Red Sound Elis8 FRFR Review and MF 10 Comparision

My Elis.8 is not as noisy as my Atomic CLR NEO MKII. The Atomic producses a hiss which also depends on how loud I turn the poweramp on. Overall the weird noises are only noticeable when it's really quite. I'm still impressed with the little speakers!
Did you talk to Mirko from Red Sound or G66?
I did a chat today with Mirko from Red Sound and Jacques from G66 and they will do anything to satisfy you.
I‘m not related to any of the company but I was just curious what could be the problem.
Please contact them.
Have fun with the speakers!
Cheers Sash

Did you talk to Mirko from Red Sound or G66?
I did a chat today with Mirko from Red Sound and Jacques from G66 and they will do anything to satisfy you.
I‘m not related to any of the company but I was just curious what could be the problem.
Please contact them.
Have fun with the speakers!
Cheers Sash
I wrote Jacques an email yesteday refering to this thread and also attachaing him an audio file. If he gets back to me and if there are any news I'll let you guys now.

Again: I really enjoy the Elis.8 and prefer them to my current Atomic CLRs. The decrease in weight is another advantage besides the sound. :)

I just received an answer vom Jacques: there is actually a problem with some Elis.8 FRFRs and they were able to track the problem down - and resolve it. The weird noises can be eliminated by swapping out the preamp. As the preamp just needs to be plugged in, Jacques will send me a new one and I'll do the fix on my own.

I'll report back as soon as I completed the replacement.

Best

Joe

I just received an answer vom Jacques: there is actually a problem with some Elis.8 FRFRs and they were able to track the problem down - and resolve it. The weird noises can be eliminated by swapping out the preamp. As the preamp just needs to be plugged in, Jacques will send me a new one and I'll do the fix on my own.

Best

Joe
Perfect, sounds great!

Hi guys,

I hope you are all good. Just checking something with you all. I finally had my first gig over the weekend after 18 month of not playing. I had my FM3 and one MF10 in mono connected to out 2 L on the FM3.

I was just curious those that have started gigging again where about do you have your FM3's out level set when monitoring yourself with the MF10 or Elis 8? I had mine set to about 12 o clock and was struggling a little to hear some of my presets especially my clean tones. Only on some presets.

I've been in contact with Mirko about this and he reckons just turn up out 2 a little more to compensate. And bring my distorted tones down a little in the amp block if need be.

I did have my MF10 on an amp stand and it was off the floor so it could because I'm losing a lot of low frequencies. Everything is pretty much levelled though in FM3 edit with the preset levelling window. I've ordered a couple of Tilt cab stands from Mirko just so my MF10 is on the floor and tilted back so I can hear it. I'd really like to use both my MF10's if I'm honest but there not always room for them. Maybe I'll give my Elis 8's a go next time and see how they sound.

Overall though sounded really good thru the PA and the MF10. Firmware 4.00 no problems at all. I should probably add we were outside as well so sound is just escaping in every direction I suppose.

Anyway just curious see everyone's approach to using the MF10's or Elis 8's in a gig situation.

Cheers

Paul

No problems here with Elis 8 or MF in gig or rehearsal situations. Even the Elis 8 are powerful enough to keep up with our loud drummer and our other guitarist using a 4x12 Orange with a 100 Watt Rockverb top or his Mesa 4x12 with his Rectifier.
I have to say I use always one active and one passive in a stereo setup.

No problems here with Elis 8 or MF in gig or rehearsal situations. Even the Elis 8 are powerful enough to keep up with our loud drummer and our other guitarist using a 4x12 Orange with a 100 Watt Rockverb top or his Mesa 4x12 with his Rectifier.
I have to say I use always one active and one passive in a stereo setup.
I think that might be the answer Sash to use them in stereo. I think I'll try my Elis 8s next time when I go to rehearsal. Where do you have your out level set on the FM3 or the Axe just out of interest? About half way or louder? I guess it really depends on the room itself. I find I have to turn up the output knob up enough so that my clean sounds cut through and then my other mid to heavy gain sounds I adjust to that usually.

I think that might be the answer Sash to use them in stereo. I think I'll try my Elis 8s next time when I go to rehearsal. Where do you have your out level set on the FM3 or the Axe just out of interest? About half way or louder? I guess it really depends on the room itself. I find I have to turn up the output knob up enough so that my clean sounds cut through and then my other mid to heavy gain sounds I adjust to that usually.
Yes it depends on the room but I think around half way, yes.
i have to say that I’m moving around a lot, I can’t stand still during rehearsals or on stage.

Yes it depends on the room but I think around half way, yes.
i have to say that I’m moving around a lot, I can’t stand still during rehearsals or on stage.
Thanks Sash, I checked out a few of my presets and some were definitely not levelled correctly. in fact some of my clean, heavier and mid gain tones were set quite high and going into the red on the preset levelling meter quite a lot. I'm not sure how that happened. Probably me not checking them since Cygnus has been released.

I'll try again next rehearsal and just make sure my clean sound is cutting through enough when playing with the full band and my output knob is set high enough.

I had to level all my presets too and sometimes there are some presets that I did not save or whatever. So this is not new for me :tearsofjoy:

My MF10s do make a slight clicking/whirring noise when idling, which is only really noticeable if it is dead quiet in the room and you get close up to the speaker, and is no worse than any other active speaker I’ve had. In normal use, it’s not noticeable at all. For example, my CLRs (I’ve had 4 in total over the years) all produced a VERY noticeable hiss when idling, and that was definitely louder than the idling noise of the MF10s and my Presonus studio monitors emit a slight hum, again more noticeable than the noise from the MF10. I’ve never considered it an issue, as it doesn’t increase with volume and they work great - it’s just a faint noise when my room is dead quiet. But if you’re finding your speaker making some noise that is abnormally loud when idling, then its definitely worth getting in touch with G66 and I’m sure they’ll help.
Only posting this to go on record as benchmark info. I use one Elis.8. It is dead silent when idling. Zero hum. FYI, I’m powering it through a Furman power conditioner. US 110 voltage.

Are you (and the rest of you) running your fxiii at -10db or +4db output?

Best

Joe
Hi Joe,

I have the same issue. It's really only noticeable with active pickups, but 3 of my guitars have active pups! Did you swap out the preamp yet? Did it fix the problem?

Cheers,

James

Hi Joe,

I have the same issue. It's really only noticeable with active pickups, but 3 of my guitars have active pups! Did you swap out the preamp yet? Did it fix the problem?

Cheers,

James
The noise that we described is an idle noise. It's there all the time, so what pickups etc you have doesn't matter with that particular issue. If you have some noise when playing, and it depends on what you put through the speaker, then you have another, separate issue.

I’ve had a couple months with the Elis.8. Posting this opinion for posterity as I know you guys know this already. This thing is 2 completely different animals depending on volume. Not a negative as I’m very happy with it. But if your purpose is bedroom playing only with volume at a conversational level, I would recommend frfr monitors instead. Not that you can’t play it on low, but you just aren’t going to hear what this is built for. The difference is dramatic. It doesn’t have to be ear splitting for it to come alive - so I guess it’s somewhat subjective - but as an example, if I have the fx3 global output set to -10db and set the output 1 knob on the fx3 at around 12:00, I have an iPhone dB meter app that reads those settings to be about 70dB which for me is roughly the minimum level for it to begin to “come alive”. My 2 cents.

Hi Joe,

Cheers,

James
Hi James,

I did not receive the replacement yet. I'll get in touch with Jacques today and ask him when it will arrive. Best! Johannes

UPDATE ON NOISY PREAMP

I just received my replacement preamp by G66. The swap was really plug and play: removing a couple of screws and replacing the old one with the new unit. No soldering needed.

Results: My Elis.8 are now dead quiet! Mission accomplished! 👍👍👍

Back
Top Bottom