RedWirez Big Box Far Fields: Game is ON!

I just had a chance to check these out, and first experience with some mixing, and all I can say is wow. I'm digging them...a lot! Thanks Mike!!!!!

Deltones said:
Scott Peterson said:
Here's what I did:

- Drop the new FF IR's into your Axe-FX one at a time (appropriate preset, i.e. Marshall cab/Marshall preset); turning everything else in the preset to 'bypass'. Just amp/cab.

- Listen.

- Take notes.

- Make guess, type up a spec mix that makes sense and run the mixer, then convert it with Albert's converter.

- Drop it in the Axe-FX as above.

- Listen.

- Take notes.

- Adjust as you go.

Ah, the post I was looking for. Actually Scott, why don't you do this process by recording a pass with just the amp block in Reaper and then audition your cabs with Kefir or something similar? Wouldn't it be faster that way?

Yes, yes it would. I am a creature of habit and my clunky old school 'long way' just works so I keep at it. I will be setting up what you are talking about though. It would speed up the entire process immensely.

Scott Peterson said:
Yes, yes it would. I am a creature of habit and my clunky old school 'long way' just works so I keep at it. I will be setting up what you are talking about though. It would speed up the entire process immensely.

Scott, the post from you I referenced actually made me think about a question for the Reaper forum. Here's the link to the post, and check the part referencing "Parallel FX processing". You might know about it, but I did not (I'm a newbie Reaper user). I'll definitely check it out, as I downloaded Mike's utility today and want to attempt a few IR mixes with the farfield update.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=47752

They're just an update?!?!

Here I am browsing the website, ready to pay another 40 bucks or something (happily, I might add), and I realized they're a free update.

That's amazing - the Axe just seems to draw great service from everyone.

Thanks so much RedWirez, the new IR's have fixed the one little caveat that I was fighting with.

This might be one of the best $50 bucks I've ever invested.

Deltones said:
Scott Peterson said:

Scott, the post from you I referenced actually made me think about a question for the Reaper forum. Here's the link to the post, and check the part referencing "Parallel FX processing". You might know about it, but I did not (I'm a newbie Reaper user). I'll definitely check it out, as I downloaded Mike's utility today and want to attempt a few IR mixes with the farfield update.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=47752

Cool - thanks! I just opened the manual for the first time... perhaps I'll get the hang of it yet (which is funny, after I have my mixes nailed. lol!)

Behind the $50 for the Red Wirez; the $60 for Reaper was the bargain of the year.

dont want to derail.... but i cant help but wonder why doesnt cliff just make better ir's for the axe? is he just leaving room for others to make a buck? is it that hard? the cabs are the obvious weak point in the axe now.

Cliff even said he's at the point of diminishing returns on modeling... spend some time on the cabs then no?

dpeterson said:
dont want to derail.... but i cant help but wonder why doesnt cliff just make better ir's for the axe? is he just leaving room for others to make a buck? is it that hard? the cabs are the obvious weak point in the axe now.

Cliff even said he's at the point of diminishing returns on modeling... spend some time on the cabs then no?

Maybe because you can't be an expert in everything? I'd rather see Cliff come up with other epiphanies for us Vintagers who want models like Supro, Magnatone, etc, than see him spend time on stock cabs, considering the 3rd party IR available today. Personally, I never really liked the stock cabs, and for a long while, my main cab was one of Jay's Eminence 1258 IR. The main reason I didn't use the stock cabs was because there was a boominess I couldn't stand. However, this never was a problem for me because of the Axe-Fx option of user cabs. The stock cabs are still perfectly useable for everybody, it's just a question of taste. We're dealing with sound, man. And if there is one thing that guitar players like to argue about, it's tone. Nobody has the same idea about it, and that's what makes it all interesting.

As for your comment about "leaving room for others to make a buck", look at the amount of combinations of distance and mikes and cabs the Redwire's package offers. Now, try to imagine the time involved to make them all of equal quality. Now look at it's selling price. I'll leave it at that.

dpeterson said:

I'd disagree. I use the stock cabs as comparisons for the mixes I am doing.

Cliff can't please everyone. That's why he allowed us to use User Cabs. The stock cabs are killer; they just are one IR though. I find the balance of a mix to be more what I am after... but keep in mind that not everyone (is anyone?) after what I am after.

If you just grabbed one singular Red Wire IR, it'd be no better or worse than anything in the Axe-FX stock cabs. The power comes from choices and control to mix them.

IMHO, YMMV.

Thanks Guitar Dojo. I'm sold on the Redwirez and those 'Blues' should definitely help out.

Dpeterson, I couldn't agree more. The cab/mic sims are the only weak point of the Axe Fx at this point, but with Mike at Redwirez and people like Scott taking the initiative to shape better sounding cabs, the game really finally is on. I'm really grateful for all the work you guys put in.

Thank you!

dpeterson said:

Stock IRs are great... as great as the Redwirez are I would not want to lose the stock IRs ....that said I'm sure Cliff is working on something to address the last untapped segment to it's full potential.
Maybe it will only come when AXE-FX2 comes out, maybe sooner but I'm sure something is coming in the cab department.

;)

I don't see the problem with the stock ir's. For a measly $50 you can get the latest, greatest ir's and continue to do so. Thank goodness Cliff was smart enough to give us 10 user slots which is really more than enough. The only ir improvement I would love to see (and from what I've read, it isn't possible) is the ability to name the user cabs. Other than that, like Scott says the real beauty of the aftermarket ir's is the ability to mix them.

So....working with the AxeFx for live use regarding these ff irs, is it basically just loading up some ff irs and close mic'd irs in a audio program, mixing them then saving the result......next load up to AxeFx?

mitch236 said:
I don't see the problem with the stock ir's. For a measly $50 you can get the latest, greatest ir's and continue to do so. Thank goodness Cliff was smart enough to give us 10 user slots which is really more than enough. The only ir improvement I would love to see (and from what I've read, it isn't possible) is the ability to name the user cabs. Other than that, like Scott says the real beauty of the aftermarket ir's is the ability to mix them.
+1

I'm quite happy with the stock IRs I'm using and haven't purchased the Redwirez yet. Maybe I will in the not so distant future just to see what all the fuss is about, but I doubt that the results will be that much better (maybe I'm wrong here, maybe I'm not :D )

Back
Top Bottom