Recto lovers - come on in!

adew

Inspired
Being a relative newbie it's possible that there has been lots of discussion about the Recto Vintage and Modern amps in the past, but I haven't seen much talk about these models (any Mesa talk being mostly focussed on the Mark models) so, given the FW11 release and much talked about new OH IR's, I thought it would be fun/interesting to hear from other Recto lovers about your tips and tricks to get the best out of these models. I should point out that I'm more a hard rock / punk player than metal (the lowest tuning I ever go to is drop-D), and therefore am especially interested to hear from players in these genres (though all are welcome, of course!). :)

A little background...

For the last 3 years my live/recording/practicing setup has been a 2010 Dual Rec/4x12 rig (spending most of my time playing through Ch3 Modern), so, naturally, I've gravitated towards the Recto models now that I have an Axe. However, frankly I was rather underwhelmed by the FW10 incarnation of the Recto Modern. The FW11 versions seem better, though I understand that the most significant advances in FW11 didn't have a huge impact on this type of amp.

Nevertheless, especially in combination with the new OwnHammer IR's, I'm really enjoying the sounds I'm getting. I won't say I'm 100% satisfied yet (that damn rabbit hole is dangerously near), but I'm getting close to the idealised Dual Rec "sound in my head" - which I'm very happy about. Based on a tip given by another forumite in another thread, the D60 and 6160 models are interesting alternatives, my preference being the D60 as showcased in the D60 More factory preset, whereas I find the 6160 factory preset too fizzy for my taste.

So, what's the opinion on the Recto models? Any tweaks you favour, especially those involving the advanced parameters? Any FW11 presets you care to share? Any alternative amp models that give a good "recto" sound? Come on in and share your Recto stories! :)

My recto storie is that I can't the axe fx ii sound near as good as my ex-Mesa Roadster. One thing that could help alot is to get some better IRs of MESA TRADITIONAL CAB but no one seems have that cab. Except John Petrucci...

We got a million marshalls and IRs but not this one what most people prefer with their real rectos

Oh and I'm still tweaking the fw11 so I can't say anything yet. Gonna try again today and see what happens...

When i use the recto model i use Orange vintage. But i`m not a metal player. Lower gain, saturation on, od pedal in front, Mesa OH IR + Thorn or OH Bogner beta IR.

On the real dual (modern type - 3 channel) i have the clean channel on crunch mode as fav. But i have to almost cranck the amp (both master and channel) and it`s so f... loud.
I like the old tremoverb of 1992 better. Both gain channel and the clean (set on blues) with a BB preamp in front. 2x12 cabs with V30 and greenbacks..

My recto storie is that I can't the axe fx ii sound near as good as my ex-Mesa Roadster.

Ha ha, I know what you mean. I like the sounds I'm getting but they're not the same as my Dual Rec. On the real amp I generally use Ch3 Modern, bridge pickup volume maxed for rhythm and leads, and the neck pickup with vol pot rolled down very low to give me a dark "grubby clean-ish" tone, ideal for moody intros, etc. This latter tone I can't coax out of the Axe at all - it's too clean and too bright. I guess I need to play more with the master volume and perhaps power amp settings.

Also, I agree, would love to see OwnHammer (for example) create some Mesa cab IR's with the same quality as their recent Studio Series. That would be awesome.

IDK why but for me the latest 11.00 versions of the Mesa models are as close as I've ever come to the Mesa tones I was looking for .
With the Dual Rec Modern preset I just added an od block turned up the bass a touch turned down the mid a bit bumped the bass a bit in eq and fussed with the gate a bit and POW . Oh and turned Saturate ON and Bright OFF < that was huge >
With just that I found the best Metal tones - has really so far blown me away.
BTW I own two mesas a MIni Rec and a two channel Triple Recifier so I have lots of real word experience with them .

I use recto red modern a lot.

I'd say always keep the gain around half or less. More can be fun but you get the best out of it about half way IMO.
Turning the bass down etc doesn't make it feel any tighter like a Mark, use a boost, I like clean boosts with the lo cut turned up, but generally if that's the sound you want why use a Recto haha.
If you want a mid heavy sound, don't bother trying to dial it in IMO, use a different amp. Stick to the Recto's strength
Turning the HI-Cut (instead of presence) down I feel adds a nice bit of life to it. It could just be me, but I prefer higher presence (lower hi-cut) settings and darker cabs to the opposite. Records really well.
Keep the master about 10 o'clock, midday max. Unless you're playing loud and through a cab then go nuts hahaha.

I'm using the orange vintage, and I put the cut on, bass down some, depth up, presence up, bright on, treble up, inputdrive to 5ish, and use the stock RW Recto cab, and it chunks pretty hard... still tweaking a bit for 11.

if im honest i've never been that impressed with the recto models in any FW from 7 (when i got my axe II) onwards. They are all a bit boomy sounding to me - i know the amps are like that, but throw and OD in front of the amp and its tightened up nicley - i dont really find that with the rectos on the axe fx. Not complaining - they just arent for me, the mark series amp models are awesome as are all the 5150's and deisels.

if im honest i've never been that impressed with the recto models in any FW from 7 (when i got my axe II) onwards. They are all a bit boomy sounding to me - i know the amps are like that, but throw and OD in front of the amp and its tightened up nicley - i dont really find that with the rectos on the axe fx. Not complaining - they just arent for me, the mark series amp models are awesome as are all the 5150's and deisels.

I'm a huge Recto guy and have spent days and days trying to get want from the Axe, and not really happening. I have a/b against the real thing several times.....and it's never close enough to my liking. I do like the 5150's a lot...

Back
Top Bottom