Redwirez impulses

Can anyone tell me what's the difference between the RW impulses already loaded in the axe fx 2 and the same ones on the RW website?

Is it just that you have more options (like mics) or are they actually better than the ones that are in the axe?

Theres's no definitive information about the differences. However, I believe the AxeFX-II RedWirez have been recorded with a neutral mic (you can add a mic sim in the CAB block) and have been slightly EQ'd to perform better with the AxeFX-II.

All this being said, I have been completely happy with the cabs in the AxeFX-II and I have no desire to get the RedWirez. Other people though love the RedWirez, Ownhammer, and other 3rd party cabs.

I have been completely happy with the cabs in the AxeFX-II and I have no desire to get the RedWirez. Other people though love the RedWirez, Ownhammer, and other 3rd party cabs.
You'll eventually try them. It's like buying a Harley and not adding ONE thing to it.... Eventually, everyone does.;)

The manual says the stock RWs and OHs are special blends.
Couldn't find any further description how they are done.

They are certainly different then just the regular RW IRs that are miced with the TC30 (reference mic). I'm pretty sure Cliff EQ:d them as well. I think you should try the orginal ones, they are less boxy and more natural sounding. IMHO of course.

I believe the AxeFX-II RedWirez have been recorded with a neutral mic (you can add a mic sim in the CAB block) QUOTE]

Aaaaaaaaaaahhh! This is exactly the part that was confused about. I didn't I know that when I choose a cab and a mic, does it switch the axefx to use the relevant RW cab and
mic impulse, or does it choose the RW cab and then axefx applies it's own mic sim on top. Looking through the manual it does show a MIC SIM block after the CAB sim block in a wire diagram so....I think you've just cracked it for me thanks!

This helps to understand why people go buying RW impulses, when they already have some loaded in the axefx. Better to have a real, and specific impulse according to your favourite mics/distance etc.. than to use a sim I guess!

Better to have a real, and specific impulse according to your favourite mics/distance etc.. than to use a sim I guess!

your wording is a little off, here. Both are IRs, the ones in the Axe are most likely mixes. That's the only difference.
The cool thing about the Redwirez is, that you can 'adjust' them to your preferences by switching to mics/distances/locations you prefer. For some it's overkill, for others very welcome.

The Axe (1 or 2) is very deep though. I'd suggest getting used to it first (1-2 months) and then add another variable like Redwirez if you want to.
FYI just as many people prefer the stock IRs to the ones offeres from 3rd parties, so don't pressure yourself into buying them right away. The Axe will be with you for a while, so relax and enjoy the journey, like Scott says so aptly.

Last edited:
yep never been good with words! I understand that they are both impulses, I just didn't understand the mic part, whether it was part of the impulse or just a mic sim on top of the impulse. As in when you select a mic on the CAB edit page, does it then make -the-axe-use-a-new-RW-IR- or does it use the same IR and add a mic sim on top (that's not part of the IR).

I've got plenty of learning and tweaking to do so am not at the stage yet where I feel I need to add new impulses, but I just wanted to understand why you'd want to add your own and what the benefit was.

Thanks for all responses (pun not intended)

yep never been good with words! I understand that they are both impulses, I just didn't understand the mic part, whether it was part of the impulse or just a mic sim on top of the impulse. As in when you select a mic on the CAB edit page, does it then make -the-axe-use-a-new-RW-IR- or does it use the same IR and add a mic sim on top (that's not part of the IR).

I've got plenty of learning and tweaking to do so am not at the stage yet where I feel I need to add new impulses, but I just wanted to understand why you'd want to add your own and what the benefit was.

Thanks for all responses (pun not intended)

It uses the same IR but adds the mic coloring on top of that.

I'd say that its nothing more than selection available to you. The ones included in the AxeFX are had picked to sound good based on whoever picked them and put them in there and I think that there is a great selection available in the 50 we have. But if you need something different or have a different ear you have the option of getting one of the sets and handpicking yourself. Neither is better than the other, there's just more of them and out of the 89 billion or so to choose from you may find what you are looking for.

One other thing that seems to have lost steam around here is the ability to mix multiple IR's to really nail what you are looking for. With the stock cabs you can't do that, but with the libraries from ownhammer and redwirez you can use a DAW or IR-Lab to mix multiple IR's and create a custom one. I love the idea of taking mutliple mic placements to create an IR that takes only one slot.

The only downside of IR-Lab is that it doesn't support the AxeFXII file size difference and I'm not sure if they are going to develop it so that it does.

There is a way to mix RW IRs on the RW website as well. If you need g2 format just download the mixed file in wav format and convert it to syx after downloading. You can also use SoX to mix two or more IRs in wav format.

Is there any way to audition the file before downloading it?
No.

Forgot to mention the RW plugin mixIR2, which looks like it might be pretty good. I have it but haven't taken time to work with it yet.

I haven't talked to IIan in some time, but I know he had planned to update IR-Lab for g2. Since it hasn't happened by now I wonder if his plans have changed (perhaps because of mixIR2?).

Last edited:
I use the RedWirez mixIR2 plugin for mixing IR's. It works very well for me and has a few features that IR-Lab didn't have. (You can mix in EQ settings or the impedence response curves in series while mixing regular cabs in parallel for example.) You have to save the files as 48K wave files and use Axe-FX IR converter to convert them after you've mixed them, but I don't have a problem with that. I think it's free if you have the Big Box collection or you can buy it from them. Used it this morning to do a few custom mixes of God's cabinets that I saw in another thread and it worked well for that too.

Back
Top Bottom