Recto and 5150 gain setting

kevrock

Experienced
I run the typical 808 drive down level up into a 5150 or new Recto block question is I have my gain at 3.75 and I think it still my be to much I listen to a recording of band practice and some of my lower gain patches had better sound I'm still trying to get a good metalcore sound in dropped c with EMG so what do u guys have tour gain and master vol set? I already do the peq thing my patches are close just wanting to know where you guys set gain and MV on these high gain amps

send from Droid

Try having the master at like 3-4. If anything, you can also turn down the mix value on the 808 and that'll back off the gain but it might not be as tight.

I use the same models as well, 808 drive with gain at 0 (just to add some flavor only), and Rectifier or 5150 with gain around 3 - 4.5 (depending upon whether I am recording or playing live) and master around 5.5 - 6. I am not a big fan of EMG as they sound too saturated for my taste, but Dimarzio Crunch Lab does the job for me.

Infact one of our demos "Set me free" was recorded using 808 OD, 5150 and Recto New model.
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/ultra-std-recordings/39810-our-new-demos-using-axe-fx.html#post539437

No higher gain for live, and lower gain for recording. Lower gain to tighten up the sound, higher gain to hide my sloppy playing. :)

In recording you usually layer multiple guitar tracks so you dont want too much distortion, else everything will sound messy.

Yep as izzyprad said, less gain will clean up your tone. Basically turn the gain back. Turn it back again. Once more. Feels weird? Turn it back a smidge more. It'll feel weird but trust me for recording it is essential that your guitars not be gained balls deep. That's why periphery and djent bands have tight guitar playing. They use as little gain as possible which tightens playing. Also it applies for metal in general. The reason a lot of guitars sound huge on an album is because they quad track guitars. Basically that means they play the song once, and then play it again and record both of those takes. It has to be really meticulously well played or else it sounds like garbage but the end product is fantastically huge beefy tone. One guitar is usually panned hard left or right then the second track is panned 70-80 left or right. The process is done for both guitars if there are two guitarists.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom