Redwirez...so let me get this straight

shasha

Fractal Fanatic
There's like 500 IR's per speaker? Am I reading that correctly or am I confused?

How in the heck are you supposed to ever even get halfway through a single collection let alone the entire BigBox set?

How are you guys auditioning them? Surely you can't be uploading them one at a time. Do you record a signal sans cabinet and then use something like LePou or Voxengo to demo them?

And of course the big question...I know that there are a lot of fans of the redwirez and I know that a good IR can do wonders for your tone, but are they that much better than the stock ones or is it more an issue of a bigger selection?

The ones most relevant to the Axe, besides the preconverted ones, are the ones in the "48 KHz-24bit" directory

I got rid of the rest, but there's still quite a few left to audition...

I made up a few blends, mainly with the SM57 & R121 mics and have been pleased enough with those
that I haven't done much critical listening to the rest, although I'm starting to think about the Earthworks TC30
and the good mentions those IRs are getting here and there...

It's a task to get thru all of them, for sure.

Personally, I think that the Red Wirez are worth the cost in time and money, although I also like the built-ins.

I tend to use 2 hires cab blocks in most of my patches and can hear a difference. Maybe placebo effect, maybe not.

I especially like the VoxAC30, UberCab w/T75&V30s, BassmanP10Q, ShowmanD130, HiWatt, and the G12H30 as well as the new SVT for bass.

I also have one with a mix of TwinD120s&TweedDeluxeP12Rs that seems to fit well with the open back combo amp type.

It can be fun to mix different speakers & mics/placements and listen to the results.

Although it can be a time waster, it's a lot quicker, easier, & cheaper than amassing the real items and flailing around in the studio.

Need more user slots... :ugeek: :roll: :?

I've never tried to go through every impulse. I will try a cab with a particular mic. If it's not in the ball park at cap edge at 2" or 3", moving through the different distances isn't going to get you there. So I'll move on to a different mic.

The benefit IMO is when you find one that is close, you have a lot of options to dial it in without using additional EQ.

My method is to try focusing on one variable at a time.

For example, keep the mic distance the same and just change mics.

Then having focused on a mic I like, explore mic placement.

I haven't messed around with mixing IRs so that's where my tweaking ends.

The sheer number of IRs in the Big Box is the reason I didn't buy the whole set, just one cab. I just don't have the time to dig deep, and I can always buy more.

Our tutorial gives you some good starting points with the mics and some tips for dialing in your tone from there. Go down to the bottom, section #6:

http://www.redwirez.com/tutorials.jsp

The general gist is that you don't need to try them all to find a tone you like, but they're there of you need them.

redwire said:
Our tutorial gives you some good starting points with the mics and some tips for dialing in your tone from there. Go down to the bottom, section #6:

http://www.redwirez.com/tutorials.jsp

The general gist is that you don't need to try them all to find a tone you like, but they're there of you need them.

That's it right there. You do not need to try them all.

goodwill559 said:
My method is to try focusing on one variable at a time.

For example, keep the mic distance the same and just change mics.

Then having focused on a mic I like, explore mic placement.

I haven't messed around with mixing IRs so that's where my tweaking ends.

The sheer number of IRs in the Big Box is the reason I didn't buy the whole set, just one cab. I just don't have the time to dig deep, and I can always buy more.

+1

This is usually what i do. I'll start with 0" on the cap and try different mics to get an idea of their sounds. If I find something really close to what I want I might stop to try a couple of other nearby positions with that mic. Once I've narrowed it down more, then I'll start playing with those few mics and the different positions. Usually what I'm after is two positions, and between the two together I'll get the full kind of sound I want.

I think for my main Mark IV patch it's the Uberkab, both speakers, with a mix of the TC30 dead centre and an MD421 (although I might have changed the 421 last time I was playing).

It's equally impossible to audition every possible combination of amp settings for every amp model within the Axe-FX itself, before you even start thinking about cab IRs :)

IMHO some people have an irrational fear of missing out on the best possible tone, when in reality it's quite easy to work towards a tone you really like by changing just one thing at a time. For amps, this could just be a bass control for example. For the RedWire cabs, just change one element at a time (cab, mic, location or distance) to hear if it takes you closer or further from your goal.

When you have a tone you like, just play and enjoy it, and forget about whether one of the other 10,000,000 settings combinations might sound 0.03% better :D

And that is why I find myself not jumping all over it right now. I have far too many options and crap to tweak as it is. I like the idea of having all of those IR's, but what I want to know I suppose is if it's going to really make my presets sound amazingly better or is it just a matter of it sounding a bit different.

And to be honest I've used IR's before with ampsims and understand how different and valuable they are to my tone, I just wonder if they are vastly superior to the stock ones or is it just a matter of having that expansive selection that gets everyone juiced over these. Because I agree, once you get to a certain point you are only going to really be using a couple most of the time. If they don't sound that much better than what is the point besides bragging rights or just the ability to do it?

That's exactly what stopped me from buying the big box. It's just too daunting (for me... your mileage may vary). I wanted it, real bad, because I can NOT get a good Fender clean with the built in cab models (again, that's me... your mileage may vary). But some people replied to my Fender quest by saying: "You gotta get yourself the redwirez"... so I looked into it, and said the hell with it, I don't understand it enough and I don't have enough tweak time to make anything that makes sense out of it.

If redwirez were to collect the 10 (or 20 oor 30) best ever blended cab models dreamed up by Fractal users (and if that collection included the necessary magic blend for a Fender clean), I would be more than happy to shell out the same amount of money they want for the whole big box. It's not a cost thing, it's a "how freaking' complicated can it get" thing.

I have bought 4 of the Redwirez Big Box IRs. I guess it is as complicated as you want to make it. What would you do if you were miking an amp the traditional way? How about just start by picking an IR that matches a speaker/mic/location that you have used in the past, then make adjustments/tweaks as needed/desired from there. If you are lost on that, research a little bit on amp miking basics. Plus there is a wealth of info on this forum to help out.

GM Arts said:
When you have a tone you like, just play and enjoy it, and forget about whether one of the other 10,000,000 settings combinations might sound 0.03% better :D

But I figure that if like my tone, I just need to find 3,333 different ways to make my tone better... 100% improvement!!!!

right_to_rage said:
[quote="GM Arts":1tdegmp2] When you have a tone you like, just play and enjoy it, and forget about whether one of the other 10,000,000 settings combinations might sound 0.03% better :D

But I figure that if like my tone, I just need to find 3,333 different ways to make my tone better... 100% improvement!!!![/quote:1tdegmp2]
haha - astounding logic! :lol:

Dpoirier said:
That's exactly what stopped me from buying the big box. It's just too daunting (for me... your mileage may vary). I wanted it, real bad, because I can NOT get a good Fender clean with the built in cab models (again, that's me... your mileage may vary). But some people replied to my Fender quest by saying: "You gotta get yourself the redwirez"... so I looked into it, and said the hell with it, I don't understand it enough and I don't have enough tweak time to make anything that makes sense out of it.

If redwirez were to collect the 10 (or 20 oor 30) best ever blended cab models dreamed up by Fractal users (and if that collection included the necessary magic blend for a Fender clean), I would be more than happy to shell out the same amount of money they want for the whole big box. It's not a cost thing, it's a "how freaking' complicated can it get" thing.

The process has been relatively simple for me. I just use the SM-57 at the cap edge at 2". If I need more body, I select a sample that's an inch or two closer. If I need to cut some bass, I select a sample and inch or two further. So far, 2" works 90 percent of the time.
Scott's formulas are a lot of fun too. I've found that the sounds that I get from RW are well-worth it. Jmho.

I have a real noob question. Are these IRs something that you import into the Axe or do they go into your DAW program as a plugin?

A) Axe-Fx compatible sysex files are located in the Axe-Fx folder.
or
B) Working with our speaker impulse responses (IRs)
1. First you need an audio host. This can be a full blown Digital Audio Workstation (DAW), a standalone VST host, or a standalone, software-based guitar amp/effects modeler. Pretty much any DAW will do ya...
2. Next you need a compatible convolution plugin. Our IRs should work fine with any convolution software that can load 3rd party impulses...
3. Load up an Impulse Response.
4. Route your guitar signal through the convolution plugin.

Reference: http://www.redwirez.com/tutorials.jsp

guys I have a question

let's say I buy one IR from RW, is there a way to audition the different variations?

I mean, I have only 10 user slots, and I would like to keep 2 or 3 for other special cabs I need (acoustic etc etc).
how do I manage to efficiently audition Red Wires IRs using only few slots?

am I missing something, or does it boil down to uploading a few at the time, maybe trying to mix them and then starting from scratch?

let's say that I have slot 1 for a good acoustic cab I need for some presets.
if I then by mistake load another cab in slot 1 the previous acoustic cab is lost, or was it saved to the preset?
I am trying to understand if I need to make a small grid of what cab is in which slot, in order to avoid messing up previous slots when trying new ones

pisquano said:
guys I have a question

let's say I buy one IR from RW, is there a way to audition the different variations?

I mean, I have only 10 user slots, and I would like to keep 2 or 3 for other special cabs I need (acoustic etc etc).
how do I manage to efficiently audition Red Wires IRs using only few slots?

am I missing something, or does it boil down to uploading a few at the time, maybe trying to mix them and then starting from scratch?

let's say that I have slot 1 for a good acoustic cab I need for some presets.
if I then by mistake load another cab in slot 1 the previous acoustic cab is lost, or was it saved to the preset?
I am trying to understand if I need to make a small grid of what cab is in which slot, in order to avoid messing up previous slots when trying new ones

You need to take some notes and keep track of what you have in each slots. The User cabs slots are global - the position saves with the preset, but NOT the actual physical IR, that is global.

I just use the editor and move each IR to the Axe-FX, play, take notes and move to the next one. For mixing them, you need a DAW to be efficient and can load the 'truncated' ones in there. There are many tutorials posted on this forum with step-by-step instructions.

Back
Top Bottom