Red Wire Cab Marshall Cab "Formula" Suggestions

mtlin said:
I agree that it's a killer combination. I just wanted to point out that there are A LOT of killer mics in the Redwirez collection and it would be a pity if anyone slept on any of them thinking that pro engineers all go for a Royer SM57 combo. I love the Senn MD409. I'm so glad that Mike is including it now. To me that mic sounds like a combination of a R121 and a 57 right out of the box. And the Beyer M160 is a classic for guitar cabs. I find that it sits in the mix a little better than the Royer. But the Royer is so silky!

I am an old Royer loyalist; I could never afford to buy one myself but when I was recording guitars for my CD and important keeper tracks, I begged, borrowed or rented a Royer 121. That mic just makes things 'fit' for me. Drop a 57 off axis on the cap... move it around a bit and 'poof' everything worked for me every time.

Now with this collection; I'm right back where I used to be except... I don't have to ever to worry about dropping that mic. :D

Scott Peterson said:
mtlin said:
I agree that it's a killer combination. I just wanted to point out that there are A LOT of killer mics in the Redwirez collection and it would be a pity if anyone slept on any of them thinking that pro engineers all go for a Royer SM57 combo. I love the Senn MD409. I'm so glad that Mike is including it now. To me that mic sounds like a combination of a R121 and a 57 right out of the box. And the Beyer M160 is a classic for guitar cabs. I find that it sits in the mix a little better than the Royer. But the Royer is so silky!

I am an old Royer loyalist; I could never afford to buy one myself but when I was recording guitars for my CD and important keeper tracks, I begged, borrowed or rented a Royer 121. That mic just makes things 'fit' for me. Drop a 57 off axis on the cap... move it around a bit and 'poof' everything worked for me every time.

Now with this collection; I'm right back where I used to be except... I don't have to ever to worry about dropping that mic. :D

Yeah, it's just insane that we have such a comprehensive mic locker to play with now! It's like having $10,000 worth of mics at your disposal.

mtlin said:
Yeah, it's just insane that we have such a comprehensive mic locker to play with now! It's like having $10,000 worth of mics at your disposal.

So what are your processes for narrowing the field to the mic placements and choices that you like? There are a dizzying array of options with the redwirez.

And when we get into combining cabs, how does that work with the syx files? I can use the IRMix app on the website to mix wavs, but the axefx wants to see a syx file.

Thanks!

gdgross said:
mtlin said:

So what are your processes for narrowing the field to the mic placements and choices that you like? There are a dizzying array of options with the redwirez.

And when we get into combining cabs, how does that work with the syx files? I can use the IRMix app on the website to mix wavs, but the axefx wants to see a syx file.

Thanks!

My process is to start with the different mic's and the same position; say 0" cap and take notes about the tone. Good or bad; strength & weakness. Move it around in terms of placement and distance; and repeat for another mic and another; and so on. Once you've done that, you can look at your notes and make an educated guess what will work.

You mix your .wav files; and then you convert them to .syx files with the AlbertA converter.

gdgross said:
mtlin said:

Thanks!

Here's AlbertA's software for the wav to syx conversion.
http://guitarlogic.org/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=0

A simple plan to audition the irs is to try out the R121 at the cap from 0-3". Then see if you like it better at the cap edge. Next, the old standby SM57 with the same deal. That's how I start. When I want to dig in more, I'll have an idea of what these sound like. As you move use irs from further away points, you get more treble. It's pretty simple to figure it out.
Mixing irs is big fun. I just made a 60/40 mix of the Hiwatt with the R121 and the SM57. I used the SM57 because that sample has a lot of high end clarity while the R121 has some smooth body. :cool:

gdgross said:
mtlin said:

Thanks!

First, spend some time playing around with different mics and get to know their characteristics. A Royer 121 is fat and silky. A SM57 has an upper midrange peak, a 414 is fat and dark, a 421 is scooped, etc. It helps to make recordings. I just make a little clip of the same riff with different mics. It helps to hear the tone objectively. And then I do pretty much as Scott says. I start with a mic on the cone. (But not 0". I start with 6" because I know from experience that this distance is close to what I'll ultimately want.) If the tone needs to be bassier, I move the mic closer. If it's too muddy, I move it farther away.

As far as mixing mics, I keep it pretty simple. I find a lot of mics don't need to be mixed. Some mics are great but really benefit from being mixed with other mics. The Royer sounds fantastic because it is so fat and smooth. But it's a little too fat and smooth. That's way a 57 is perfect match for it. The 57 is light in the bass and has a little nasal peak. Mixed together you get the best of both worlds. But I use the MD409 and the M160 a lot and I find that those mics don't need support from other mics unless you want some room sound. To get mic mixes, I load up the IR's in a VST convolution reverbs and then mix until I'm happy with the sounds. Their are online tools that will help you calculate percentages from db levels.

This all sounds more complicated then it really is. If I'm in a hurry, I'll but the 409 3" or 4" from the cone and call it a day. Sounds great every time.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I look forward to selecting & mixing these IRs to my own taste, but given the sheer magnitude of options, it's kin of daunting!! I already don't practice as much as I should...

Posted with TouchBB on my iPhone

Re:

gdgross said:
Thanks for the replies guys.

I look forward to selecting & mixing these IRs to my own taste, but given the sheer magnitude of options, it's kin of daunting!! I already don't practice as much as I should...

Posted with TouchBB on my iPhone

While the Red Wire packages offer a lot of options, I think you'll find which ones you'll naturally gravitate to and it makes the process a lot simpler. Once you do, then the distances are just fine-tuning for your eq needs. It really is fun and easy.

I can't post with my TouchBB app. I wonder if it's because I have the Lite version. :?:

GuitarDojo said:
I got the Redwirez now...so many choices.. What else could he possibly add? ;)

From Red Wirez website:

Upcomming Cabs ....

Roland Jazz Chorus w/Roland 12" Speakers
'68 Marshall Basketweave w/G12H Blackbacks ( 55hz bass cones )
Vox AC30 ALNiCo Silvers ( Pulsonic cones )
Fender Dual Showman w/JBL D130's
Soldano 4 x 12 w/Eminence Legends
MESA 2 x 12 Halfback w/Black Shadow C90's
MESA 2 x 12 Halfback w/Black Shadow EV12L's
Matchless 2 x 12
ENGL Pro 4 x 12 w/Celestion G12M Greenbacks ( 25 watts )

There you go .... ;)

GuitarDojo said:
Eq'ed IRs (bass boost, mid scoop) for hi gainers and djentlemen :twisted:

fremen said:
GuitarDojo said:
Eq'ed IRs (bass boost, mid scoop) for hi gainers and djentlemen :twisted:

Pretty easy to do yourself with the Redwire Reaper Project file too. :D

Hey mixers,

The online mixIR will now spit out files in WAV and Axe-Fx sysex formats. Thanks to AlbertA for generously contributing his sysex conversion code.

Back
Top Bottom