Reduce the sound of the pick

Clive

Experienced
I have a preset with an amp with lots of gain. The problem is that when I do palm mutes on the low E string I hear too much the scratching of the pick and I would like to reduce or kill it if possible.

Using a spectrum analyser, it seems that this sound coming from the dry signal is spread in a large frequency band so I can't attenuate anything with an EQ or I kill my dry signal. I think I should do something in the time domain instead of the frequency domain.

I wonder if I can do someting with a compressor but I don't know how to set it and where to put it.

Thanks.

Last edited:
The Fractal has a specialized dynamics processor built-in to the amp block for this.

PICK ATTACK – This parameter controls a sophisticated dynamic range processor that operates on leading

edge transients. Negative values reduce pick attack while positive values enhance it.

You could also just change picks. I use Tortex when I want the pick clicking/scraping sound, but then when I dont want the sharp click/scraping sound I use Nylon picks. I've even recently experimented with Timber Tones picks made out of various wood and that pretty much eliminates that entirely but introduces a warming softer tone.

I tried different picks and different picking techniques but it did nothing. I have to try the pick attack parameter (I don't have my Axe next to me now).

I love the pick attack parameter. I remember seeing a Paul Gilbert video where he talked about angling the pick forward to intentionally get more of the scratch coming through in single note chugging riffs. Tilting the pick forward is great for metal licks and it is cool to have a parameter that allows you to dial in more or less of that sound.

The material of the pick, the shape of its edge and tip, the way that you hit the strings (orientation, speed, depth, etc.), combined with the winding of the strings (round, flat, half-round) all conspire to change the string noise... this is a magical area where I still can't understand what is going on (particularly regarding pick materials). I would consider this as a "fundamental" issue of your personal sound, and wonder if you want to avoid using the "pick attack" setting, as it is Fractal-specific; perhaps this problem should be studied in general? Only you can decide. :)

If you want quiet strings that don't sound flat-wound, consider trying a set of these, they wrap the wound strings in a teflon tube. <http://www.elixirstrings.com> I used to use them extensively, but they don't make 8--38, what I switched to (many years ago).

I think that there were some strings with elliptical windings that had a tighter pitch and were therefore quieter... let's see... yeah, Dean Markley "Helix."

Very well thought out and said! I agree with what you said 100%.
I am always trying different pick materials, shapes, sizes etc.
I routinely shape and polish the pick tip for better performance (speed picking can eat picks).
Red Bear picks are one of the best I have found. I order them with the speed bevel.
Although they are hard to come by now.

Reactions: kgk
I use a negative value for dynamic presence, usually just -1dB is enough, and I cut a few dB at ~1kHz.

I was battling with this also recently and played with all the settings to get it under control and couldn't. I finally got frustrated and pulled the original amp (5153) out of the closet and plugged it in and it was even worse!
Conclusion... recently changed to the tortex max grip stiffo picks and they are causing it but I like them so much I've just learned to try to make it as musical as possible...lol

Thanks guys for your help.
I tried the Pick attack parameter and sadly it did nothing even set to maximum or minimum. Maybe this comes from the fact that there is a LOT OF gain in my preset and I don't want to lower it because I love it like it is.
I should try with a much cleaner amp setting to really see the influence of the pick attack parameter.
By the way, I use the IIC+ DEEP type amp block with Quantum 1.01.

Last edited:
Have you tried tuning the hi-cut in your cabinet? Take it down from default 20kHz down to 7 or 8kHz?

If you have a drive block in front of the amp, try putting in a hi-cut filter at about 2kHz. Maybe these settings will change your tone in a way you don't like, but maybe they'll help with the scratchy/sharpness of the pick sounds.

Maybe you're just to Pick-y.....;):D........

But seriously, playing a guitar with a pick makes it pretty hard to avoid the pick sound. Especially with distortion. It's kind of like playing a sax and not liking the 'reed' sound, or playing a flute and not liking the 'wind' sound, or playing a piano and not liking the 'hammer' sound.

Pre-EQ might be your best bet though?

Put a 'Looper' block in the beginning of you grid. Add a 'Filter' block after the 'Amp' & 'Cab'. Set it to 'Peaking' with a very narrow 'Q'. Record a short loop showcasing the 'pick' sound. Set the 'Filter' block gain to the maximum and while the loop is playing, move the 'Freq' up and down until you find the 'Pick attack' frequency. Now move the 'Filter' block to before the 'Amp', and reduce the 'Filter' block gain to the minimum (or as much as needed) at that 'Pick Attack' frequency.

Back
Top Bottom