Recording with the Atomic FR cabs

guittarzzan

Inspired
I was just reading up on the Atomic FR passive cab and am curious if any of you have done any recording with one of these?

Having a tweeter makes the idea miking (yes, that's how I spell it) up a cab much more complex. I'm sitting here with a Mesa 2x12 and a VHT 4x12 that I'm really not using, but am not sure a FR cab would be the way to go for me if I'm just recording. It seems it'd be easier to maybe just dial in my presets to liking using a standard cab.

What are your thoughts on this?

thanks,
Steve

Exactly. FR monitors (such as the Atomics) amplify the source signal without coloring, with the use of cab sims. So there's no need at all to mic the speaker, in fact that just makes it more difficult. Just go direct into the mixing table or computer.

If you've got a M-Audio Fast Track Pro, I think you can hook the Axe-Fx to the Atomic via XLR In and the Atomic to the Interface via XLR Thru.
But as it is a Thru (and not a Out), it's like hooking directly the Axe-Fx to the M-Audio Fast Track Pro. You just can listen to your Atomic at the same time !!!

I'd say it's worth a try. There are no rules. I'd be interested in hearing your results. I have a new found appreciation of real feedback in my recordings.

I think I'll keep it simple. I'll just keep the cabs I have and dial in presets to sound how I want through them. For live a FR would be cool, but I think it'd be a can of worms for tracking guits.

cheers,
Steve

guittarzzan said:
I think I'll keep it simple. I'll just keep the cabs I have and dial in presets to sound how I want through them. For live a FR would be cool, but I think it'd be a can of worms for tracking guits.

cheers,
Steve

I think you got it backwards. FRFR really shines and shows it advantages in a recording environment such as a studio or at home, where you can record silently and you don't need so-called in-the-room feeling. Live you can normally crank your amps and mic them anyway. Of course FRFR also has big advantages live, but IMO for most people it's much easier to get it working while recording.

Back
Top Bottom