase.png

Obviously, the EQ is different, but as you can see by the "Time" chart, it's basically the same impulse, maybe slightly extended at the beginning for the new version.

Running the DAW with AFX3 i can only audition the modules at 48k right now, still sounds great but nothing sounds as good as direct RAW 96k/24bit direct imports to the AFX3...

The modules at default sound super polished at first, mix ready for sure but not super colorful. Those little knobs at the bottom right though, Bass and Z...those little things make up for any perceived differential from the single original Big Box IRs in a crazy magical way. Bass simulates having the cab nearther or farther away from the wall...I don't know how it's tuned, but turning it down cuts lows and boosts lots of high mids in a way that makes your jaw drop and immediately satisfied with the upgrade, sounds really good, tuned to the perfect guitar cut high/mid frequency. The Z knob is a really subtle scoop, hard to really perceive at first, but once you get the bass dialed in the way you like, the Z knob can polish it just right by cutting progressively more out of the perfect low mid band to give you thump and chink of the speaker without the oooohm. It's like a variable application of the old impedance curve or EQ IRs that came with BigBox. Those two knobs boost this whole thing to be waaaay worth the upgrade, every single mic position can be dialed in to perfection in like 3 seconds, none of them are throwaways now.

Pros to upgrade: Way easier to audition all the cab/mic combinations with the new module functionality in MixIR3... when you click on one mic, all the positions are there next to each other, you don't have to dig through folders and keep drag/dropping one by one. Fully variable Bass / Impedance adjustment for all mic positions, that's A LOT of flexibility with just those two knobs for every single mic position, they are incredibly powerful. The bass knob either removes low end from woofy mic positions and adds the perfect band of high mids, or boosts bass for bright positions, all on a super smooth interactive gradient (it's not just bass bands, it shifts lows/mids/highs all simultaneously with one knob sweep), and the Z knob adds a subtle mid scoop that slides / gets deeper in a way that you can have the mic way over on the edge and out at 5 inches, woofy and useless, but you can turn the Z knob up to add a scoop in just the right amount to remove the woof, now what was a bleh IR is now a super usable amazing clear full sounding custom IR that you can EXPORT...and you can do that with all 93657528 of them in BigBox X.

(In case of question comes up about two layers of speaker impedance simulation going on, i was auditioning with Recto 2 Red Modern amp with mostly default settings and Recto 4x12 Large speaker model...even with the Redwirez Bass knob on max, the Z knob is tuned so well that at no point can you dial in too much bass that the Z knob can't fix. The Z knob on MixIR3 is mostly a gentle cab-specifically tuned low-mid scoop, that also adds just the right amount high end air, the kind of high end crispness that you get out of an studio Avalon Preamp or something, it mostly serves to compensate for player preference between mic positions, it's just an equalization layer to custom tune all the mic positions. The speaker/cab impedance in the AFX3 is way more powerful, affecting power amp distortion and output EQ. You can use/adjust them both at the same time and it works flawlessly.)

The length knob lets you dial any IR down as far as low as 1ms. Don't like reflections? Want IsoBox tone? Super realistic close mic tone? Dial length down to 20ms, bass knob down to almost off, Z knob almost all the way up. Studio perfect in like 3 seconds. Then you can export that, or save it as a plugin preset.

Cons to upgrade: ???

Redwirez just took the IR hill...

MixIR3 module 1.png

MixIR3 module 2.png

MixIR3 module 3.png

Last edited:
Running the DAW with AFX3 i can only audition the modules at 48k right now, still sounds great but nothing sounds as good as direct RAW 96k/24bit direct imports to the AFX3...

The modules at default sound super polished at first, mix ready for sure but not super colorful. Those little knobs at the bottom right though, Bass and Z...those little things make up for any perceived differential from the single original Big Box IRs in a crazy magical way. Bass simulates having the cab nearther or farther away from the wall...I don't know how it's tuned, but turning it down cuts lows and boosts lots of high mids in a way that makes your jaw drop and immediately satisfied with the upgrade, sounds really good, tuned to the perfect guitar cut high/mid frequency. The Z knob is a really subtle scoop, hard to really perceive at first, but once you get the bass dialed in the way you like, the Z knob can polish it just right by cutting progressively more out of the perfect low mid band to give you thump and chink of the speaker without the oooohm. It's like a variable application of the old impedance curve or EQ IRs that came with BigBox. Those two knobs boost this whole thing to be waaaay worth the upgrade, every single mic position can be dialed in to perfection in like 3 seconds, none of them are throwaways now.

Pros to upgrade: Way easier to audition all the cab/mic combinations with the new module functionality in MixIR3... when you click on one mic, all the positions are there next to each other, you don't have to dig through folders and keep drag/dropping one by one. Fully variable Bass / Impedance adjustment for all mic positions, that's A LOT of flexibility with just those two knobs for every single mic position, they are incredibly powerful. The bass knob either removes low end from woofy mic positions and adds the perfect band of high mids, or boosts bass for bright positions, all on a super smooth interactive gradient (it's not just bass bands, it shifts lows/mids/highs all simultaneously with one knob sweep), and the Z knob adds a subtle mid scoop that slides / gets deeper in a way that you can have the mic way over on the edge and out at 5 inches, woofy and useless, but you can turn the Z knob up to add a scoop in just the right amount to remove the woof, now what was a bleh IR is now a super usable amazing clear full sounding custom IR that you can EXPORT...and you can do that with all 93657528 of them in BigBox X.

(In case of question comes up about two layers of speaker impedance simulation going on, i was auditioning with Recto 2 Red Modern amp with mostly default settings and Recto 4x12 Large speaker model...even with the Redwirez Bass knob on max, the Z knob is tuned so well that at no point can you dial in too much bass that the Z knob can't fix. The Z knob on MixIR3 is mostly a gentle cab-specifically tuned low-mid scoop, that also adds just the right amount high end air, the kind of high end crispness that you get out of an studio Avalon Preamp or something, it mostly serves to compensate for player preference between mic positions, it's just an equalization layer to custom tune all the mic positions. The speaker/cab impedance in the AFX3 is way more powerful, affecting power amp distortion and output EQ. You can use/adjust them both at the same time and it works flawlessly.)

The length knob lets you dial any IR down as far as low as 1ms. Don't like reflections? Want IsoBox tone? Super realistic close mic tone? Dial length down to 20ms, bass knob down to almost off, Z knob almost all the way up. Studio perfect in like 3 seconds. Then you can export that, or save it as a plugin preset.

Cons to upgrade: ???

Redwirez just took the IR hill...

View attachment 60594

View attachment 60595

View attachment 60596
Damn you. Bought.

Anyone had trouble unzipping? I've downloaded twice, I unzip (had to install 7 zip to even open them) I'm getting .bin files?

No issues here with the Vintage Classics pack. Used Winzip.
Thanks for the reply👍I finally got them pretty sure the crappy windows downloader was the problem, it wouldn't complete the download and the installer was missing. I was able to get the completed zips last night using a download app. They opened with no problem.

Actually, Mesa Rectifier Cab 4x12 V30 impulse significantly changed in the new pack, compared to the old one.
I mean, really different sounding. The new one has less top end harshness, and overall sounds more polished and mix-ready, and is slightly darker.

If Redwirez has new masters, then I find it peculiar that they have to filter their top end and bottom end more for the new ones. Based on the fact that they claim they have the world's best converters the prism orpheus, then there should be even more resolution on the top end and bottom end. So if you claim that they filtered the top end and bottom end more for this release when instead, there should be more resolution on both the top and and low end of the spectrum as a result of new masters, then how is that not sketchy as fu#?

The point is to provide higher fidelity audio so that the filtering from the user sounds whey fuller and better, depending on the quality of their filtering and if they even want to apply it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom