Recto Clean - How?

RossE

Inspired
I'm doing a gig soon and the 2nd guitar player will be using my regular band mates Axe II. This guy normally plays a Mesa Dual Recto. I'm suppose to come up with good Recto OD and clean presets for him. I've dialed in an OD preset I'm good with, but everything I've come up with for a clean preset blows.

Will be running 15.02. So far I've been working with the new v15 supplied ultrares Cali 4x12 cab.

Does anybody know how to get a good clean tone out of one of the Axe II Recto models?

From the Rectos I have no ideia but you might want to try a USA CLEAN amp model or even the Texas Star clean (lonestar), both with recto IR's

The TXStar is a great clean amp, although as much as I like the Mesa sounds for distortion, aside from the Lonestar, I'm not a fan of the cleans. I go with variants on Fenders every time. Also, I find that smaller cab IRs (1x12 or 2x12) sound better for clean, even if you've got a great overdrive sound using a 4x12 IR. Finding the right IR for clean tones is even more critical than for overdrive, in my opinion.

Great idea on the Lone Star model. He can keep his allegiance to Mesa and will get to try a different amp model at the same time. Thanks.

Any recommendations on killer clean tone cab selections for the Lone Star Clean with a humbucker equipped Les Paul?

Maybe someone here can correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the recto's clean ch is basically a slight variant on the old BF Fender design. I would just use that and call it recto cleans. For the "pushed" clean sound, I like the idea of using the lonestar cleans.

I really like the free TAF IRs for cleans... I don't recall which one at the moment, but they're a good place to start IMO and there aren't that many of them. The *right* one should jump out at you. I've also kinda' been digging the one based on a blue back (IIRC) that Cliff added in the factory slots.

Instead of looking for a Recto clean....why don't you just try to get the best clean possible out of the AXE?

Twin Reverb

I'm doing a gig soon and the 2nd guitar player will be using my regular band mates Axe II. This guy normally plays a Mesa Dual Recto. I'm suppose to come up with good Recto OD and clean presets for him. I've dialed in an OD preset I'm good with, but everything I've come up with for a clean preset blows.

Will be running 15.02. So far I've been working with the new v15 supplied ultrares Cali 4x12 cab.

Does anybody know how to get a good clean tone out of one of the Axe II Recto models?

the usa clean 1 and 2 with firmware 15.02 are incredible and very clean. Lovely.

So this guy wants to use a Recto clean sound... on purpose? So like, this guy said "I, a guitar player in 2014 A.D., voluntarily wish to use the clean channel of a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier" out loud?

Does your friend also like to go to fine steakhouses and order bologna sandwiches?

The Jazz 120 is actually pretty cool. And yep, some people said exactly what I was thinking. Like... does it REALLY have to be a Recto Clean? Like, anybody in the audience won't judge you and say "oh, great clean tone - too bad it's not a recto clean." Listeners and mostly players only care about the BEST tone you can get from this magic box.

Go ahead and try some, there's like a hundred models in the axe fx :). I would use ODS Clean/Triptik or AC20 for starters. Pretty cool cleans in my opinion

I don't know how much things change with significant volume, but at bedroom type volumes even amps like the dirty shirley sound great when you just turn down the guitar volume. I imagine you could take a bit off the gain and get more guitar volume. Not saying go with this, but I believe it opens up your options even more.

Back
Top Bottom