Red Sound Elis8 FRFR Review and MF 10 Comparision

I did a short test today on rehearsal volume and I can say that the Elis 8 are dead quiet even on full volume, no hiss or hum etc. I‘m again very impressed 👍🏻

I can't get over how loud they are. They have a punch to them that makes them cut through. Can't wait to start using them live that's for sure.

I forgot to say Sash my L3 turned up last week. You were right! I love it I can't stop playing!

IMG_0853.jpeg

Hi folks,

this is my review of the new Elis8 Speakers by Red Sound.
Since I'm a Axe Fx user, I started with the I and I had nearly ever unit and on Facebook and here, allwas FRFR speakers came up and everyone is on the search to what could fit best, so maybe this is intersting for everyone who hasn't find the right solution yet.
First I have to say that I'm not related or payed by any of the companies. I bought and payed of course the speakers by myself.
This review is my honest opinion, please keep in mind that sound always is subjective and I do not want to bother anyone or any other company etc.
And I waited until the honymoon was over to keep my review as neutral as possible.

oh and please, I'm german, so english is not my native language but I will do my best ;-)

Let's start first withe the backstory.
When I'm ordering my Axe Fx III I did ask Jacques from G66 which FRFR speaker solution he would reccommend to me.
I had the Axe I and II before and also the Atomic Reactor Wedges.
Jacques answered that if I could hold on, he maybe will have something that I would really like.
He told me that there are a new FRFR speaker solution is comming in, which he really likes and that they not only sound great, they are also handmade in Italy and Marco Fanton (Ciao Marco) had an impact on the developmend because he have a signature speaker too.
Jacques also said that he can send me a Elis 8 and/or Mf10 for testing.
But I first trusted in Jacques, he has never dissapoint me and the G66 Support is stellar and second, I'm a father since december and my little daughter needs all my attention.
So that was late december...

in the meantime I grabed my Axe III and visited many many friends and musicians (as long as I could because of the pandemic) and all of them doin music for over 25 years. And many of them are also Fractal users, I tested the Axe III over P.A Systems, FRFR Speakers, studio monitors etc. etc.
I'm a studio and live musician by myself for over 25 years, so I think that I have some experience when it comes to sound.

And now the speakers
I did order the stereo bundle of the Elis 8, so there is one active (right) and one passive (left) cabinet.
The active cab has a stereo amp built in and powers also the passive cab.
The cabinets are fited with a custom made 8 inch ceramic coaxial speaker by sica
The 2 way power amp has nominal180 and maximal 360 w
They are super light weight and from what I can say now, the finish seems very durable.
The left cabinet can be connected via Speakon or TRS cable
the Axe can be connected via XLR or TRS
you can use the speaker straight or tilt back

What are so special about them? in my personal opinion!
I tested many many speakers over the last years but honestly I have to say that they are stellar!!!
You would never ever expect that a 8 inch speaker can have that amount of punch and can produce that kind of huge pressure.
They have really smooth and silky highs (most speakers that I have tested are ice picky etc.) and the 8 inch produces a big but very tight bass.
This is something I complain about most 12 Inch FRFR Speakers, they produce a big sound no doubt but in comparrison or band context, they are not in the middle they are everywhere and this is when the Elis 8 comes in. They sit perfectly in the mix, they fill out the middle section of a sound/room exactly where a guitarist would put a guitar in the mix.

Second thing is, there are many many presets in the Axe III I didn' care before but now...holy moly they are all blooming up and I'm discovering the whole unit new, I play presets that I never liked. They don't need any tweeking or at least just a small tweek at the amp EQ and they sound glorious.
The stereo image is imense and I have no daubt that these are fully stage usable, even with loud drums and bass.
I imidiately tried the Deluxe Reverb, AC 30 (we have a original from the sixties in the studio) Bandmaster and Matchless 30 and I'm just speachless.
The Plexi models sound so dynamic, raw and juicy.

Honestly for everyone who is in the mood of a good FRFR speaker or has't find the right solution yet, please do yourself a favor and check them out if possible.

Meanwhile I contacted Mirko Cascio Gioia (founder and CEO of Red Sound) because I just want knwo if I had to a speaker break in period etc. or anything else for I should looking for.
Mirko anwsered diretly that I have only one thing to do because h do test ever single speaker by himself for 10 to 20 minutes, I should just plug them, crank them up and rock them hard \m/

Thanks to Jacques, G66 and Mirko for outstanding support!
And of course Marco Fanton for input and experince on them, thank you!

Cheers
SashView attachment 78916

Edit:
After testing the speakers on full volume I‘m excited that there is absolutely no noise, no hiss or hum etc.
That did impressed me even more.
Very very useful review. Helped me decide and I’m on the waitlist now. Thank you,

Those are enticingly sized....

Oh yes, I really hope I get to use the stereo pair live when we all go back to gigging. Sometimes there's isn't a lot of space at some gigs but using a Boogie head, cab and big pedalboard took up so much room compared to the Elis 8's FM3 or Axe III.

I hope you guys in the US get to try them you'll be blown away! Paid for my MF10 bundle this evening. They should be turning up this week at some point possibly early next week. I think I might get some noise complaints but I don't care! lol

Hi folks,

this is my review of the new Elis8 Speakers by Red Sound.
Since I'm a Axe Fx user, I started with the I and I had nearly ever unit and on Facebook and here, allwas FRFR speakers came up and everyone is on the search to what could fit best, so maybe this is intersting for everyone who hasn't find the right solution yet.
First I have to say that I'm not related or payed by any of the companies. I bought and payed of course the speakers by myself.
This review is my honest opinion, please keep in mind that sound always is subjective and I do not want to bother anyone or any other company etc.
And I waited until the honymoon was over to keep my review as neutral as possible.

oh and please, I'm german, so english is not my native language but I will do my best ;-)

Let's start first withe the backstory.
When I'm ordering my Axe Fx III I did ask Jacques from G66 which FRFR speaker solution he would reccommend to me.
I had the Axe I and II before and also the Atomic Reactor Wedges.
Jacques answered that if I could hold on, he maybe will have something that I would really like.
He told me that there are a new FRFR speaker solution is comming in, which he really likes and that they not only sound great, they are also handmade in Italy and Marco Fanton (Ciao Marco) had an impact on the developmend because he have a signature speaker too.
Jacques also said that he can send me a Elis 8 and/or Mf10 for testing.
But I first trusted in Jacques, he has never dissapoint me and the G66 Support is stellar and second, I'm a father since december and my little daughter needs all my attention.
So that was late december...

in the meantime I grabed my Axe III and visited many many friends and musicians (as long as I could because of the pandemic) and all of them doin music for over 25 years. And many of them are also Fractal users, I tested the Axe III over P.A Systems, FRFR Speakers, studio monitors etc. etc.
I'm a studio and live musician by myself for over 25 years, so I think that I have some experience when it comes to sound.

And now the speakers
I did order the stereo bundle of the Elis 8, so there is one active (right) and one passive (left) cabinet.
The active cab has a stereo amp built in and powers also the passive cab.
The cabinets are fited with a custom made 8 inch ceramic coaxial speaker by sica
The 2 way power amp has nominal180 and maximal 360 w
They are super light weight and from what I can say now, the finish seems very durable.
The left cabinet can be connected via Speakon or TRS cable
the Axe can be connected via XLR or TRS
you can use the speaker straight or tilt back

What are so special about them? in my personal opinion!
I tested many many speakers over the last years but honestly I have to say that they are stellar!!!
You would never ever expect that a 8 inch speaker can have that amount of punch and can produce that kind of huge pressure.
They have really smooth and silky highs (most speakers that I have tested are ice picky etc.) and the 8 inch produces a big but very tight bass.
This is something I complain about most 12 Inch FRFR Speakers, they produce a big sound no doubt but in comparrison or band context, they are not in the middle they are everywhere and this is when the Elis 8 comes in. They sit perfectly in the mix, they fill out the middle section of a sound/room exactly where a guitarist would put a guitar in the mix.

Second thing is, there are many many presets in the Axe III I didn' care before but now...holy moly they are all blooming up and I'm discovering the whole unit new, I play presets that I never liked. They don't need any tweeking or at least just a small tweek at the amp EQ and they sound glorious.
The stereo image is imense and I have no daubt that these are fully stage usable, even with loud drums and bass.
I imidiately tried the Deluxe Reverb, AC 30 (we have a original from the sixties in the studio) Bandmaster and Matchless 30 and I'm just speachless.
The Plexi models sound so dynamic, raw and juicy.

Honestly for everyone who is in the mood of a good FRFR speaker or has't find the right solution yet, please do yourself a favor and check them out if possible.

Meanwhile I contacted Mirko Cascio Gioia (founder and CEO of Red Sound) because I just want knwo if I had to a speaker break in period etc. or anything else for I should looking for.
Mirko anwsered diretly that I have only one thing to do because h do test ever single speaker by himself for 10 to 20 minutes, I should just plug them, crank them up and rock them hard \m/

Thanks to Jacques, G66 and Mirko for outstanding support!
And of course Marco Fanton for input and experince on them, thank you!

Cheers
SashView attachment 78916

Edit:
After testing the speakers on full volume I‘m excited that there is absolutely no noise, no hiss or hum etc.
That did impressed me even more.
You're right about most 12-inch speakers. 10-inch speakers are the sweet spot..

I'm kinda torn now. There is a Atomic CLR Neo MKII for sale not that far from where I live. On the other hand I'm considering the MF10. Can someone who has tried both weigh in on the differences?

I'm kinda torn now. There is a Atomic CLR Neo MKII for sale not that far from where I live. On the other hand I'm considering the MF10. Can someone who has tried both weigh in on the differences?
I can, I tried both but I‘m not objective because I clearly prefer the MF10.
I wrote in my review that the CLR is a really good speaker but in a direct comparison with the MF10/Elis8, the CLR sound boomy with pronounced bass and mids.
Or with other words, when I‘m building a preset in the AxE3 for my Elis8 or MF10 I don’t need any EQ etc. at all, almost every amp sounds great with stock settings.
But maybe @Paulg2uk can chime in and tell about his experience with building a Preset.

Sounds strange though. Everything I've heard about the CLR is that it is really close to reference quality. The MF10's are described (by G66), as voiced for guitar. I.e less flat in it's response.

But real life experiences matter more, for sure!

I can, I tried both but I‘m not objective because I clearly prefer the MF10.
I wrote in my review that the CLR is a really good speaker but in a direct comparison with the MF10/Elis8, the CLR sound boomy with pronounced bass and mids.
Or with other words, when I‘m building a preset in the AxE3 for my Elis8 or MF10 I don’t need any EQ etc. at all, almost every amp sounds great with stock settings.
But maybe @Paulg2uk can chime in and tell about his experience with building a Preset.

I've unfortunately never owned a CLR so I would'nt know what the differences are between them. But as Sash said when going from my studio monitors to the Elis 8's there is hardly any tweaking that needs doing sometimes none at all. The Red Sound's definitely translate very well.

My bundle has and is sitting in Singapore for the past 3 days, on their way to Australia. TNT still says delivery by 6pm Friday hahaha I find that difficult to believe. Oh well, they will get here when the do, and not a minute sooner, as my partner says.

I had two different versions of the CLR, and couldn't get along with them. They did not sound like my studio monitors to me. If you put a fair amount of distance between you and them, they started to sound better, but not as good as a really good PA speaker anyway.

I like my EV PXM-12MP's, and they're light and loud. But I'd love to try a pair of these little 8" speakers.

I had two different versions of the CLR, and couldn't get along with them. They did not sound like my studio monitors to me. If you put a fair amount of distance between you and them, they started to sound better, but not as good as a really good PA speaker anyway.

I like my EV PXM-12MP's, and they're light and loud. But I'd love to try a pair of these little 8" speakers.
I have a pair of Yamaha DZR 10's that I use in the rehearsal room, which the whole band plays through. They sound great, and are also good on the floor as a monitor if needed. I do miss having something on the floor moving air and giving me that punch though. Tried several different "FRFR cabs" but none of them have really delivered. These new Redsound cabs look promising, but I'm holding off on them for now. There's always a few people excited about a new product in the beginning, so I'm going to wait until I hear more reviews and experiences. I got tricked by forum hype into buying a Line 6 Powercab sight unseen a couple years ago, and that thing sucks hairy donkey balls in my opinion :)

I have a pair of Yamaha DZR 10's that I use in the rehearsal room, which the whole band plays through. They sound great, and are also good on the floor as a monitor if needed. I do miss having something on the floor moving air and giving me that punch though. Tried several different "FRFR cabs" but none of them have really delivered. These new Redsound cabs look promising, but I'm holding off on them for now. There's always a few people excited about a new product in the beginning, so I'm going to wait until I hear more reviews and experiences. I got tricked by forum hype into buying a Line 6 Powercab sight unseen a couple years ago, and that thing sucks hairy donkey balls in my opinion :)
This is the way to go👍🏻
As I wrote, I’m excited and not subjective enough but I‘m doing music for more that 25 years as a payed studio and live musician.
I‘m a Axe user since the first Axe came out but I always went back to real amp with cab because I never found a FRFR solution that I‘m happy with.
Since now, I sold my Friedman BE 100 Deluxe with matching cab and all my other Tube Gear.
And you are absolutely right about hype etc. I bought the first Atomic Reactor Wedges when they came out and they never convinced me.
Wait for some more user reviews etc.
Sorry Buddy that we are not in the same area, I would send you my pair for testing.

Have a nice and loud Cygnus weekend 🤘🏻
Sash

This is the way to go👍🏻
As I wrote, I’m excited and not subjective enough but I‘m doing music for more that 25 years as a payed studio and live musician.
I‘m a Axe user since the first Axe came out but I always went back to real amp with cab because I never found a FRFR solution that I‘m happy with.
Since now, I sold my Friedman BE 100 Deluxe with matching cab and all my other Tube Gear.
And you are absolutely right about hype etc. I bought the first Atomic Reactor Wedges when they came out and they never convinced me.
Wait for some more user reviews etc.
Sorry Buddy that we are not in the same area, I would send you my pair for testing.

Have a nice and loud Cygnus weekend 🤘🏻
Sash
I bought a used CLR Neo MkII for now, so I’ll see how I get along with that. I needed a new stage monitor anyway.

Rock on brother, have a nice weekend too!

I bought a used CLR Neo MkII for now, so I’ll see how I get along with that. I needed a new stage monitor anyway.

Rock on brother, have a nice weekend too!
CLR‘s are Good👍🏻
A bit to boomy for my taste and they can get some ice picky highs but that’s only personal preferences.
Rock on 🤘🏻

Man those G66 things are UGLY! Looks like those old Roland or galaxy monitor’s we used to use back in the 90s. That huge logo on the top does it no favors either.
Maybe they can be removed? I agree with you, that's not a pretty logo for a product. I like discreet logos for speakers.

The whole grill is attached with Velcro an removable. I will check if the logo can be removed easily without damaging anything.
They are handmade in Italy and I think that it shouldn‘t be a problem to order them without a logo.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom