Redoing patches after a firmware update is a pain but ...

aleclee

Power User
Sometimes the results are worth it. I really didn't like what 2.0 did to my favorite Dumble patch. I finally had some time to dial it in tonight so I decided to tweak away. It ended up being less a revision than a re-envisioning. It took a while to work it out but the end result was definitely worth it. Not only do I like it better than what had with 1.05, I finally have something that is more than a facsimile of what I got from the Two Rock I sold to fund my Ultra purchase in 2009.

I think this is vital for Gen1 Axe-FX owners coming into the Gen1 Axe-FX to do. Settings from the Gen1 do not work the same; the II is simply a different box. The amp modeling block is a prime example of why, IMHO, you need to 'unlearn' what you did to dial up tones from the Gen1 boxes and just approach it fresh.

Sometimes Yes as there is a constant improvement even from basic items.But you get an update text and a lot of help here what to do after the change.AXE 2 Firmware 1.05 to 2 was an issue but basically not that big.What is an issue is to relearn for Axe STD and Ultra owner -->to move to Axe 2 as it functions differently( the use your ears advise(consatnt) is not that acclaimed)

Roland

Sometimes Yes as there is a constant improvement even from basic items.But you get an update text and a lot of help here what to do after the change.AXE 2 Firmware 1.05 to 2 was an issue but basically not that big.What is an issue is to relearn for Axe STD and Ultra owner -->to move to Axe 2 as it functions differently( the use your ears advise(consatnt) is not that acclaimed)

Roland

so if your patches are upset but an upgrade, there is a way to get things back again?
what would worry me would be losing everything after having investing so many hours in setting the patches up...
that'd be heartbreaking

IMO, you don't lose anything per se.

But changes in the modelling algorithms could result in sonic changes to your existing patches. Those changes might be something you like or dislike so you might end up tweaking as a result.

Also, when new parameters are exposed, you might be required to mess with your old patches to get the new values where you like them.

The other discussion in this thread is for people switching from an Ultra or Standard to the II. In that case, your overall patch creation approach might need some re-thinking. This IMO, is for people that have a desired sonic goal and learned the tricks of the trade to obtain that goal with the Gen I boxes. To get the same sonic results, you may end up rethinking your patch creation approach in general.

Richard

I'm finding this slightly scary because of the way I use real time control [exp pedals]

they take a long time to set up...

I'm finding this slightly scary because of the way I use real time control [exp pedals]

they take a long time to set up...

You normally don't have to mess with that much. And the II makes it quick to alter if needed.

ahh... that's comforting... I hope I don't struggle when it comes to this area....

my setup really takes some setting up and getting right...

ahh... that's comforting... I hope I don't struggle when it comes to this area....

my setup really takes some setting up and getting right...

Are you worried about assiging IA etc. as modifiers and then having that mapping trashed on firmware upgrade?

Or are you worried about the pedal calibration / min max and pedal characteristics?

For me so far, the firmware flashes affect the audio mostly.

Richard

I think this is vital for Gen1 Axe-FX owners coming into the Gen1 Axe-FX to do. Settings from the Gen1 do not work the same; the II is simply a different box.
Just to be clear, my redoing the patch wasn't so much a G1/G2 thing so much as a limitation in how the AxeFx's controls don't let you dial in a Dumble model like the real thing. I think it was Jack Zucker on TGP who pointed out the way the clean channel's volume affects the gain staging for the dirty channel. My new patch does a better job of staging the drive than the old one. It still doesn't clean up quite like the Two Rock did but I like it better than my old patch that was based on the Cork Sniffer factory preset.

Just to be clear, my redoing the patch wasn't so much a G1/G2 thing so much as a limitation in how the AxeFx's controls don't let you dial in a Dumble model like the real thing. I think it was Jack Zucker on TGP who pointed out the way the clean channel's volume affects the gain staging for the dirty channel. My new patch does a better job of staging the drive than the old one. It still doesn't clean up quite like the Two Rock did but I like it better than my old patch that was based on the Cork Sniffer factory preset.

Makes sense.

"cork sniffer" = WIN! :D

so if your patches are upset but an upgrade, there is a way to get things back again?
what would worry me would be losing everything after having investing so many hours in setting the patches up...
that'd be heartbreaking
it's not so much that your whole patch, including effects and all will need to be retweaked. the thing is, that some updates may change the amp model you were using, could be just the case that it was re-modeled for more accuracy. in that case your old settings will probably sound off, but it only affects the amp model then. most of the time upgrades have brought better results in the end though, but they need to be redone. the only way to (usually) get back to the pre-upgrade sound is to go back to the old firmware.

Back
Top Bottom