Recreate Aphex Exciter effect

Although they're alternatives to each other, the BBE Sonic Maximizer isn't' an exciter. So an EQ alone will get you there. An exciter adds harmonics so you will need a bit of distortion do replicate it.

Although they're alternatives to each other, the BBE Sonic Maximizer isn't' an exciter. So an EQ alone will get you there. An exciter adds harmonics so you will need a bit of distortion do replicate it.
The sound that the Aphex Aural Exciter produces (added harmonics and all) can be duplicated via EQ matching as easily as the BBE, and that's one reason I think "exciter" vs. "enhancer", within the context of this discussion, is a difference without any notable distinction.

Last edited:
The sound that the BBE Sonic Maximizer produces can definitely be reproduced with enough accuracy using a parametric EQ that I'd challenge anyone to try and successfully differentiate between the two in a blind test.
Could be, I'm more familiar with the Aphex version, owned a cheap one, and researched the circuit.

Not that it's a particularly great effect IMO. Used sparingly it can add apparent clarity, but overuse across multiple instruments tends towards unpleasant buildup of harshness and artificiality.

Could be, I'm more familiar with the Aphex version, owned a cheap one, and researched the circuit.
The sound of the Aphex Exciter can be replicated with EQ matching, too.

Not that it's a particularly great effect IMO. Used sparingly it can add apparent clarity, but overuse across multiple instruments tends towards unpleasant buildup of harshness and artificiality.
Personally, I prefer the sound of the BBE, but it's definitely an effect I use sparingly when I have used it.

The sound that the Aphex Aural Exciter produces (added harmonics and all) can be duplicated via EQ matching as easily as the BBE, and that's one reason I think "exciter" vs. "enhancer", within the context of this discussion, is a difference without any notable distinction.

Back to my original question everyone:
Jason, how do you recommend setting up a the EQ or PEQ block to replicate the Aphex exciter effect?

No, I do not at the moment. Do you have suggestions on how to replicate it the effect?
I have the emulated version of the Aphex Exciter from Waves. That version is based on a vintage (and extremely rare) unit, and the controls are far simpler than the current version from Aphex. I've been able to accurately reproduce the effect with EQ matching, but I haven't spent much time trying to work out the frequency curve with a PEQ because, quite frankly, I'm not particularly crazy about the effect the Aphex produces, so I don't have exact frequencies and Q values for you. However, with a bit of time and effort, it's definitely doable. That said, I did play around with it for about 10 or 15 minutes earlier, and I think a fairly good starting point would be a 2.5 dB low shelf cut at around 645 Hz, a couple of bands with a -12 dB cut at around 1215 Hz using a very narrow Q, and a boost at around 9 kHz with a very wide Q (eg. 2.5). The last band (ie. 9 kHz) determines how much of the effect you want based on how much boost you add. Anyway, those are just approximate values, but they'll definitely get you in the ballpark.

If you do manage to get your hands on a unit though, I can tell you how I'd go about working out the frequencies and Q values.

Jason, your description sounds similar to a "tilt eq":

tilt.png

Jason, your description sounds similar to a "tilt eq"

A tilt is different. The curve I'm describing consists of a low shelf, a deep notch at around 1215 Hz, and a boost at around 9 kHz using a peak filter with a very wide Q.

PEQ.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom