Reducing CPU ques

chrisjnyc

Power User
I have a couple songs where I am using the multi delay, delay and reverb, and running up against the CPU limit. Would it be possible to remove some of the channels to save CPU? I have removed a few FX blocks that were low in the mix, and also muted the 2nd cab IR.

If not removed from the preset, what would be the the least CPU intensive option to for the 3 unused channels?

If you've already tried it, then you already know channels don't contribute to the cpu load. All that matters is what is loaded into the currently used channel.

If you've already tried it, then you already know channels don't contribute to the cpu load. All that matters is what is loaded into the currently used channel.

OK, but it could be a wish list option, where you have a null block\channel for the other channels that you dont use.

OK, but it could be a wish list option, where you have a null block\channel for the other channels that you dont use.
channel doesn't matter, the block is already there, that's what's causing the CPU load. It's not 4 instances of the block, it's 4 groups of settings for the block.

This ↑. Channels are sort of like presets within an individual block.

Try economy mode and/or reducing the echo density in the Reverb block. Different reverb and delay modes use different amounts of CPU as well. You might be able to tweak a less CPU intensive mode to cover the same ground. Also try the diffusion setting in the delay block as well. Sometimes you can use that to replace the reverb block for some things as well.

The biggest CPU savers can be found in the Reverb block:
1. Quality. Basically 20% difference between Ultra-High and Economy. 5% increments stepping through the different modes.
2. Echo Density. Basically a 6% difference between 8 and 4.

As @2112 pointed out, there are other blocks that can replace multiple block chains when configured in creative ways.

Using the Diffuser Parameters in the Delay and Multitap Delay blocks can add more ambience as well.

Last edited:
I do not have yet an fm3, but with the axe fx II any bypassed blocks in a scene can be x,or y to a lower cpu model to save a small amount of cpu in a given scene.

Back
Top Bottom