Redwirez is dead?

NightWalker

Power User
Hello there guys!!!Anyone knows what happen to Redwirez Impulses?i sent an email to them some months ago and still no reply from those guys.

They've been MIA for a while, now. Better IR's out there, anyways. Try OwnHammer. Best in the biz, in my opinion.

Also tough that their “big box” pack has been freely distributed across internet channels for years, so many potential “customers” figured why pay $125 or whatever they charged when they could just DL it for free.

Likewise, RW used to give you your money back if you said you weren’t happy. Naturally many would buy, use the IR’s and then ask for a refund, keeping the files on their computer and continuing to use them for free.

Tough market as is, and when your losing part of your market to piracy, part to increased competition from ML, Ownhammer, Celestian etc, it’s amazing they lasted as long as they did.

Sadly the pioneers sometimes are the first to go out of business

In all honestly their stuff while not bad, is a bit dated as well. They kind of kept peddling what they had, while others introduced new technics, offered more accsssible file structures and mixed IR’s, and you’d just have to wonder why someone would buy RW with so many other great products on the market.

Then the gorilla in the room is the III, which is already packed with 2000+ great IR’s, so how many buy that then feel they need to go buy any IR pack from anyone ? I mean come on, if it’s not in there, or at least close, don’t think spending $29.99 for another pack is going to matter lol

The RW stuff still kills. You'll see them used everywhere, including pros.
Apart from not being Ultrares (something that most won't hear), I can't see why they would be considered dated. The amount of IRs per speaker/cab is so large that it covers all. And it was professionally done.
I certainly have no problem using them. Their G12H30 and EV libraries still belong to my favorites.

I was implying the format itself is increasingly dated, the huge folder with thousands of Ir’s, with all the cone edge, 2” off axis, 3” from grillcloth etc. I think it’s 1) a bit daunting for many users, especially those new to IR’s and 2) a bit difficult to go through everything to find what you like. It’s not “bad” but simply the way it was done.

I think I remember getting all these additional files too for power amp impedances or types of power amp etc, and you had to combine those with the cab Ir’s in their Ir loader software, mix2ir I think it was called ? Good software actually, but a bit confusing imo

These days, I think the overall “packaging” is a lot slicker and more turn key. You pay your money and you can get all the raw files, same as always, but you can also get the files converted for your modeler of choice, you can get a folder of mix ready blended IR’s, where all you have to do is pick one of ten tones you like best.

It’s just a bit more accessible option for a lot of people I think. It’s buying exactly what your after, and having soemthing instantly useable, even if you haven’t mic’d a speaker, and don’t know what cone edge 4” means vs a different file.

Sorry to imply anything negative against the company or their product. I did give them my money and bought the big box bundle. Was ages ago, when I was using freeware vst amp sims.

Still work good, just know that I for one haven’t dipped into them in years, using instead stuff like ML’s mix ready Alloy folder options. Just easier and faster for me than digging in the “big box” folder

Since getting the III I’ve not used anything not in the box though, BUT, I still do just go to the legacy 4x12 TV mix #1 more times than not lol

The Big Box was my very first 3rd-party IR purchase. To this day, I still use mixIR2 as my loader. One thing I forgot about is that I use their bass cabinets more than anything, these days.

^^they still arent ultra res though...

although you did convert them in ultra res "format", they still have the sound of standard res IRs.
the wav files of redwirez irs were captured in a standard ir format, which isn't long enough to be ultrares.

hope that made sense.

Ah ok got it. What was the minimum wav length in miliseconds for UltraRes again?

The RW stuff still kills. You'll see them used everywhere, including pros.
Apart from not being Ultrares (something that most won't hear), I can't see why they would be considered dated.

If I remember correctly, Mike had WAV versions of all of his IRs too, which means you could create UltraRes versions using Cab Lab.

If I remember correctly, Mike had WAV versions of all of his IRs too, which means you could create UltraRes versions using Cab Lab.
Wow, good idea...should have thought about that a long time ago. Had a few of their G12H30 IR's and those are quite good IMHO; a bit less bassy than OH ir's

They were one of the first third party IR providers I purchased files from.

Good stuff from the time frame they were taken. I'm very surprised since the industry went 170ms, 200ms, and 500ms impulses that they never came out with "son of big box" or something like that.

It's sad to see them go.

MI Software is a rough biz to be in. With competitors popping up every day, you have to go above and beyond servicing your customer and figuring out where the MI business is going 5 to 10 years down the road. It's a full time job just letting people know you are out there.

Figuring out what people will actually purchase versus what they say they want is a tightrope act too.

Back
Top Bottom