Recording with AxeFX 2: USB vs Audio interface in 2018

eayottes

Hi,

I'm a new AxeFX 2 XT+ owner. I've just received it by mail but I haven't connected it yet. I've read part of the manual and many thread posts on how to connect the AxeFX2 for recording in a DAW via USB or via an audio interface. I would like to (in)validate some points before going forward.

To make sure the context is clear, here's what I'm currently using:

Computer: 2017 iMac
DAW: Logic pro X
Audio interface: Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre

1. If I connect directly the AxeFX via USB, I've read about some audio problems on Mac (on the AxeFX Wiki). Are these issues still present in 2018 (new firmware, Mac OS updates, etc.) ?

2. Right now I'm leaning towards connecting two unbalanced outputs of the AxeFX to two inputs of my audio interface with 1/4 TS-cables as well as connecting my monitors and keyboard to my audio interface. The AxeFX would be connected to my computer via USB (mainly for axe-edit).

In that context, how would I set gain levels ? For AxeFX inputs, the documentation is clear: "Adjust according to the level of input source material until “hot” signals “tickle” the red LEDs on the front panel INPUT meters." For AxeFX outputs, my understanding is that one has to max the output levels on the AxeFX and then increase gradually the input levels on the audio interface (reducing the AxeFX's output levels only if the signal is too hot even when audio interface inputs are at their minimum). Is that correct and if not, what is a proper way to procede ?

If I use my audio interface to record in a DAW (as opposed to the AxeFX), would I still be able to record both wet and dry signals ?

Apologies in advance for my noobness and thanks for your help :)

Back
Top Bottom