Red Hot Chili Peppers - Scar Tissue

Terrific job! No one replied so I'll step out of years of lurkerdom to congratulate you on great playing and an extremely accurate preset :).

Is this a single amp? The top end is clear and relatively thin but there is a big, pushed bass layer. That makes me wonder if there are two amps in the intro riff.

The treble + bass layered approach reminds me of the "I could have lied" Live at Saturn tone in Hamburg 2002. That was a great performance (you can find the video on YouTube). The layered tone isn't as pronounced as the Scar Tissue tone, but it's similar.

Which amp model(s) are you using? I've been through the Brit Silver and 1987x, now I'm using the Plexi 100w 1970 for John Frusciante tone with 4x12 Greenback IRs.

Thanks!

Terrific job! No one replied so I'll step out of years of lurkerdom to congratulate you on great playing and an extremely accurate preset :).

Is this a single amp? The top end is clear and relatively thin but there is a big, pushed bass layer. That makes me wonder if there are two amps in the intro riff.

The treble + bass layered approach reminds me of the "I could have lied" Live at Saturn tone in Hamburg 2002. That was a great performance (you can find the video on YouTube). The layered tone isn't as pronounced as the Scar Tissue tone, but it's similar.

Which amp model(s) are you using? I've been through the Brit Silver and 1987x, now I'm using the Plexi 100w 1970 for John Frusciante tone with 4x12 Greenback IRs.

Thanks!

I'm a bit late, but hopefully you'll see my response.

I used the Double Verb Vibrato Channel for rhythm and the Supremo Trem model for the solos. I had to tone match the rhythm guitar because I was using a slightly unusual guitar for a classical Frusciante tone. Frusciante uses Seymour Duncan SSL-1, as far as I know, and my pickup, the DiMarzio Area 67, is dissimilar to it. I'm still not satisfied with the tone, but it's the best I was able to achieve. The correct top end response is just so hard to replicate and competing against a vintage Fender, that has all the mojo in the world, makes the matters even worse...

The solo patch features 2 scenes. You could try the first scene, that was used for solo 1 and 2, as your rhythm patch, too. Maybe it fits your guitar. The second scene is reserved for the outro solo. I basically cranked the Supremo Trem up a bit and added the Hard Fuzz to hit the front end even harder.

I used single amps throughout the whole song. When you hear the solo it's just one amp and the same applies to the rhythm. To fatten up the rhythm and solo guitars, I had to resort to the Klanghelm MJUC compressor MK I (it costs next to nothing and it's a very nice plugin). I tried 1176 and LA2A plugins, too, but the MJUC was the most suitable for this particular task. This plugin really makes the guitar fit into the song. Without it, it's just not thick enough.

Anyway, the patches (XL version, Q8.02) are below..

Attachments

• Scar Tissue Rhythm.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 89
  • Scar Tissue Solo.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 67
Interesting approach @SlammingMofo, thanks for explaining. I'm surprised you used Fender Twin and Supro amps but the result is good.

The Hard Fuzz is also interesting. I know Frusciante uses a Big Muff Pi a lot but I've settled on the FET Preamp for its warmth.

Thanks for the response!

Thanks for the positive feedback, guys!

Interesting approach @SlammingMofo, thanks for explaining. I'm surprised you used Fender Twin and Supro amps but the result is good.

The Hard Fuzz is also interesting. I know Frusciante uses a Big Muff Pi a lot but I've settled on the FET Preamp for its warmth.

Thanks for the response!

I experimented with Plexi and Silver Jubilee models but they just didn't cut it. Then I read that he actually had a Fender Silverface Dual Showman that he used for clean sounds and the closest model to the Dual Showman that we have in the Axe is the Double Verb (Twin Reverb). The Supro, however, was indeed an odd choice. The choice was more accidental than anything.

The toughest part to nail is the speaker choice. I know that he uses a 4x12 with Greenbacks in it, but I have no idea what and how many mics he has used. I tried many Greenback IRs to no avail, so there must be some studio magic involved...

I'm a bit late, but hopefully you'll see my response.

I used the Double Verb Vibrato Channel for rhythm and the Supremo Trem model for the solos. I had to tone match the rhythm guitar because I was using a slightly unusual guitar for a classical Frusciante tone. Frusciante uses Seymour Duncan SSL-1, as far as I know, and my pickup, the DiMarzio Area 67, is dissimilar to it. I'm still not satisfied with the tone, but it's the best I was able to achieve. The correct top end response is just so hard to replicate and competing against a vintage Fender, that has all the mojo in the world, makes the matters even worse...

The solo patch features 2 scenes. You could try the first scene, that was used for solo 1 and 2, as your rhythm patch, too. Maybe it fits your guitar. The second scene is reserved for the outro solo. I basically cranked the Supremo Trem up a bit and added the Hard Fuzz to hit the front end even harder.

I used single amps throughout the whole song. When you hear the solo it's just one amp and the same applies to the rhythm. To fatten up the rhythm and solo guitars, I had to resort to the Klanghelm MJUC compressor MK I (it costs next to nothing and it's a very nice plugin). I tried 1176 and LA2A plugins, too, but the MJUC was the most suitable for this particular task. This plugin really makes the guitar fit into the song. Without it, it's just not thick enough.

Anyway, the patches (XL version, Q8.02) are below..

Interesting stuff. Did you try the optical compressor block after cab block to emulate the compressors? It should be similar.

What's the user cab used in this preset ?

The user cab is actually a tone match block. I've exported and uploaded the IR from the tone match block, but keep in mind that my guitar has a DiMarzio Area 67 pickup in the neck position. It has a very distinct and bright sound so you might find the attached IR useless.

Interesting stuff. Did you try the optical compressor block after cab block to emulate the compressors? It should be similar.

I could've used the optical compressor inside the Axe FX II, but I usually like to add any effects in my DAW so that I can judge the tonal changes in the context of a mix.

If this was playing on the Radio (remember Radios?) then I wouldn't batter and eyelid and would think it was the original.

Thanks! I got it even closer but I had to alter it to be able to circumvent the soundcloud upload restrictions. Initially, I EQ'd some of the bottom end out of the rhythm and solo guitars and the solo guitars were also a tad bit quieter in the mix.

Attachments

• ScarTissueToneMatch.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 27
Back
Top Bottom