Recto sound, tweaking!

Guitarjon

Fractal Fanatic
I've been really digging fw10 so far.
It sound so alive, responsive and realistic!
I'm just having trouble dialing in my favorite recto-type sound with FW10 and I thought some of you might have tips.
With the previous firmware it was easy for me to dial in a great Recto modern red sound.
I really like the way the power amp compressed the sound just like a real recto would.
I'm after a sound without boost, so I don't want to put a tube screamer in front of it.
I like the new FW 10 recto a lot except for one thing wich is clearly audible in this clip:

I'm not attacking FW10 in anyway, but I could use some help dialing out the low end flub sound in between the notes.
I turned up the gain to 7.75 and the master to 3.56 because that's how I like it, how the sound starts to compress more etc.
The rest of the stock settings have't been changed and I didn't use axe edit.
With FW9 this gave me great results.
I'm guessing the new model is more like a real recto, so I get that.
Maybe anyone has tips for deep editing the amp to get rid of this sound in between the notes without losing the other great qualities that these settings give me?
I've tried changing the low cut for the pre and power amps but I don't want to lose that low end.
I'm sure there is a way to get there but I'm just not that fammiliar with all the deep functions and I get lost sometimes.
Keep on rockin'!

Bass down, depth up a bit, raise the low cut freq in advanced (amp block) to 60-80ish, raise definition to 5ish. if the low end is still flubbing lower low res in the speaker tab of the amp block. worse case put the ts808 in front drive on 0, tone on about 2-3 oclock, level up the middle.

I'm stuggling too.

That's just kinda how recto's are. Keeping the Gain and Bass low and hitting the front end with a clean boost of some sort is the easiest tried and tested method I know of to tighten the low end. I also like to run my Master quite high (5 to 6 range) as I like the power amp distortion on them and find it really helps with taming that recto fizz.

Bass down, depth up a bit, raise the low cut freq in advanced (amp block) to 60-80ish, raise definition to 5ish. if the low end is still flubbing lower low res in the speaker tab of the amp block. worse case put the ts808 in front drive on 0, tone on about 2-3 oclock, level up the middle.

I'm stuggling too.

I'll give this a try tomorrow! Thanks for the tips!

Try changing the power tubes to pentode or increasing the bias of the power tubes. This always helps me to get more headroom and range and reducing the 'compression'

If you are using the Modern modes be very careful with the MV. If you turn it up too high it will flub out really quick. If in doubt reduce the MV. Compensate with the Level control.

I've had good results de-flubbing the Recto model by treating it like a Mark. Try this - just use an amp and a cab block, and plunk away on your lowest string. Lower the bass control on the amp model until the flub goes away.

Then add a PEQ block, and add your bass back in there, around 80hz and 240hz. Scoop around 750 and then begin headbanging furiously.

I've been really digging fw10 so far.
It sound so alive, responsive and realistic!
I'm just having trouble dialing in my favorite recto-type sound with FW10 and I thought some of you might have tips.
With the previous firmware it was easy for me to dial in a great Recto modern red sound.
I really like the way the power amp compressed the sound just like a real recto would.
I'm after a sound without boost, so I don't want to put a tube screamer in front of it.
I like the new FW 10 recto a lot except for one thing wich is clearly audible in this clip:

I'm not attacking FW10 in anyway, but I could use some help dialing out the low end flub sound in between the notes.
I turned up the gain to 7.75 and the master to 3.56 because that's how I like it, how the sound starts to compress more etc.
The rest of the stock settings have't been changed and I didn't use axe edit.
With FW9 this gave me great results.
I'm guessing the new model is more like a real recto, so I get that.
Maybe anyone has tips for deep editing the amp to get rid of this sound in between the notes without losing the other great qualities that these settings give me?
I've tried changing the low cut for the pre and power amps but I don't want to lose that low end.
I'm sure there is a way to get there but I'm just not that fammiliar with all the deep functions and I get lost sometimes.
Keep on rockin'!

Could you share your preset? Perhaps a few of us could have a go at cleaning up the flub.

Then add a PEQ block, and add your bass back in there, around 80hz and 240hz. Scoop around 750 and then begin headbanging furiously.

Made me smile :D
I use the PEQ as well (between the AMP and CAB block). It's like the 5-band EQ of the Mark or the dynamic voice of the triaxis.
Serious headbanging guaranteed ;)

I use recto Red modern. To get it sound right I lowered MV to 2.0 or 1.8 and it started to work. I noticed that Orange modern has alot less low end, low res was 2.5 and red modern low res is 5.x something. So I reduced red lowres to 2.0-2.5 and then the low end is in control. After that it's pretty much all about the IR you are using...in FW9 It was impossible to get rectos work but in FW10 it works like it should.

where are you guys liking the hi cut set to

It depends wich IR you use. If hicut works like cliff said, 2.5 should be noon in real amp. I start from there usually...around 1.0-2.5 you should find best results..but if the IR is super bright you have to go for higher settings...

Thanks for all your tips!
I've tried everything and I have found a solution to the problem like stated earlier by Irotlas.
When you lower the low resonance in the SPKR tab the woofing noise goes away, try lowering it to 3.00 or 2.50.
So that's great.
None of the other things helped because I like what relatively high master volume does to the tone, I like how it makes it compressed.
And I also dig how the low end reacts to that.
I know it's far fetched but it would still be awesome if we somehow could have the fw9.02 recto in fw10 although I can understand if this isn't possible or wanted.
The fw9 recto has some really cool sounding qualities to it and eventhough it may not be as realistic it still sounds great and I would love it as an option in fw10 mode.
Anyhow, problem solved, happy shredding ;) !

Last edited:
Cool man! Lower lowres makes it more mix ready, the mount of bass is realistic when it's set to default, real rectos have always too much bass but the cool thing about axefx is that you can reduce that and still keep the same good sound. I mean you dont have the use any ts808 etc. to tighten the low end...

The Modern mode in Rectos has no negative feedback so there's a huge bass boost from the speaker impedance. Fortunately you can reduce this by reducing the LF Resonance on the Spkr tab which is something you can't do with the real amp without trying different speakers or cabinet.

The Modern mode in Rectos has no negative feedback so there's a huge bass boost from the speaker impedance. Fortunately you can reduce this by reducing the LF Resonance on the Spkr tab which is something you can't do with the real amp without trying different speakers or cabinet.

Yes Its quite awesome!

Course it is :p

Have you tried reducing the gain though? I find that I get less flub with less gain.

Back
Top Bottom