Recreating Darkglass X Ultra

Xaruh

Hey guys,

I wanted to kinda "recreate" the effect of the "Darkglass X Ultra" - Pedal.
XUltra-large.jpg

The purpose of this pedal is the "split" of the bass sound.
All the low end is left "clean" and all the high frequencies are distorted.

So I came across with this idea:
Screenshot (490).png

Screenshot (491).png

So I split my Bass Signal with the X Over into to chains.
The low end with everything below 225Hz.
The low end goes through a Tube Pre AMP.
The high frequencies are getting distorted by an PVH 5105.

In the end there is an GEQ to shape the sound a little bit more.

Now I am struggeling to achieve 1 more function:

1. I need some kind of "High Pass Filter" (Little Right Knob on the Pedal) Which modification can I use for this and how do I achieve the same effect?

Iam not that experienced in AXE FX and it would be great to get some help from you!

Greetings

You can use a filter block set to high-pass.

You can also use two filter blocks before the amps, instead of the crossover and panning, if you want some overlap between the clean low end and the distorted part. You have just to put a low pass filter before the clean amp and a high pass filter before the distorted one. Your approach is surely more usable when setup tho.

I use a similar approach for bass. I’m in Axe Fx III, so forgive me if you don’t have any of these in your unit - I use a crossover sending everything above 800 hz to a Dark glass B7K (black glass in the unit) with the mix at 100%, everything below 800 hz is routed around the B7K. Both signals are running into the Ampeg SVT amp + Mesa 4x10 1x15 cab. It’s awesome. Some like to keep the low side as a pure DI, but I found that the amp + cab sim ties it together nicely. I also have a compressor at the beginning of the chain and another after the low end crossover. Apologies if this doesn’t help you, I just really love this tone. I tune bass really low so this is pretty much the only way it cuts through the mix without muddying up the lows.

Yeah! I changed the chain like you said. Its much better with the filters before the AMPS!
Do I set the GEQ before the AMPS or after?

I have set the Lowpass on 225Hz and the Highpass on 750Hz. What settings do you have there?

I also tune to F# with an .170 string.

I would love to get that distorted sound even on the low:

Back
Top Bottom