Redwirez muddy, any suggestions?

Skyadron

Inspired
Hi guys!

So, I bought the bigbox bundle a while ago. I did some research before buying all of them, and I liked most of the tones I heard from these impulses, so it felt like it would be worth it to buy them all at once.

I have been auditioning and testing them and it seems that I can't make them work right, they just sound mushy/muddy and sometimes muffled, and when I turn presence or treble up in the ampsims, it seems to get fizzy and nasal (well, if I put a lowpass, it's still nasal).

So here's a link to the patch that I'm using:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/14642837/5105.syx

And here's what it sounds like (this mix has only double tracked guitars and drums): https://dl.dropbox.com/u/14642837/redwirez mesa test clip.mp3

The impulse used in the recording is the Mesa rectifier v30 sm57 2" away from the cap edge

I'm currently playing an Ibanez rg1527 with bare knuckle nailbombs in it (alnico)

Thanks in advance for the help!

The closer the mic is to the center of the cap the brighter the tone will be. So if cap edge seems too dark for you, try putting it right on the cap. That would be way too bright for me personally but it is subjective.

Also, In my experience the Mesa Recto v30 cabs are very low end heavy so you might want to try some other cabs.

As AdamCook said, closer to the centre of the cap will be brighter. Also, pulling the mic back a bit with something like a 57 will reduce the proximity effect a lot. If you're having trouble finding a mic/position that gives you exactly what you want, try blending two or more together. That way if you've got one that gives you the mid/low end you like but not enough clarity, you can blend in as much of a more centred mic as you want to bring in the high end.

There are obviously a lot of options, which can make sifting through things a bit tedious, so just try to be as methodical as possible to make the process a bit easier.

When it comes to loading them into the Axe later on if you need to, you can mix them into a single IR so you can just run a single hi-res cab block.

I use the Redwirez and have not experienced that problem on the whole. As others have pointed out, it's very much dependent on the amp and cab you're using and will be greatly influenced by the microphone type and position. Some are brighter to begin with, and as was stated the further you move from the cap, the darker the sound.

For a starting point, try a Marshall 1960 with greenbacks and an SM57 and/or Sennheiser 421 cap edge between .5 and 3 inches - that should yield a pretty articulate and defined tone.

You can blend these 2 mics to taste with the IR mixer. This is what I've been doing and the tone is not dull at all!

Last edited:
My advice is try some of the IR's with different mics if you are going to stick with Redwirez.

did you remember to set it that there is no mic simulation?
Mic = None

If you use third party cabs, do remember to turn mic option to none, since the IR already has a mic in the IR itself. If I remember correctly, Redwirez gives you several to choose from.

But you are not the only one, a friend of mine has a RG prestige as well with EMG's and I tried to make a nice preset for him, since he's new to the Axe FX world.
I just couldn't get a decent sound that we liked. Tried various amps and Red Wirez Cabs.
In the end I went with the stock cabs and changed the mic from none to a 421. Sounded pretty decent.
Signal chain was 808 Overdrive, FAS 6160, Mesa V30's with 421.
I personally use Redwirez on my own Axe FX II, I love 'em!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom