Red Sound Elis8 FRFR Review and MF 10 Comparision

Is there ever a time when a pair of mf10s would be too much speaker for the space? Like a home studio about 300 sq ft?
Yes!
Those are not Studio Monitors, those are made for live use and rehearsal etc.
Of course you can use them at home and playing them with bedroom volume but a pair of studio monitors would be a better choice.
The Red Sound do like volume and them really bloom and shine on higher volume.

Yes, Sukh did a nice job.

@Marco Fanton has most likely compared them repeatedly. There’s no point comparing the active MF-10 to the passive one since the only difference is one has the power amplifier in it.

@ZenRigs Man can probably set up a comparison.

I have compared the two, but haven't made a video I'm afraid. I only compared them as a stereo pair, as that's how I am using the MF10's. Here's what I thought though:

• The ELIS8 are wonderfully sized - so compact and easy to get in my completely impractical car for gigs. Very light too.
  • The ELIS8 are surprisingly loud for their size - plenty of volume and a surprising amount of punch from such a small enclosure. The MF10s definitely have more weight to the sound, but that's to be expected due to the bigger cab and speaker.
  • The feature I really loved about the ELIS8 was the tilt-back feature, so you can easily use them to monitor your tone rather than have everything blasting at your ankles. It made it much easier to work out tones to translate for a PA and also really shows their clarity. It would be awesome if the MF10's could do this too.
  • As with the MF10 (in fact, as for ANY speaker, as I said in the MF10 review video), you'll need to adjust EQ depending on your room and volume you're playing at. They do sound great at low volume (as do the MF10s) with appropriate EQ but (again, like the MF10s) they really come alive when you play them at volume.
  • If you want to gig and use something as a backline without going into a PA, I would personally choose the MF10 stereo pair (even if you run them mono) as you'll have plenty of volume available for most situations, unless you're in a massive room in which case you'll be going through a PA anyway. For home use or smaller venues, I'd be happy with either ELIS8 or MF10 in stereo - the sound quality of both is great. It comes down to personal preference as to whether you want smaller and with the tilt design of the ELIS8, or more weighty sound from the MF10's. Unless you're regularly playing loud at home though, the ELIS8 is perfectly fine.
So a bit noncommittal, but it really will come down to intended use case and personal preference. They're rock solid though - I actually have 2 sets of MF10's as I got one as a backup set when I realised how much I love them (after some 'fun and games' with the CLR's I had before in terms of reliability) - but will end up selling a pair as I've had no issues with them whatsoever.

Hope that helps!

Yes that's what it's called. Indirectly putting my speakers further apart cause the distance between pickups and tweeter to be increased thereby reducing squeal. But your right the reason is not because the speakers are far apart , its the pups to the tweeter. Thanks for clearing that up!
How big is the room your are playing in? Did you do any room treatment?

The Elis 8 are definitely made for louder volumes, they really shine if you use try them louder than bedroom volumes.
I love the punch that they have as well, playing them in band against a 100 Watt Orange Rockverb and a 4x12 cab is so much fun!
You telling me the ELis8's at 10 are louder than an AC30 cranked?

But he said he used it in a BAND context against a 100 watt Orange Rockverb. Is the Orange Rockverb cranked louder than a cranked AC30?

He said the Elis 8's vol 9 I believe competed with the sound of the band in concert hall / bar etc where there must of been 500 people in attendance. I can't recall if he mentioned it in this thread but the OP did mention that.

I am just curious if you guys could rate the Elis 8 frfr in terms of watts how much would that be?

You telling me the ELis8's at 10 are louder than an AC30 cranked?
I play my Elis8 in a band together with an Orange rockverb 100. And I also have owned an original AC30 from the 60‘s.
I would never crank a 100 Watt Amp in rehearsals etc. I’m playing in a band! That means there are (in my case) five people who have to communicate etc.
You don’t need a 100 Watt Amp.
And yes we are playing Rock Music.

And I never wrote that the Elis is louder than a cranked AC30.

I can’t rate that in Watt, only thing I can say is that they are loud enough in a band context.

My Blueamps Cubo by the way are louder an even punchier than the Elis.

I play my Elis8 in a band together with an Orange rockverb 100. And I also have owned an original AC30 from the 60‘s.
I would never crank a 100 Watt Amp in rehearsals etc. I’m playing in a band! That means there are (in my case) five people who have to communicate etc.
You don’t need a 100 Watt Amp.
And yes we are playing Rock Music.

And I never wrote that the Elis is louder than a cranked AC30.

I can’t rate that in Watt, only thing I can say is that they are loud enough in a band context.

My Blueamps Cubo by the way are louder an even punchier than the Elis.
prefer to use the ELIS8 rather than the CUBO in repetition ?

prefer to use the ELIS8 rather than the CUBO in repetition ?
No, to be honest the Cubo beats the Elis in near every single point.

The Elis has two benefits that the Cubo doesn’t have.
You can tilt back the Elis and you can power a passive Elis with an active one.
In every other point the Cubo is way beyond.

No, to be honest the Cubo beats the Elis in near every single point.

The Elis has two benefits that the Cubo doesn’t have.
You can tilt back the Elis and you can power a passive Elis with an active one.
In every other point the Cubo is way beyond.
To manage the problem of the tilt and height of the CUBO, I use an amp stand that tilts the CUBO, I can also slide a small object under the amp to tilt the amp. The ELIS8 still has the advantage of being able to move the 2 CABs apart for wider stereo, the CUBO due to its design cannot offer this.
I got a pair of ELIS8 and also a pair of LG12SE Redsound

To manage the problem of the tilt and height of the CUBO, I use an amp stand that tilts the CUBO, I can also slide a small object under the amp to tilt the amp. The ELIS8 still has the advantage of being able to move the 2 CABs apart for wider stereo, the CUBO due to its design cannot offer this.
I got a pair of ELIS8 and also a pair of LG12SE Redsound
I have two Cubos and I do use them in stereo.
And I also have the opportunity to stack them if needed.
Yes, a tilt back stand is a solution and I also have two of them.
I just want to show the pros and cons of the Cubo vs. Elis.
For me, personally there are no cons for the Cubo but other may have a different sight.
It all depends what you need.
I also had a pair of RedSound MF10 but I still prefer the Cubo.

I have two Cubos and I do use them in stereo.
And I also have the opportunity to stack them if needed.
Yes, a tilt back stand is a solution and I also have two of them.
I just want to show the pros and cons of the Cubo vs. Elis.
For me, personally there are no cons for the Cubo but other may have a different sight.
It all depends what you need.
I also had a pair of RedSound MF10 but I still prefer the Cubo.
2 CUBOs! This is the right option, but it's already a good budget.....

Back
Top Bottom