Reducing CPU load

guitardoc

Experienced
I was wondering if anyone could help me out here. With FW19 one of my presets (please find it attached) pushes the CPU load over the edge and the crackling starts... :-(

It is basically a preset with three sounds in two scenes. The sounds are morphed in between using external controller 3 (foot pedal as continuous controller on MFC).

Scene1 pedal toe: sitar without delay
Scene1 pedal heel: chorus cleans with delay

Scene 2 pedal toe: crunch with delay
Scene 2 pedal heel: chorus cleans with delay

The first part of the song I use the preset for is played with scene 1 in action and morphing between cleans and sitar. The second part is played with scene 2 and morphing between cleans and crunch. All I have to do is switching scenes during the song while playing clean - which worked without any sound dropout - and then using pedal 3 to morph. It worked flawlessly so far and was the only chance to get that particular song done.

However, since FW19 the CPU usage increased somehow which leads to that nasty crackling.

In order to check the preset out (without crackling) you may set the cab resolutions to normal res.

Now - has anyone got an idea regarding an alternative routing with maybe less blocks or some other measures which

- delivers the exact same preset handling and sound (especially with regard to the delay),
- enables me to use the cab resolutions in ultra res (as it used to be)
- reduces the CPU load such that the crackling does not occur?

I have been racking my brain for hours now but seem not to be able to find an alternative...

Thanks for any help - it is really appreciated.

View attachment Cln3SitarMGain.syx

I am not at my Axe FX so apologize if I suggest something you have already done - I have a few patches right on the edge as well, and a couple of times I have been able to get buy with deactivating the built in noise gate, verifying that my x/y for things like reverb and chorus were set to same values (I was not using Y but it had more springs or density in reverb, and required more CPU), lower springs/density on reverb and voices on chorus to save a percent, consider using second amp for drive instead of Drive block unless critical to your sound. Even shunts use a little CPU so minimize if you can by merging paths.

CPU load - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Thanks for all your help - but apart from falling back on normal res cabs nothing really helped.

When I replaced the two filter blocks that do nothing (apart from making sure that the described wiring works as intended) by shunts and unplugging USB the crackling stops. Maybe there is an easier way to achieve what routing I want without the filter blocks? But I can't get my head around how to do it...

Otherwise, normal res cabs are the only way to go...

I don't even bother with ultra cabs as no one, including myself, will notice once everyone is playing. For recording I can see go that last little bit, but live it's a waste of resources IMO.

This uses a simpler routing and fewer modifiers. External 3 controls volume blocks. You may need to adjust their tapers or modifiers to get a suitable level throughout the sweep. Filter block at end of row 1 is set for mute bypass, engages as delay send in scene 2. CPU% = ~92.5 with no USB connection.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28651/axefx/sitarrevised.syx

sitarrevised.png

Back
Top Bottom