Red Wirez Cab Impulses

Not sure what the problem is for Xavi :?: . It worked like a charm for me on the first try (when it comes to computers, there's a first for everything :lol: ). Thanks Mike! And sorry I called it software... you're lucky I didn't call it the doomafiggy that makes the doodad do something :shock:

Hey Mike/Red Wirez

I'm not sure if you realize this, but you probably do.... Or, I'm totally missing something...

I think the folks who were talking about combining IRs were doing it either using the features of their DAW that just allow them to run a signal through more than 1 instance of a convolution reverb, like Sound Designer, with each instance using a different IR.
Or, they were doing it within the Axe. The Axe Cabinet Block allows for 2 separate cab IRs to be loaded at once, each panned in the stereo field according to taste.
Most Axe Presets will allow for 2 cab blocks to be used at once for a total of 4 cab IRs at once.

I don't think anyone (except you) has been talking about munging two IRs together into a single file. (Unless I'm wrong.)
Can't wait to hear what it sounds like though.

InsideOut said:
joegold said:
I don't think anyone (except you) has been talking about munging two IRs together into a single file. (Unless I'm wrong.)

Actually

http://www.fractalaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9347

;)

OK. Thanks.

This really is "the future", eh?
Still waiting for my jet pack though.
Whatever happened to them?
And flying cars, like on The Jetsons?
Eh?
And men on Mars?

They can mix 5 guitar cabinets together and put 'em in a little box, but they can't give me a jet pack yet. Go figure.

joegold said:
They can mix 5 guitar cabinets together and put 'em in a little box, but they can't give me a jet pack yet. Go figure.

Are you saying given the choice between the Axe-FX with the ability to mix 5 guitar cabs together and jet packs you would choose the jet packs? :D

Just a side note... the guy reponsible for designing said jet packs is a guitar player. It was an odd coincidence that development of the jet pack stopped at the exact moment the UPS truck dropped off his Ultra. :lol:

Without wanting to take this too far OT, I'll say that combining multiple IRs into a single file is something I've been doing since before I got my axe in October 2007. In addition to combining different speaker IRs, you can combine equalization with a speaker into a single IR. IOW, if you have a cab IR you like but that sounds, say, a little dark, you can brighten it with EQ using almost any wav editor, then save the equalized IR, convert it, and upload it into the Axe-Fx. If you want to combine the sounds of two different speakers, you can mix the IRs. You can then add any desired equalization and save the combined/equalized IR into a single file.

There are, of course, caveats. Depending on the normalization - if any - of the initial IRs, you may need to attenuate them before you combine them. If they are not synchronized with each other, you will need to do that by trimming the leading portion of one of them. Etc., etc. Also, determining exactly what EQ you want to add is a nontrivial exercise.

I figured that most folks who have the ability to successfully use this kind of technique were already aware that it was possible and had at least fooled around with it at some point. Perhaps I was mistaken in that belief.

Xavi Garci said:
I have a problem with IRmixer, I followed all your instructions and I get this message in the DOS box:
Using IR base folder: "..\"

Mixing files...
./bin/sox FAIL sox: --combine: `mix-v' is not one of: sequence, concatenate, mix
, mix-power, merge, multiply.
Normalizing IR...
./bin/sox FAIL formats: can't open input file `.\tmp\test-mix.txt.wav': No such
file or directory
Converting to pcm24...
Not able to open input file .\tmp\test-mix.txt-norm.wav.
System error : La operaci¾n se ha completado correctamente.

Make sure you put the IRmixer folder in the same folder as the BIGBox and Speakerbox folders. So, if your impulses were installed at C:\Red Wire Impulses\ then you should put the IRmixer folder there. The root of your impulse folder should look like this:

Red Wire Impulses\BIGBox
Red Wire Impulses\Speakerbox
Red Wire Impulses\IRMixer

Then it should work.

Oh, and you have to have the Marshall 1960 Greenback IRs because the test IR mix looks for them.

InsideOut said:
Not sure what the problem is for Xavi :?: . It worked like a charm for me on the first try (when it comes to computers, there's a first for everything :lol: ). Thanks Mike! And sorry I called it software... you're lucky I didn't call it the doomafiggy that makes the doodad do something :shock:

Technically, it's software... but, shhhhh... don't tell anyone. Then I'd have to support it and on principle be forced to make a decent user interface :)

redwire said:
Technically, it's software... but, shhhhh... don't tell anyone. Then I'd have to support it and on principle be forced to make a decent user interface :)

:lol: Your secret is safe with me my friend. Good thing we didn't talk about it somewhere the whole world could hear :eek: :lol:

Deltones said:
Mike (of RedWirez),

Quick question, and hopefully, it wasn't answered in this massive thread. Will the upcoming cabinets listed on your site (bigbox) find their way in the current bigbox bundle or they will be part of a different bigbox bundle at one point? I'm this close to buy your bundle, but I see more than a few cabs in the upcoming list that makes me go "Me want, me want", but I'm ready to wait a little bit more if they will be added to your current bigbox bundle.

Same goes for the speakerbox page.

Oh, and by the way, look at this watch go in front of your eyes...back and forth...back and forth...

At the count of three, you will have the great desire to make a Dual Showman cab (2x15) IR... A great desire indeed :mrgreen:
There will be so many cabinets that along with a newer even BIGGERBox bundle with all of them, I think we'll have to split them into themed bundles. We'll figure something out.

Current BIGBox owners will be able to cherry-pick from the new cabs at a 20% discount, so it's probably to your advantage to buy the BIGBox bundle before we come out with the even BIGGERBox bundle (or whatever we call it). The new cabs should come out before the end of the year. We'll probably get to 1 or 2 more of the Speakerbox collection by then, as well.

Gotta go... I can't explain it, but I feel a strange desire to hit ebay :)

It still doesn't work for me, I put both Bigbox (Marshall1960A-G12Ms) and Irmixer in the same folder (C:/redwire impulses), I get the same message.

No problem with the IRs, which I think are absolutely fantastic and worth buying.

Hey Xavi,

For whatever reason your system is stripping the spaces in the "mix -v" command. I uploaded a new version that may provide an adequate workaround. Please download it and PM me after you try it. I don't want to clutter up this already monstrous thread with troubleshooting back and forth. I'll post the solution when we work it out.

Thanks.

And for people just tuning in, this has nothing to do with the IRs. Xavi is having trouble with a little utility I hacked up for mixing IRs.

I'm finding auditioning and working thru all of the IR options from the Big Box a little daunting (but fun). I don't have much faith in the current beta editor, it's doing some pretty wacky stuff. Anyway, is the general consensus WITHOUT using the "create your own super IR out of like 4-5 Red Wirez IR's technique" to use:
2 - cabs in a MONO patch (if you only have one FRFR monitor for live use)
Keep the cabs panned straight up
Use a close mic'd Red Wirez IR on one (in User 1 slot) and a "ambience" type Red Wirez IR (in User slot 2)?
Just wondering, I know there are a ton of variations on a theme even before we start talking about stereo rigs, but I want to make sure I understand how you guys are getting the most out of these IR's.

Gasp100 said:
I'm finding auditioning and working thru all of the IR options from the Big Box a little daunting (but fun). I don't have much faith in the current beta editor, it's doing some pretty wacky stuff. Anyway, is the general consensus WITHOUT using the "create your own super IR out of like 4-5 Red Wirez IR's technique" to use:
2 - cabs in a MONO patch (if you only have one FRFR monitor for live use)
Keep the cabs panned straight up
Use a close mic'd Red Wirez IR on one (in User 1 slot) and a "ambience" type Red Wirez IR (in User slot 2)?
Just wondering, I know there are a ton of variations on a theme even before we start talking about stereo rigs, but I want to make sure I understand how you guys are getting the most out of these IR's.

The response you will get most is..whatever sounds good to you.
But it appears most people are blending near field and farther field mics. For me, i have found using the Royer mic and a combo of cap edge .5 and cone edge 4" to 6" to be a good starting point for the sound i am looking for. it varies a bit between the cabinets...but i start there and adjust.

The ambient mics are nice, but only one method to create a more spacial cabinet.
I started using the little app that Mike posted to create single IR's out of the blend. At some point i will settle to a total of 5 or so cabinets, but right now I am still running thru many combo's.....really enjoying this level of tweaking.

Mike Snider said:
... but right now I am still running thru many combo's.....really enjoying this level of tweaking.

That's for sure. I finally pulled the trigger on the bigbox bundle and speakerbox cabs last night and started to test them. I will need to do more testing to confirm, but I found out that using the IR with Kefir in my DAW gives me a much better sound than using the same IR that has been converted for the Axe-Fx. The converted SYX file is bassier and I feel there is a blanket-over-cab effect going on with the cab block.

Deltones said:
I found out that using the IR with Kefir in my DAW gives me a much better sound than using the same IR that has been converted for the Axe-Fx.
Of course. I've been making this point all along. You're comparing an IR that is long enough to include room reverberation - exactly how long is not specified - with an IR that is long enough to model the direct response of the speaker, and no longer. This is precisely why I warned against making decisions about Axe-Fx use based on auditions in a computer-based convolver.

The converted SYX file is bassier
This is not a general effect. It will vary widely depending on the direct response of the speaker and the amount and frequency content of the room reverberation in the full IR.

and I feel there is a blanket-over-cab effect going on with the cab block.
There is not. A 1024-point IR is more than long enough to include all the audible features of a speaker's direct response. If what you hear is muffled - assuming your rig is not to blame - then that is the sound of the IR you're auditioning.

Jay Mitchell said:
Deltones said:
I found out that using the IR with Kefir in my DAW gives me a much better sound than using the same IR that has been converted for the Axe-Fx.
Of course. I've been making this point all along. You're comparing an IR that is long enough to include room reverberation - exactly how long is not specified - with an IR that is long enough to model the direct response of the speaker, and no longer. This is precisely why I warned against making decisions about Axe-Fx use based on auditions in a computer-based convolver.

The converted SYX file is bassier
This is not a general effect. It will vary widely depending on the direct response of the speaker and the amount and frequency content of the room reverberation in the full IR.

[quote:1gi6lt5d]and I feel there is a blanket-over-cab effect going on with the cab block.
There is not. A 1024-point IR is more than long enough to include all the audible features of a speaker's direct response. If what you hear is muffled - assuming your rig is not to blame - then that is the sound of the IR you're auditioning.[/quote:1gi6lt5d]

Most convolver programs allow you to limit the length of the IR, so you can do some comparisons.

javajunkie said:
Most convolver programs allow you to limit the length of the IR, so you can do some comparisons.
Yes, but that's not an absolute necessity. You could also create shortened versions of 1024-sample length and audition them.

My point is that several IR-related notions - most notably, "room sound" - get bandied about here in a very cavalier manner and that caution is in order when making decisions based on platforms other than the Axe-Fx itself.

Back
Top Bottom