Recto sound, tweaking!

Hey Cliff, How about an "FAS Recto" model. Maybe take a spare Axe ll with FW 9.02 in it and Model it using "MIMIC" and Boom! a perfect "model" of the old 9.02 recto in FW-10??

Brings up a lot of possibilities??

Hey Cliff, How about an "FAS Recto" model. Maybe take a spare Axe ll with FW 9.02 in it and Model it using "MIMIC" and Boom! a perfect "model" of the old 9.02 recto in FW-10??

Brings up a lot of possibilities??

There already is (sort of)... it's called the FAS Modern, and it kicks ass.

Is the FAS modern recto based?

EDIT: From the WIKI

No equivalent original amplifier. Based on Mesa amp

That flub is typical recto in real high volume.. In the AXII you can also get in low volume.... AND control it at any volume. Do that with a real amp in the room? HA!!

Love the V10 SW overall, but the Recto is the one model I still can't get dialed in. I've owned an original 2 CH rackmount Recto, and it's low end wasn't anywhere near as loose/sloppy as the current model, and I don't recall the newer 3 CH versions I've played being this way either - maybe they are, who knows, but if that's the case, I'd say model the original version. Last night I tried lowering the MV and the speaker impedance spike, but the only way I can get it to be useable is by upping the damping at bit, though it's still not there compared to V9.

Something I do (that I picked up from reading the tips on the forum) is put a TS808 Drive Block before the amp with the Drive dialed way down to 1 or so and the Level cranked to about 9. This gives a nice midrange throaty growl to the sound that cuts better in the mix. It also tames some of the flub.

I'm just having trouble dialing in my favorite recto-type sound with FW10

So am I.

I used to love the sound from the Recto Orange Vintage. Now I just can't get it to sound right. Trying to nail John Petrucci's solo tone from Suspended Animation with it since John used that amp channel on that album. Previous firmwares were no problem, but 10 seems to have lost some edge/gain/bite the amp used to have.

For my heavy Recto "red" patches, I've had no issues. Sounds better than previous firmware.

I was able to salvage my main high gain preset by turning down the master and raising the dynamic depth a bit. Now I need to fix my bass and piezo presets. :)

I love petruccis suspended animation sounds, but that's road king I head and way better than the new 3ch rectos that we have in axefx...still on my amps to model wishlist.

The vintage models in axefx are really hard to dial in. I had Roadster head and it was really easy to get good lead sounds on vintage mode. Maybe the problem is just the 3ch head wich is modeled...

I love petruccis suspended animation sounds, but that's road king I head and way better than the new 3ch rectos that we have in axefx...still on my amps to model wishlist.

All very good points. Yeah, Petrucci's tone on SA was great. I had a tone dialed in on previous firmware that sounded almost identical. 10 is going to take more time. I'm sure I'll get there eventually.

All very good points. Yeah, Petrucci's tone on SA was great. I had a tone dialed in on previous firmware that sounded almost identical. 10 is going to take more time. I'm sure I'll get there eventually.

If in the end it's a matter of EQ/timbre, which would point to the cab/IR, there's also tonematch as an option.

I think recto is gone forever in our beloved AxeFX. Cliff is not a high gain player, he has a real "recto", he modeled that particular one, so that's it.
Some tips though for Modern Rectos: don't go below 1 with HiCut, raise definition, raise LowCut (compensate it with raising the gain), stay below 5 with "bass", stay low with "Depth", go above 5~7 with "treble", go as low as you can with "middle" without vanishing in the mix, lower "low res"(3~5), raise low freq in speaker tab (110-ish), MIMIC Off, triode hardness low, power supply DC, "master " below 5.
These were the things that got me near (not close, just near) FW9 but with more tube-like sound, more clarity. All the tips are referring to AxeFX -> real amp (SS) -> real cab.
Don't even try to get FW1~9 sound of rectos, they are gone!

I've had good results de-flubbing the Recto model by treating it like a Mark. Try this - just use an amp and a cab block, and plunk away on your lowest string. Lower the bass control on the amp model until the flub goes away.

Then add a PEQ block, and add your bass back in there, around 80hz and 240hz. Scoop around 750 and then begin headbanging furiously.

PEQ where? Post can?

I can't get a great Recto sound on 10 either....it just doesn't sound right no matter what I do. I've spent hours with it....

I can't get a great Recto sound on 10 either....it just doesn't sound right no matter what I do. I've spent hours with it....

Maybe the Recto is not for you. I know it's not for everyone. You can try the other high gainers available. But first, try placing a Tubescreamer in front of the amp to tighten it a bit. You might like this since most guys do this for the real Rectifiers.

Back
Top Bottom