Recto Rev G vs Axe-III

Axe-Master
I posted this in the Tone Matching thread but figured some of you may have missed it, so here's my Recto matched with the III. I know these videos have been done to death but I love reading the comments and listening to what people do or don't hear between the clips; there is a slight volume difference that i'm hearing on the YT clip that i didn't pick up when I shot and edited the clip so take that into account when listening back. I'm shooting another clip with the amp and a mic'd cab at the moment so I'll post that when done.

The comments are hysterical:
- #1 is the real amp, you can clearly hear the difference.
- #2 is clearly the real amp, digital modelers can never recreate that sound.
- #1 is definitely the real amp, I don't know why I can't hear any difference in the third clip, I suspect he didn't actually switch.
- #2 is so much better than #1.
- You suck for not telling us which is which ahead of time so we can confirm our bias.

clip 2 is the III :) clip 1 has a little difference in the low end but other than that it's nearly impossible to tell them apart

Sounds like Rev F vs Rev G comparisson to me.

That makes me think. I bet if you had put “Recto Rev F vs Rev G” on the title without showing nor mentioning the AXE anywhere, no one would have said anything about any of then being digital. They’d be like “oh yeah I like #1 better”

It’s almost like they just want modelers to be bad.

In Clip 3, I think I can hear where it switches because there’s a slight pop.

But still, even knowing (or thinking I know) when the switches are happening I can’t hear a discernible difference.

Very cool, and thanks for holding out on the answer. Keeps us all a bit more honest ;)

I like #1 a little better...but it's about the same difference when you fire up your tube amp on a random day and it sounds just a tad better (or worse) than it did yesterday.
They're so close.

Will you provide the 'answer' (if you haven't already somewhere I haven't seen)? While I understand the appeal of not doing so - perhaps the most useful outcome of this is the understanding that things are so close that it really doesn't matter - it'd still be interesting from an analysis perspective.

How much of a guitar amps tone is the interaction with the speaker? My Plexi doesnt sound as good played through a Suhr reactive load as it does through a real cab. I would not be surprised if I prefer the Axe3 sound over a real amp attenuated. Even if I had the money for a Diezel, 5150 and Recto I can no longer justify the space and weight. I am actually happy when I learn that the modeller I have is sooo close to the real deal that I no longer care.

From my similar experience doing this with the 5150 I suspect clip 1 is the axe fx and 2 is the real amp. Palm mutes are usually the give away for me, usually sounding slightly more brittle/undergained. Cant wait to be wrong!

I listened on a Dell laptop speaker, but will have a look properly later! Thanks for the A/B.

The comments are hysterical:
- #1 is the real amp, you can clearly hear the difference.
- #2 is clearly the real amp, digital modelers can never recreate that sound.
- #1 is definitely the real amp, I don't know why I can't hear any difference in the third clip, I suspect he didn't actually switch.
- #2 is so much better than #1.
- You suck for not telling us which is which ahead of time so we can confirm our bias.
This. You should announce it reversed. Then do a followup with a third one saying 'Oh wait, my bad I meant it the other way around' a couple days later. The bizarre rationalizations and confirmation bias spinning/reversals would be pure entertainment.

The sad irony here is that there is a 50% chance of a random guess, without even listening, being 'correct' this will lead a bunch of noobs in the YT comments to think they have golden ears.

Thanks for your recent posts @2112 Leon... you have been killing it on your YT channel ever since you got the III and I always grab anything you put on AxeChange some nice reference presets and learning from the vids.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom