Recto sound, tweaking!

I'm sure Cliff modeled the Recto he has as accurately as possible but truth be told the FW10 Recto doesn't sound or behave like my Triple....

This is very strange. Before V10 I NEVER used the Rectos because, IMVHO, I didnt like the way they sounded (not similar to my actual triple rec). Now with V10 they sound MUCH better!

Rectos with a master vol above 5 are dangerous and will give you some flub. A master vol of 3 is a good starting point. I have worked in recording studios my entire teenage and adult life, trust me, a triple rec with the master at 7 sounds like shit miced up in a conventional way (mic close to grill).

This is very strange. Before V10 I NEVER used the Rectos because, IMVHO, I didnt like the way they sounded (not similar to my actual triple rec). Now with V10 they sound MUCH better!

Rectos with a master vol above 5 are dangerous and will give you some flub. A master vol of 3 is a good starting point. I have worked in recording studios my entire teenage and adult life, trust me, a triple rec with the master at 7 sounds like shit miced up in a conventional way (mic close to grill).

What he said. I suspect most people are setting the MV way too high, especially if using the Modern modes. In Modern mode there is no negative feedback so the power amp can flub out real quick.

What he said. I suspect most people are setting the MV way too high, especially if using the Modern modes. In Modern mode there is no negative feedback so the power amp can flub out real quick.

Yeah, I think back to when I had my 5150 head and 4x12. That's when I learned about linear taper vs. audio taper volume knobs. I'm not an engineer, but there is probably not as much of a difference in actual volume between a 100 watt amp with the master set to 4-5 vs 7. I think 70-80% of the volume is there after the knob goes past 4. SO there is a lot more dramatic and useable volume between 0 to 4, than there is from 5 to 10, per se. The differences are how the tubes are handling the wider open master volume and what it does to the tone. In this case - FLUB.

I remember seeing a photo of Eddie's head and he had his master set to 4. He probably slaved that into a power soak, or you know, in an arena, it didn't matter. If I put that thing on 4, pictures would fall off the walls and china plates would fall down in the china cabinet. But that's apparently where HE (the person Peavey was trying to please) thought the amp operated the best. It did sound magical at that setting.

If another dude attempted to operate their 5150 with the master at 7 or God forbid, at 10, and was trying to emulate EVH's tone, and assumed EVM would naturally "turn all the dials to 10" they would become frustrated, since the amp would behave completely differently at those settings.

Maybe a similar line of thinking is in play here with the Recto tone chasers. There may not be a lot of difference in volume between 4 and 7, but it radically changes how the power tubes respond, and it makes everything more flubby. The fact that we have another overall level control after the whole amp model, makes it a pointless exercise to attempt to run the model at something higher than where it sounds good, since we can bring that tone up or down in the preset after we get the tone to sound right.

But it's fun and interesting to read about the pursuits of tone chasers.

Maybe the Recto is not for you. I know it's not for everyone. You can try the other high gainers available. But first, try placing a Tubescreamer in front of the amp to tighten it a bit. You might like this since most guys do this for the real Rectifiers.

In FW9, i had it dialed in the way i liked it.
Why does it sound so different in 10, was it a completely different amp?

In FW9, i had it dialed in the way i liked it.
Why does it sound so different in 10, was it a completely different amp?

Doubtful. Its probably a combination of fixing the gain/eq tapers on the virtual knobs and the MIMIC process that is creating issues for you. Reset the amp to the default parameters and re-tweak from there.

Doubtful. Its probably a combination of fixing the gain/eq tapers on the virtual knobs and the MIMIC process that is creating issues for you. Reset the amp to the default parameters and re-tweak from there.

^
What he said. Definitely reset the amp first. Tapers had been reworked so previous settings most likely will not get you the prior sound you liked. The MIMIC process also changed a lot of things... making it more accurate to the original amp.

I have spent lots of time with it, including what you suggested. Not a huge deal, just stating that FW9 had it they way i liked...

FWIW I never could dial in the Recto an in FW10 its no different, but I WILL figure it out! The reason I chimed in though is since we're talking about changes in firmware, anyone notice the gain structures of some amps seem to be really different? For example the 5150 (which has been my main since FW6) seems to be VERY different from FW versions before AND from MY 5150's (my 1st one & then the current one I have). 7 seemed to really about have that gain right.

2nd reason I chimed in is because I saw where someone said something about dialing the FW back in the Global menu but I haven't noticed that it changes much if anything at all. Or atleast not to my ears.

Based off the triaxis but highly modified.

Interesting. FAS Modern has been one of my favorites for a long time and the Yellow Pre is a new fav. (Green is nice too, but I give the Yellow a slight edge)

It's been awhile since I've played a real Recto as a reference point, but I fall into the camp that never could get a sound I really liked out of any of the Rectos before v10. Now I'm liking it a lot more, but it's still not one of my favorites. FWIW I reset the amp completely and left the master on the default for rhythm and cranked it just over 5 for lead because I like the thickness you get for leads and the tightness of the lower master setting for rhythm.

Did you try switching the modeling in the global parameters back to V9?

I've tried this last night and either mine isn't working correctly or it sounds as it should and isn't intended to sound identical, but it definitely doesn't sound close. I even copied all the amp speaker settings and all the advanced settings in fw9, went in V10 changed the global to 9, shut off MIMIC applied all the above settings.
Maybe I'm missing something?

On a side note I like fw9 just to toy with, but really dig V10 and would only record with the newest versions.

Back
Top Bottom