Recording with audio interface sounds different

davezip

can anyone tell me if there's something i should change on a patch when recording with an audio interface into cubase ,the patch sounds great though my speakers when just using the edit software ,but it changes when recording it flat. goes very muddy and bass heavy , cheers

there's nothing wrong with your preset. there's something wrong with your recording setup. if it sounds great while monitoring, it should sound exactly the same on playback. you'll need to give us exact details about your signal chain.

Usually you can hear the guitar itself when recording because you’re playing it. This can make it sound brighter. Turn up so you can’t hear the strings or use isolation headphones.

Is it collapsing to mono?

maybe post recordings and a patch?

I think you're right.

I'll post sounds and presets a little bit later, but this is my setup:

Guitar --> FM3 --> Output 1 & 2 --> Interface (Steinberg CI1) input's 1 & 2 --> Interface (Steinberg CI1) output's 1 & 2 --> Monitors (Yamaha H5)

Using Reaper to record.

So when I recorded before I would just insert a new track and had it set to 'input: mono' -> Steinberg CI1 (probably input 1)

Then I tried recording by changing it to 'input: stereo' -> Steinberg CI1/Steinberg CI1. Now I could see two individual sound waves being recorded on a single track, but during playback it still sounded essentially the same as the first method.

Then I tried recording on 2 different tracks simultaneously, both set to 'input: mono' -> Steinberg CI1, but one being the first input and one being the second (actually there are no labels indicating input 1 or input 2, but w/e). Now when I playback the recording t sounds much closer, if not, exactly the way I hear when I play it. So is this the correct way to do it? I should always be recording to 2 tracks simultaneously?

Attachments

• Recording.png
    Recording.png
    138.4 KB · Views: 13
You should be able to record on a single track set to stereo. You'll want the inputs to be 1 & 2.

if the interface has a mixer app, check to make sure these inputs are panned L & R.

There were 2 things causing this to happen with my setup (Logic Pro X)

1- The session was in 44khz, and the AxeFX outputs 48kHz, bouncing tracks down muddied up the guitar tone, almost like putting a blanket on it.

2- Logic has a Normalizing feature that was making all my mixes sound like trash, turning it off gave me exactly what I was hearing in the DAW pre-bounce.

Not sure if this is part of the reason you’re having issues, but it sounds like the same problem.

There were 2 things causing this to happen with my setup (Logic Pro X)

1- The session was in 44khz, and the AxeFX outputs 48kHz, bouncing tracks down muddied up the guitar tone, almost like putting a blanket on it.

2- Logic has a Normalizing feature that was making all my mixes sound like trash, turning it off gave me exactly what I was hearing in the DAW pre-bounce.

Not sure if this is part of the reason you’re having issues, but it sounds like the same problem.

It's a little late where I am, but I know that Reaper was recording at 44.1 KHz, so I will try tomorrow changing it to 48kHz and see what happens.

Something like this has been happening to me too, only it happens to the live sound, not the recording. Best I can describe it is sort of like I have a flanger effect on it...sort of? Like you're hearing it in tunnel or something. Only it happens to the live signal as I'm playing. I haven't actually tried recording that sound, but I guess I should, to see if it ends up on the track.

I've been using Garage Band as like a scratchpad to get down ideas down quickly and noticed that when it's running for a few minutes, my sounds gets all weird. So I started using Studio One Prime instead, but have noticed the same thing. And it's not like it's set to sound that way, because when I first begin recording everything will sound normal. It's only after a few minutes that this happens. Not sure the cause or how to fix it, but it's damned obnoxious.

Something like this has been happening to me too, only it happens to the live sound, not the recording. Best I can describe it is sort of like I have a flanger effect on it...sort of? Like you're hearing it in tunnel or something. Only it happens to the live signal as I'm playing. I haven't actually tried recording that sound, but I guess I should, to see if it ends up on the track.

I've been using Garage Band as like a scratchpad to get down ideas down quickly and noticed that when it's running for a few minutes, my sounds gets all weird. So I started using Studio One Prime instead, but have noticed the same thing. And it's not like it's set to sound that way, because when I first begin recording everything will sound normal. It's only after a few minutes that this happens. Not sure the cause or how to fix it, but it's damned obnoxious.

It sounds like you might have input monitoring turned on when you shouldn't, but without knowing the details about what you're doing and what you're trying to do, it's impossible to offer any specific advice. I'd suggest looking at the recording guide for instructions about how to set things up: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

It sounds like you might have input monitoring turned on when you shouldn't, but without knowing the details about what you're doing and what you're trying to do, it's impossible to offer any specific advice. I'd suggest looking at the recording guide for instructions about how to set things up: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/
Thanks, I'll check that out! I'm not doing anything anything unusual, just recording guitar tracks on Studio One or GarageBand. Guitar into Input 1, FM3 into my MacBook using the USB. And I hear it whether I've got cans on or I'm playing through the monitors.

Today it happened w/in 5 minutes of opening the software. All I'd done is record 1 track in stereo, about :30 of a riff I was working up.

yes, i was going to say that too. input monitoring or software monitoring is enabled. if you turn your buffer size up as large as it will go, that round trip audio will take so long to go round that you'll actually hear it as a slapback delay. i suspect that the delay is currently so short you can barely hear it until it wanders by a few milliseconds and then you hear it phasing with the original audio.

Back
Top Bottom