Red Wirez "Tone Recipe Formula" Sharing Thread

randocaster said:
Quick question Scott. It seems a bit illogical to add both left and right room samples to a mono cab.

But you just gave me an idea. Make 2 of essentially the same IR, but one with the left room, and one with the right room, and pan them hard L/R. YOu would get a consistant overall tone, but maybe with a little natural stereo effect. Or maybe not.

Anyways, thanks for all the work you put into sharing this stuff!

Here's why I do that.

Stereo "Room" Ir's are usually much longer. They are most likely being truncated and all the 'room' isn't getting in. The R and L version are much shorter - the same 9kb or so that all the other wav files are.

So by summing both the L and R down, whatever the speaker sounds like from farther back, you are getting it summed down.

Your idea is cool. I don't know if you'd get a stereo effect at all, but the tonality and 'color' of the speaker heard from further back is what we are adding to the 'rude' 'upfront' close mic'd sounds that tend to fit in mixes better.

Thanks Scott. Here's where I'm unclear. I remember (I think) Jay posting that a properly recorded Axe FX IR will not have any room reflections. But when you are doing far away room impulses (even truncated Axe FX versions) what are you really getting?

And what happens when you sum the stereo room impulses to mono?

Sorry to veer this off topic, just trying to understand the physics to this.

Jay?

randocaster said:
Thanks Scott. Here's where I'm unclear. I remember (I think) Jay posting that a properly recorded Axe FX IR will not have any room reflections. But when you are doing far away room impulses (even truncated Axe FX versions) what are you really getting?

And what happens when you sum the stereo room impulses to mono?

Sorry to veer this off topic, just trying to understand the physics to this.

Jay?

Think 'speaker', not 'room'. You are hearing the speaker from that distance, not the room.

In other words, to my ear, it isn't adding "ROOM"; it is adding the sonic nature of the speaker from that distance.

Thanks Scott. FWIW, I made 2 IR's with Left and Right Room mic added respectively. They sounded identical to me. No stereo effect whatsoever when panned.

Theoretically, if both mics are at the same distance and angle and room characteristics (reflections) are not involved... There shouldn't be any difference.

Dutch said:
Theoretically, if both mics are at the same distance and angle and room characteristics (reflections) are not involved... There shouldn't be any difference.
Yes, using stereo micing only makes sense if the box has two different types of speaker like the Ubercab or the Matchless2x12.

Although I am happy with my Red Wirez mixes, I had some time left, and just for fun (yeah, some people will never understand the "fun" part) I switched all my main presets to STOCK cabs (single or dual, or stereo if CPU% is tight), WITHOUT mic sims. With amazing results.

This is a RW thread, but what the heck...

The stocks seem a little less transparant / less hifi / more boxy, but they have already "body" and presence without the need for extra measurements, and the simplicity certainly attracts.

Also, I have to do less EQ-ing to get things right. Without a mic sim, there are less extreme lows and highs. I can set the controls for the Bogner XTC like I used to do on the real amp, which doesn't work that way if I use mic'd Red Wirez IRs.

Very tempted to stick with stocks for a while. And as I wrote, the simplicity of it is killer.
Man, I've been here before (serach the forum and you'll find). At the time I was having problems with my monitors, they probably influenced a good comparison at the time. Anyway, this journey never ends ... :)))

So, this is the full monty now:

Brownface: 1x10 Gold (original Vibroverb had 2 of these C10Ns)
Vox: 2x12 Brit
Shiva Clean en Shiva Ld: 4x12 V30 + 4x12 German (an appreciated combination, but beware of bass)
Uberschall: 4x12 75w + 4x12 German
Brown: 4x12 V30 + 4x12 25w
1987x: 4x12 20w + 4x12 25w (totally in love with Plexi again)
Euro Blue and Euro Red: 4x12 V30 + 4x12 German (my love for the Euro sims is back)
Marsha BE and Marsha HBE: 4x12 20w + 4x12 25w
Soldano SLO-100: 4x12 V30w + 4x12 25w (no stock Eminence cab, this works fine)

I've dialed in some AIR (17.7% at 3431) with the high-gain amps, though it's hard to notice and I don't want to overdo it.

I've said all along that the stock cab IR's in the Axe-FX are excellent.

And I still will say that because it is true. I am happy running the little formula I've detailed above for myself. Rehearsal tomorrow night to 'hear' them for the first time in context with a live band.

Scott Peterson said:
I've said all along that the stock cab IR's in the Axe-FX are excellent.

And I still will say that because it is true. I am happy running the little formula I've detailed above for myself. Rehearsal tomorrow night to 'hear' them for the first time in context with a live band.

Scott, please let us know your live-experience with your latest formulas!

In the past i never had succes with the "offAxis" positions. But as the lemming i am sometimes (when in the learn, try and error mode) i will give the latest popular 85% SM57 capedge offAxis 2in + 15% TC 30 capedge formulas based on YEKs idea (and now he goes back to stock :roll: ....meh .... at the end we`ll start from the begin ... never ending :D )

I really need a consistent conclusion for my speaker setting!
In the real world: It`s your Guitar Cab.
In the FRFR world: seems to be the co-operation of cab-IR+mic position+(GEQ / PEQ / Hi/Low-Cut in the Amp sim or whatever)+FRFR (for me 2x Beyma 12ga50).

So, i will fuse this together (per cab). And than: Never change a running system ... :roll:

I've built a couple of recipes based on Scott's latest formula and it really works, except for the EVM12L which sounded very dark. Weird though because that's quite a bright speaker.

anyhoo... I know this makes no sense technically, but I've had good luck adding a mic sim after the RedWirez IRs for live playing to give it more punch. I like the effect the U67 has on my redwirez IRs. Any thoughts or comments on that?

Back
Top Bottom