Recording with the Axe

Ytolyccuz

Inspired
Hi,

It's my first time to record with the Axe Fx 2. I have managed to do a somewhat successful reamp test but I feel that my workflow is pretty inefficient.

Question 1: Realtime Track Auditioning with other tracks.
My problem is when I try to audition the track for reamping with another processed track. Is there a way to hear the other tracks in realtime along with the playback being reamped?​

Question 2: Playback for reamped track
After I do the reamp, I switch the input on the axe fx 2 back to analog in1. Is there a better way to play back a reamped track?
Thanks in advance!

We need to know what DAW you are using and then I'm sure somebody will provide some help

We need to know what DAW you are using and then I'm sure somebody will provide some help

Sorry I forgot to include that info. Here is what I did:

Reamping and Recabbing Workflow

Reaping Only
  1. Record Raw Guitar
  2. Re-amp

Reamp + Recab
  1. Record Raw Guitar
  2. Re-amp
  3. Recab Auditioning
  4. Bounce Recab’d Track

Step 1: Recording the Raw Signal
  1. Axe Fx: set I/O Main Input Source to Analog (In 1)
  2. Ableton Live Audio Settings:
    • Input: Axe Fx 2,
    • Output Axe Fx 2,
    • Latency 128,
  3. Create Audio Track: Raw Guitar
    • Audio From: Ext. In, 3/4
    • Audio To: Ext. Out, 1/2
    • Monitor: Off
  4. Arm and Activate Track. All others should be deactivated.
  5. Record.

Step 2a: Reamping without Recab
  1. Create Audio Track: Guitar Preamp
    • Audio From: Ext. In, 1/2
    • Audio To: Master
  2. Axe Fx: Test Shortlisted Presets for Reamping
  3. Axe Fx: set I/O Main Input Source to USB
  4. Activate Raw Signal Track all others should be deactivated.
  5. Arm Processed Guitar Sound Track.
  6. Record.

Step 2b: Reamping for Recab
  1. Create Audio Track: Guitar Cab
    • Audio From: No Input
    • Monitor: Auto
  2. Create Audio Track: Guitar Preamp
    • Audio From: Ext. 1n 1/2
  3. Axe Fx: Test Shortlisted Presets for Reamping
  4. Axe Fx: set I/O to USB
  5. Axe Fx: Disable Cab Block
  6. Activate Raw Signal Track all others should be deactivated.
  7. Arm Guitar Preamp Track
  8. Record.

Step 3: Recab Auditioning
  2. Create Audio Track: Guitar Preamp
    • Audio From: Ext. 1n 1/2
    • Audio To: Guitar Cab
  3. Assign Cab Lab 3 VST plugin to Guitar Cab audio track.
  4. Deactivate all tracks apart from Guitar Preamp and Guitar Cab audio tracks.
  5. Set a loop and Playback both Guitar Preamp and Guitar Cab audio tracks. Include other background tracks necessary to audition the Guitar Cab Mix.
  6. Cab Lab 3:
    • Test / Audition, Set cabinets and mixes
    • Save Cab Lab 3 Session.
  7. Once a cab mix has been set, Arm Guitar Cab audio track
  8. Record.

Bouncing Recab’d Track
  2. Create Audio Track: Baked Cab
  3. Set Audio Track: Guitar Cab
    • Audio To: Baked Cab
  4. Activate audio tracks: Guitar Cab and Baked Cab. Deactivate others.
  5. Arm Baked Cab audio track.
  6. Record.

I would like to add, when I tested the Reamped audio track with the cabinet blocked enabled and compared it with the Recab'd Preamp recording, the result is identical apart from the Recab'd recording being slightly louder by about 2-3 dBs. Could this be caused by the difference between the Cab Block enabled and The cabinet mix being form cab lab 3 plugin (please see attached recipe)? Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 3.18.34 AM.png 69.jpg Any ideas why?

I don't use Ableton so I'm not in a position to offer advice about your DAW settings. Hopefully somebody else will chip in with some help.

I'm planning on doing a video with various reamping techniques. Usb, spdif, aggregate devices and maybe another one. If only to serve the purpose of getting my own head around it.

If your using usb you can't monitor other tracks unprocessed while reamping. That is unless you have a Mac and use an aggregate device on the internal sound chip...

I still can't get revamping to work over spdif. Having an issue sending the signal dry guitar back into the axe for reamping. Via protools. I have up for the time being.

I still can't get revamping to work over spdif. Having an issue sending the signal dry guitar back into the axe for reamping. Via protools. I have up for the time being.
I too ran into this problem where my spdif out wasn't seen In Cubase. I did manage to do it though . These are my notes , probably no help to you if you have a different interface.

* Reamping

* Record S/PDIF
* Set Axe FX patch for Dry and Tone
* Left Tone
* Right dry

* To re amp
* Ur28m internal clock
* UR28m Mix 1 selected
* Axe fx IO to S/PDIF
* Ur28m S/PDIF out DAW 1
* Dry tack input S/PDIF dry (S/PDIF right)/ Output S/PDIF output (daw 1)
* Reamped track Input S/PDIF L Tone / Output Stereo/Left/Right

Not sure what operating system you are using but re-amping while auditioning is pretty trivial to do in Linux with an audio interface especially if you have one with spdif. You can route the audio to axe FX via spdif using jackd while listening or recording analog outs from axe. The other tracks and audio can be sent to your interface directly without being sent to axe FX. I assume you can do same with jackd in osx or Windows.

The Axe-Fx USB Audio Interface is 4in 2out. 2 out you need to audition a stereo track (DAW sum f.ex.). So you would need a third out to reamp a guitar DI signal at once. That`s the reason it will not work.

I recommend to do it via SPDIF with an external audio interface.

One more thing, can any one please point me to the best thread in here for best practices for recording with an Axe Fx 2? Just want to make sure I'm doing everything right. Thanks!

Hey guys and gals! New Axe FX II XL + user. This was very helpful for my Ableton Live 9 recording. How about the same step-by-step for Logic Pro X??

I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom