Redwirez!

Like seriously, remastering the series, based on the worlds best converter, at higher res, and then the third version comes more agressively filtered on mind you, BOTH, the top and end bottom end when in essence we should be recieving *more depth and more clear air. Should be more sonic content to play with ourselves. How do they know we are not doing ambient stuff and need the full bottom? How do they know we dont want their filtering but instead want to verify the realism of the unprocessed capture?

If Redwirez has new masters, then I find it peculiar that they have to filter their top end and bottom end more for the new ones. Based on the fact that they claim they have the world's best converters the prism orpheus, then there should be even more resolution on the top end and bottom end. So if you claim that they filtered the top end and bottom end more for this release when instead, there should be more resolution on both the top and and low end of the spectrum as a result of new masters, then how is that not sketchy as fu#?

The point is to provide higher fidelity audio so that the filtering from the user sounds whey fuller and better, depending on the quality of their filtering and if they even want to apply it.
Have you tried any of them , original or version 2?

Have you tried any of them , original or version 2?

I own the redwirez modern big box series firstcversion.

But from what I am hearing customers and even the company themselves saying that the new re-makes are filtered darker, I am not likely to buy the upgrade. The point of evolving amp and cab modeling is to provide more sonic extension, not to hide that content as things get better.
We are not asking for processed to then boost. Although it may be a worthwhile experiment if boosting filtered content added by whatever characteristics the filters they added imparted. But I dont have high hopes in this neck of the woods.

IR makers claim that cabs only produce up to a certain limited frequency but its baloney. A mic on a cab has all this other content going on from the fact that its also capturing pushed air which has all this content going up to the highest frequencies of human hearing and beyond. There are many overtones.

Last edited:
I realize that I cannot have air other than trying the air knob if I buy a 3, but I guess I am not necessarily looking for airiness as much as I am looking for 'fullness' of sound, very good IRs and very good modeling code.

So far in auditioning 3sigma, I am pleased with what I hear. Anyone else out there I should be aware of?

It is a bit of a different sound than a mic on a cab, but it is a very good sound.

Ownhammer is ok to my ears. Not too bad. I found them and Redwirez to be about equal quality.

I do not necessarily need the afx 3 to model mic-captured air blowing, I dont think thats reasonable to expect. I dont care so much about that as I do as being able to as a guitar player - get the fullness that all the synth guys get. And in so doing, I want to say yes to buy the 3. In modeling I am looking for that perfect silky top end. I wasnt quite satisfied with the 2. But I may buy the 3 or an FM3 as I anticipate new Firmware version and a new 'extreme res' cab block to come.

3 sigma may sound great but I need to test this myself with the modeling code of a 3.

Last edited:
Regardless of theory, they are sounding just awesome to my taste and I would not hesitate to pay twice the price if required.
You can always blend in a brighter mic or a different/brighter mic position if you need something more open sounding. What I found to be working great in the new version is that they cleared up some buzz and fizz I would be concerned about and would be EQing it out anyway. Now it is just plug-n-play like experience, which is great to set a great foundation and then fine-tune it to your liking.

I have 3sigmaaudio IRs, and like them a lot. They are completely different though, they come as mixes, not single mic versions, which is convenient to some extent, but provides you less flexibility in fine-tuning the tone.

Thread cleaned up. Keep it on topic, thanks.

If you have a concern with a user violating the rules, please flag the post or thread using the "Report" link. It can be found in the lower left corner of every, single post on the forum. Trying to internet-sleuth things in the open leads to witch hunts and an unfriendly place for everyone to congregate.

That is not the type of forum we want to grow and nurture.

Report it. Moderators will investigate and take appropriate action if deemed necessary.

After fiddling a bit more with them I looked at the wav files in an editor and it struck me there's a lot less information in these than in OH's for instance:
OH.PNG

RW.PNG

Redwirez, for me, hit a homerun with this new platform and module base thing.

cant wait for more modules to hit the store. (EQs and Reverbs)

Just bought the Vintage Classics over the weekend. The Fender IRs are the best sounding ones I've heard. The Celestions are great too - a bit too much on the top end but I've had no problem tweaking that.

Just bought the Vintage Classics over the weekend. The Fender IRs are the best sounding ones I've heard. The Celestions are great too - a bit too much on the top end but I've had no problem tweaking that.
Agreed, they seem to be more raw or "unprocessed" sounding.
I'd rather cut eq than add it. Their Weber IR is what hooked me.

Being a Red Wirez user from years ago I went ahead and plunged into the new Modern Big Box pack, along with mixIR3.

Also, since being an existing customer, RedWirez offered a 20% discount on new purchases. However, that discount code expired on 12/31/19...or did it?...LOL. I tried the same code and was pleasantly surprised that it did work...although not for 20% but much more.

Back
Top Bottom