Recording with Pro Tools Input Level too low

siin82

Inspired
I am new to Fractal and did a search and found a few answers, but none that were very satisfying on this topic.

I am using Axe Fx III as an DI into Pro Tools using inputs 7/8. The recording level is around -40 db. I have adjusted the input level and that seems to have no affect. I saw someone from Fractal say in another post, don't worry about it. But when trying to match up to other instruments recorded in the session, it requires way more work than it should to get volumes across the track balanced. Essentially, all other instruments will need to be turned way down and then the whole track turned up in the master fader. Again, that does not seem right.

Am I doing something wrong?

That seems low. However, keep in mind, the goal of the DI level is not to maximize the S/N ratio with a healthy signal level. The goal is to match the input you're getting with your guitar. In other words, if you're happy with the input level and tone of your processed guitar, then that Di is what you want in order to precisely mimic your guitar when it comes time to reamp.

If you find you need to boost the input in order to get your processed guitar to sound satisfactory, the way to do that is with the input gain, not the input level.

That seems low. However, keep in mind, the goal of the DI level is not to maximize the S/N ratio with a healthy signal level. The goal is to match the input you're getting with your guitar. In other words, if you're happy with the input level and tone of your processed guitar, then that Di is what you want in order to precisely mimic your guitar when it comes time to reamp.

If you find you need to boost the input in order to get your processed guitar to sound satisfactory, the way to do that is with the input gain, not the input level.
Thanks!

A few questions:

1. Where do you adjust input gain?
2. What if I'm not reamping? I don't see why I would need to reamp if my sounds is right going in. Or should I be reamping?

The purpose of recording a DI is usually to reamp, either through a plugin or an outboard device. In any case, recording the DI from the AxeFX is a faithful recording of the input from your guitar. If the level is low, the most common explanation would be that you have low output pickups and it is faithfully recording that low output.

The purpose of recording a DI is usually to reamp, either through a plugin or an outboard device. In any case, recording the DI from the AxeFX is a faithful recording of the input from your guitar. If the level is low, the most common explanation would be that you have low output pickups and it is faithfully recording that low output.
I have a Steinberg UR242. The reason why I thought I should use the Axe Fx as the DI was so that I can record in Stereo. If I record through the Steinberg, it will be mono.

Am I missing something?

Btw, my hottest PU is an EMG passive. That still records at around -35 DBs.

From the manual:

COMPUTER INPUTS 7+8
Source: The signal at your choice of input jacks, 2, 3 or 4. (Left = 7, Right= 8)
Make this selection in SETUP : I/O : Audio : USB Output 7,8 Source
Applications: Record a stereo source without processing.

For this tutorial, we will record both the processed output and the DI.

1. In your DAW, select Axe-Fx III as the main audio interface. Set the main outputs to Axe-Fx III Outputs 1+2.

2. Create a new project in the DAW, and set its sample rate to 48kHz. Record or insert any backing tracks.

3. Connect your guitar to the Instrument input and select a preset well-suited to the material you’re recording.

4. For this tutorial, we will record both the processed output and the DI.

Create a mono track. Name this track something like “Guitar DI”. Set its input to Input 5. This is the DI
output of the Axe-Fx III. This will record the signal at the Input 1 Instrument jack with no processing.

Create a stereo track. Name this track something like “Guitar Reference 1”. Set its inputs to Axe-Fx III
Inputs 1+2. This will record the processed guitar signal sent on the grid to the OUT 1 block.

5. Arm both of your guitar tracks for recording, making sure that Software/Input Monitoring is NOT enabled.

6. Hit RECORD and roll the track. You should see signal on both tracks. Be aware: while the processed track will

show “hot” levels, the signal level on a DI track will appear to be very low. This is NORMAL! You are recording
the instrument level signal exactly as it comes out of your guitar with no pre-amplfication.

From the manual:

COMPUTER INPUTS 7+8
Source: The signal at your choice of input jacks, 2, 3 or 4. (Left = 7, Right= 8)
Make this selection in SETUP : I/O : Audio : USB Output 7,8 Source
Applications: Record a stereo source without processing.

For this tutorial, we will record both the processed output and the DI.

1. In your DAW, select Axe-Fx III as the main audio interface. Set the main outputs to Axe-Fx III Outputs 1+2.

2. Create a new project in the DAW, and set its sample rate to 48kHz. Record or insert any backing tracks.

3. Connect your guitar to the Instrument input and select a preset well-suited to the material you’re recording.

4. For this tutorial, we will record both the processed output and the DI.

Create a mono track. Name this track something like “Guitar DI”. Set its input to Input 5. This is the DI
output of the Axe-Fx III. This will record the signal at the Input 1 Instrument jack with no processing.

Create a stereo track. Name this track something like “Guitar Reference 1”. Set its inputs to Axe-Fx III
Inputs 1+2. This will record the processed guitar signal sent on the grid to the OUT 1 block.

5. Arm both of your guitar tracks for recording, making sure that Software/Input Monitoring is NOT enabled.

6. Hit RECORD and roll the track. You should see signal on both tracks. Be aware: while the processed track will

show “hot” levels, the signal level on a DI track will appear to be very low. This is NORMAL! You are recording
the instrument level signal exactly as it comes out of your guitar with no pre-amplfication.
Thanks!

I thought this was only for reamping, but this actually works. Although I used a stereo track for the DI.

I'm getting closer...have one more issue. The input level on the 2nd recording track is too high. That's output 1+2 in the usb. How do I turn those down?

Thanks!

I thought this was only for reamping, but this actually works. Although I used a stereo track for the DI.

I'm getting closer...have one more issue. The input level on the 2nd recording track is too high. That's output 1+2 in the usb. How do I turn those down?
I/O: USB/AES PAGE

The USB/AES page of the I/O menu contains parameters to adjust the levels of USB and AES inputs.
USB 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 – These parameters adjust USB Input levels from -40 to +20 dB. Remember that from the
perspective of the Axe-Fx, a “USB Input” is used for computer playback; audio is routed from the computer to a
USB input of the Axe-Fx, and levels can be cut or boosted here. Be careful not to boost overall levels to the point
of output clipping.

I/O: USB/AES PAGE

The USB/AES page of the I/O menu contains parameters to adjust the levels of USB and AES inputs.
USB 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 – These parameters adjust USB Input levels from -40 to +20 dB. Remember that from the
perspective of the Axe-Fx, a “USB Input” is used for computer playback; audio is routed from the computer to a
USB input of the Axe-Fx, and levels can be cut or boosted here. Be careful not to boost overall levels to the point
of output clipping.
Thanks for your help.

I actually had to adjust the level in the output block of my preset. I set that to -30 dBs and then I was in the range that I could adjust in Pro Tools. Adjusting the output on the USB didn't do it.

Last edited:
I had to set the master output in the setup section to the +4db choice, in order to provide the signal strength more suitable to my recording setup. That seems to work ok unless it is a particularity hot preset.

I had to set the master output in the setup section to the +4db choice, in order to provide the signal strength more suitable to my recording setup. That seems to work ok unless it is a particularity hot preset.
That should have no impact when using the Axe Fx as the interface, which is what this thread is about.

Is there a way to globally set what I am now doing in the output block of each preset (set to -30 dB)?

That's a big adjustment. That might indicate something wrong in your presets or your signal chain. Do the factory presets require that much adjustment?

That's a big adjustment. That might indicate something wrong in your presets or your signal chain. Do the factory presets require that much adjustment?

So, I don't know what changed, but I was able to set the output to -6 dBs and it wasn't clipping.

Thanks for the input.

Back
Top Bottom