• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Recto Rev G vs Axe-III

Fractal Fanatic
I posted this in the Tone Matching thread but figured some of you may have missed it, so here's my Recto matched with the III. I know these videos have been done to death but I love reading the comments and listening to what people do or don't hear between the clips; there is a slight volume difference that i'm hearing on the YT clip that i didn't pick up when I shot and edited the clip so take that into account when listening back. I'm shooting another clip with the amp and a mic'd cab at the moment so I'll post that when done.

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
The comments are hysterical:
- #1 is the real amp, you can clearly hear the difference.
- #2 is clearly the real amp, digital modelers can never recreate that sound.
- #1 is definitely the real amp, I don't know why I can't hear any difference in the third clip, I suspect he didn't actually switch.
- #2 is so much better than #1.
- You suck for not telling us which is which ahead of time so we can confirm our bias.

NeoSound

Fractal Fanatic
clip 2 is the III :) clip 1 has a little difference in the low end but other than that it's nearly impossible to tell them apart

Raab90

Inspired
Sounds like Rev F vs Rev G comparisson to me.

That makes me think. I bet if you had put “Recto Rev F vs Rev G” on the title without showing nor mentioning the AXE anywhere, no one would have said anything about any of then being digital. They’d be like “oh yeah I like #1 better”

It’s almost like they just want modelers to be bad.

Brian Angiel

Inspired
In Clip 3, I think I can hear where it switches because there’s a slight pop.

But still, even knowing (or thinking I know) when the switches are happening I can’t hear a discernible difference.

Very cool, and thanks for holding out on the answer. Keeps us all a bit more honest ;)

BBN

Fractal Fanatic
I like #1 a little better...but it's about the same difference when you fire up your tube amp on a random day and it sounds just a tad better (or worse) than it did yesterday.
They're so close.

Melten

Inspired
Will you provide the 'answer' (if you haven't already somewhere I haven't seen)? While I understand the appeal of not doing so - perhaps the most useful outcome of this is the understanding that things are so close that it really doesn't matter - it'd still be interesting from an analysis perspective.

Daveis

Inspired
How much of a guitar amps tone is the interaction with the speaker? My Plexi doesnt sound as good played through a Suhr reactive load as it does through a real cab. I would not be surprised if I prefer the Axe3 sound over a real amp attenuated. Even if I had the money for a Diezel, 5150 and Recto I can no longer justify the space and weight. I am actually happy when I learn that the modeller I have is sooo close to the real deal that I no longer care.

From my similar experience doing this with the 5150 I suspect clip 1 is the axe fx and 2 is the real amp. Palm mutes are usually the give away for me, usually sounding slightly more brittle/undergained. Cant wait to be wrong!

I listened on a Dell laptop speaker, but will have a look properly later! Thanks for the A/B.

zenaxe

Fractal Fanatic
The comments are hysterical:
- #1 is the real amp, you can clearly hear the difference.
- #2 is clearly the real amp, digital modelers can never recreate that sound.
- #1 is definitely the real amp, I don't know why I can't hear any difference in the third clip, I suspect he didn't actually switch.
- #2 is so much better than #1.
- You suck for not telling us which is which ahead of time so we can confirm our bias.
This. You should announce it reversed. Then do a followup with a third one saying 'Oh wait, my bad I meant it the other way around' a couple days later. The bizarre rationalizations and confirmation bias spinning/reversals would be pure entertainment.

The sad irony here is that there is a 50% chance of a random guess, without even listening, being 'correct' this will lead a bunch of noobs in the YT comments to think they have golden ears.

Thanks for your recent posts @2112 Leon... you have been killing it on your YT channel ever since you got the III and I always grab anything you put on AxeChange some nice reference presets and learning from the vids.

Last edited:
Top Bottom