Red Bear Picks?

Have used, do like them.
But depending on what I am doing I use different gauges. So I could go broke real fast if I was to use all Red Bear.
Putting that aside what turned me off to them was the time it took to get a order.
Last time took 5 months, 3 months average.

John
It takes 3-5 months to buy a $75 guitar pick?
I'm in the wrong business

I've just ordered one… never tried one before so I'm looking forward to it greatly..
right now I mostly use Dunlop 3.0mm Big Stubbies and it takes quite a while to destroy them..
however, my faves are the Timber Tone picks that are made from Buffalo Horn..
they sound and feel absolutely wonderful.. the prob though is that they wear far too quickly..

I'm currently using Dragon's Heart GTs. I bought a pack of three, and while I like the sound and feel of the pick, I find them a bit small and I sometimes lose the grip. Wear looks excellent so far, so that's a plus, and they are $24 for a pack of three.

I know the Red Bear picks are certainly expensive but they are awesome - I will have to check out some other ones suggested in this thread. I love noodling around with new toyZ!

The one suggestion I would make when placing an order is that make sure you really know which pick you thick you will like before hand.
http://redbeartrading.com/images/dimensions4web.jpg
I liked the Lil Jazzer but I bought one of the larger Jazz picks as I was not paying enough attention to the ordering template. I ordered the Big Jazzer Plus H that was ultimately too thick and large for my taste. It's just too thick to compliment the dunlop jazz picks I use most of the time. I have one for sale if anyone is interested, since I have hardly used it due to my lack of detail when ordering. Otherwise the quality is superb.

Red Bears are da bomb! I've been playing them for 4 years now. They average about a year for me, and I used to need a new pick every 2 days or so. That adds up quickly with Jazz IIIs, or anything else...

Like someone else mentioned earlier, the tone is amazing, and the difference is instantly heard, but more importantly, the feel is the biggest difference. The way Red Bears leave the string (glide off), is a world of a difference compared to anything else that I've tried.

BTW, the way they are sold now, is there's no waiting list, but the store is only open on Fridays for a few hours, so if you really want one, snatch it up, and you'll have it within a week.

Worth every penny!

Odd man out here...I've used stainless steel picks for my electric guitars for decades. They start the same size as a standard Dunlop pick, but I grind a bit off the corners and polish the edge all the way around. Last time I bought any was about 15+ years ago, and I bought a couple dozen. I think they were about $1.50 each, if memory serves. They never wear out and I've only lost two or three since then.

Steel%20Pick%201%20-%20800.jpg

Odd man out here...I've used stainless steel picks for my electric guitars for decades. They start the same size as a standard Dunlop pick, but I grind a bit off the corners and polish the edge all the way around. Last time I bought any was about 15+ years ago, and I bought a couple dozen. I think they were about $1.50 each, if memory serves. They never wear out and I've only lost two or three since then.

Steel%20Pick%201%20-%20800.jpg
If I liked that kind of sound I'd be right there with you. I wonder if I could make a thicker one so it's less "ping"y... Hmmm.

I have a few I bought a few years ago.

Tonally they are very good. Not a 'I can't play without them' good, but I don't feel like I wasted my money. After one broke after a year or so, I asked them about pick life. They suggested soaking them in some kind of cooking oil occasionally. The others haven't broken (yet.) Since mine seem to skew to a darker tone, I use them with bright guitars like my Tele and when I remember my Acoustic.

And for someone who loses picks about every 6 seconds, I found that these manage to hang around since I paid a premium for them.

Would I buy them again? Probably not. I find I get along just fine with good old Fender Heavy (and it just might be in my head, but for some reason the purple celluloid sound better and have a better feel than the standard brown, but like I said, might be tin foil hat material.)

R

If I liked that kind of sound I'd be right there with you. I wonder if I could make a thicker one so it's less "ping"y... Hmmm.
The ones I use have no flex at all. They don't seem any more pingy to me than a typical heavy plastic pick. (My first metal pick was a US quarter, ground down into a pick shape with beveled edges to roll off the strings smoothly.)

The ones I use have no flex at all. They don't seem any more pingy to me than a typical heavy plastic pick. (My first metal pick was a US quarter, ground down into a pick shape with beveled edges to roll off the strings smoothly.)
I might have some done in stainless... :)

i did not know there's a 2.0 width in the ultex jazz iii. wow. thats really good to know. thank you.

honestly, someone should start a pick club to sell those boutique picks (esp. the ones that can ramp up production to fill a decent volume of orders.

by "pick club" i mean like netflix.

if the blue chip picks are not that good, I'd hate to waste all that money. after all its tone, grip, and playability, and few picks can satisfy all that.

So i would rather pay $10 to try it for a week and mail it back if you get my drift, and be charged the $30, $50, or $90 or whatever if the 3 requirements are met.

In the meantime i ordered the ultex jazz iii 2.0 width ones. V picks are good practice picks for MANY reasons, but when i do mixing and recording I often don't want that harmonic chirping. Its minimized by going to smaller and smaller gauges, eventually defeating the purpose if that's to have a very firm pick.

(Actually the 1.3 jazz three is pretty firm; its only when working on technique that i notice it could be thicker. 1.618 or so would be ideal.

It doesn't matter how long a pick is 'said' to last, the first pick slide you do the pick is shredded!

I've been using V-Pick Screamers for years... they cost me about $5 AUD a piece and I buy 50 at a time and probably get a couple of gigs out of one... but, because the Screamers have 3 tips i can swivel the pick to use the best side...

Also, I often sharpen them by friction burning them on gig carpet by holding them on an angle and ripping it really fast on the black carpet that nearly every stage riser has... I repeat that on each side and it allows my to get a bit more life out of them...

i always used to sharpen my picks on the carpet. for the v picks tho i would do the same, but i after i sharpen i put some "hard as nails" on them after a few uses, and set them point up in a sponge to dry. (i know, it sounds ridiculous, but it diminishes the chirp and makes them last. ) i think jazz iii's points last a long time; they also have a pretty good sound really.

eric's guitar shop had some picks made that are really good. they sound good and not too brite or warm, have the point of a jazz iii, but are thicker, and about the size of normal picks. my "fast" technique is slightly better on the fatter strings with them; jazz iiis are just a hair too thin - the vibration of fast playing on those gauges affects my hands, causing me to want to drop the jazz iiis.

i am looking for a pick like eric's. maybe dunlop has one, but their site isn't even close to acceptable for mobile o/s yet. ;)

The one suggestion I would make when placing an order is that make sure you really know which pick you thick you will like before hand.
http://redbeartrading.com/images/dimensions4web.jpg
I liked the Lil Jazzer but I bought one of the larger Jazz picks as I was not paying enough attention to the ordering template. I ordered the Big Jazzer Plus H that was ultimately too thick and large for my taste. It's just too thick to compliment the dunlop jazz picks I use most of the time. I have one for sale if anyone is interested, since I have hardly used it due to my lack of detail when ordering. Otherwise the quality is superb.
is it the one with holes?

Yep, picksAndStones.com and Obbligato are the same way. You don't know what you're missing until you try them. I used jazz-sized Dunlops for 6 years and loved them. Ignorance is bliss, but then everyone also has different preferences. For me it's night and day though. If I had to use a cheap pick, it would be a cheap jazz or large pointy pick.

You know, i am interested in possibly ordering this one:

http://www.obbligatoinc.com/blackdiamondguitarpickstandardstyle-3.aspx

But can't find the thickness listed. You know, thicker picks feel different. For those with bad wrists the thicker pick can reduce the amount of "follow through" or so the story goes. Its like using a putter or 7 iron for different shots or something.

Do u know the approximate thickness of the different black diamond picks, or where to find this on their site?

Back
Top Bottom